Clip On rear view mirror

The rear view mirror in my Mustang has some weird corrosion going on all around the edge on the glass part, it does not impair my visibility but it looks like crap.

I absolutely will NOT remove the part where it connects to the windshield, I don't need the hassle.

I thought about trying to buy a piece of mirror that I could just put over the junky looking one and use some double sided tape to secure it....not sure where/how I can find something that will fit almost perfectly. Maybe I should trace the area and then go into AZ/AAP and look at their replacement mirrors and see if there is an almost exact fit, then disassemble the replacement mirror so I can pull the glass out?

Or maybe a clip on? There are a few on the market, does anyone have experience with these?

I'm not looking to spend much on this, I'm not going to go junkyard surfing either.

I have seen the type of mirror damage you describe only on the side mirrors. If you don't mind losing the dimmer/anti-dazzle feature, put a slightly larger accessory mirror over the old one. It doesn't have to be The Lane Changer. I'd replace rhe whole mirror assembly with a new or used one.

These are called "first surface" mirrors, so the silvering is the first thing the light hits. NOT llike a regular mirror glas which is silvered on the rear side of the glass.
So, in other words, not just any mirror will do for this job. Best to just get a new one. Unless you can find replacement glass. Maybe a glass service can help you out.

I have seen the type of mirror damage you describe only on the side mirrors. If you don't mind losing the dimmer/anti-dazzle feature, put a slightly larger accessory mirror over the old one. It doesn't have to be The Lane Changer. I'd replace rhe whole mirror assembly with a new or used one.
My mechanic put my inspection sticker (Maine) under my rearview mirror, but not high enough, so I could see the lower edge of the sticker under my mirror and it was driving my OCD crazy.

I bought this off Amazon as it was larger than my stock mirror in an effort to hide the sticker... which it did.

Clipped right on, and very sturdy... as mentioned I lost the dimmer feature... and it gave a freakily wide view, perfect I guess if you need to see behind you, blind spots, and kids in the back seat all at the same time.

I liked it, but 3 weeks later my rearview mirror fell off (the adhesive on the metal tab connected to the windshield glass let go). Granted this was a hot day, and the car is 16 years old, but I cannot help but think that maybe the extra weight of the clip on mirror contributed (although it does not feel that heavy).

I have not reinstalled the clip on mirror. If my rearview had not fallen off, I would still happily be using it today, but I do not want to tempt fate.

For the price, I say give it a shot.

I tell you what in fact... @Barkleymut ... PM me your address and I will send you the above mirror... no charge.

Last edited:
My mechanic put my inspection sticker (Maine) under my rearview mirror, but not high enough, so I could see the lower edge of the sticker under my mirror and it was driving my OCD crazy.

I bought this off Amazon as it was larger than my stock mirror in an effort to hide the sticker... which it did.

Clipped right on, and very sturdy... as mentioned I lost the dimmer feature... and it gave a freakily wide view, perfect I guess if you need to see behind you, blind spots, and kids in the back seat all at the same time.

I liked it, but 3 weeks later my rearview mirror fell off (the adhesive on the metal tab connected to the windshield glass let go). Granted this was a hot day, and the car is 16 years old, but I cannot help but think that maybe the extra weight of the clip on mirror contributed (although it does not feel that heavy).

I have not reinstalled the clip on mirror. If my rearview had not fallen off, I would still happily be using it today, but I do not want to tempt fate.

For the price, I say give it a shot.

I tell you what in fact... @Barkleymut ... PM me your address and I will send you the above mirror... no charge.
I have one of these clip on mirrors that works great, love the wide rear view. ;)

Back