My side mirrors look distorted, is there are fix for this?

I bought a new-to-me 2012 Honda Fit Base and the car's been all right but one of the most bothersome things about it are the side mirrors: they're distorted! So did I get a defective unit? Or was it replaced by an aftermarket unit by the previous owner? NOPE! This is how they are from the factory. I verified this by checking out a neighbor's Honda Fit, they're all like that.

Now, to clarify what I mean by distorted: people appear squished or tall or bent, think sort-of like funhouse mirrors (but of course not that exaggerated.)

Another way I know it's distorted is that I have a 2007 Corolla, and the side mirrors look absolutely natural: people and cars look like they do naturally.

So, I was thinking one way I might deal with this is to replace it with an aftermarket unit, but how does one know that the aftermarket unit isn't also 'distorted'? The answer is there would be no way to know until I purchased it.

Another possibility I wondered about is if there are auto glass places that do custom cuts of these mirrors. Do such businesses exist?

How would you handle this? Yes, it's *VERY* bothersome, it makes me a bit nauseous. It's a near deal-breaker (but I already bought it, lol.)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

There are glass places that custom cut glass and mirrors. Look in any yellow-pages under glass. They can cut glass and mirrors to almost any size or shape. Take your vehicle to them. They probably can remove the mirror that is in there, and glue in a new one without distortion for you. Because the side mirrors are small, it probably will not be very expensive.

Last edited:
I though that side view mirror are a safety item and as such are required to meet certain mininum standards, as such if they are defective and do not meet the standard they should have been recalled. Have you checked online to see if there is a recall for this? If not repot it to the NHTSA and contact Honda. The last thing an automotive company wants is to be sued for something like this, just the negative press costs millions.

There are glass places that custom cut glass and mirrors. Look in any yellow-pages under glass. They can cut glass and mirrors to almost any size or shape. Take your vehicle to them. They probably can remove the mirror that is in there, and glue in a new one without distortion for you. Because the side mirrors are small, it probably will not be very expensive.
That's really good to hear! That is what I will do (but I won't be looking at the Yellow pages.) Thanks.

Sounds like aftermarket mirror glass to me.
They're original, one can tell based on the fit/finish and matching color to the car (also I checked my neighbor's mirrors and they are JUST like that!)

I though that side view mirror are a safety item and as such are required to meet certain mininum standards, as such if they are defective and do not meet the standard they should have been recalled. Have you checked online to see if there is a recall for this? If not repot it to the NHTSA and contact Honda. The last thing an automotive company wants is to be sued for something like this, just the negative press costs millions.
I seem to be only person with a problem with them, people on FitFreak.net seem perfectly happy.. go figure.

Dorman makes replacement glass for around $20. Might be worth trying before going for custom cut glass.

I suspect if you put on "normal" mirrors, you will see why the factory used the distorted ones in the first place. Most likely is that way to fit more "picture" into view due to geometry.

The rear view mirror on my Tacoma squishes everything in horizontally as well, but it's meant to capture everything visible through the back window and none of the interior.

My guess would be they are blind spot mirrors. Click on the link below and scroll down in the thread to the pictures someone posted. What I see there are blind spot mirrors of rather low quality. I have blind spot mirrors on my BMW. They are flat for the most part. The outermost 1/4 of the mirror is convex to eliminate the blind spot. This works well and while there is distortion, it is even and nothing like the ones in a funhouse mirror. The Honda mirrors in the linked thread look terrible.

Last edited:
Which mirror are you talking about? The passenger mirror is usually convex which causes the distortion, the drivers side is usually just a regular mirror. You may need to adjust it to get used to it properly, it's supposed to help get rid of blind spots.

photos photos sir, because they worth thousands of words or ill take photos of mine CRV side mirrors and put it here instead

photos photos sir, because they worth thousands of words or ill take photos of mine CRV side mirrors and put it here instead

That's a good idea: I will take photos showing these distortions on the Honda Fit, and also photos of the Corolla mirrors where it looks absolutely natural, so the difference can be seen.

I will have that ready soon, thank you so much everyone for chiming in!

Honda has been using a wide angle mirror on the drivers side mirror for years now. Are you sure it’s not that? My old 2013 Accord had that.

I heard something about this some time back. Apparently Honda was trying to avoid a blind spot so they purposely made the mirror to open that up but the result was not the best. This was on their van. How much of a blind spot does a Fit have?

artworks-000278574128-89uy6f-t500x500.jpg

Most cars are like that.

Honda has been using a wide angle mirror on the drivers side mirror for years now. Are you sure it’s not that? My old 2013 Accord had that.
that's the thing he is pointing to I think

2015-Honda-CR-V-Side-Mirror.jpg

europeans are using this since the late 90s aka Golf MKIV

I've had a blind side mirror on my driver's side mirror for decades. One of the first things I buy when I get a new car. Makes switching lanes to the left effortless, a little trickier for the right. I still look over my shoulder as a last minute check even after checking the passenger mirror.

Hey folks, I wanted to offer an update for those who are still even vaguely interested or curious.. I didn't bother posting the pics since the pics don't really show the effect---one would really need to see it in motion to understand the funhouse-mirror-lite effect going on here.

In any case, the problem has been solved: new aftermarket mirrors.

I bought a single Burco passenger side mirror (the cheapest on Amazon, cheaper than driver's side) to see if these mirrors also feature the distortion effect and the answer is: NO!!! I got lucky on the first try!!!

That's right, these cheap aftermarket mirrors are better than Honda factory OEM's.

Apparently, I am the only person bothered by this because my Google search found almost no complaints. Yes, I posted on the Honda Fit forum too and just one user said he experienced the same thing. It's really not just my car, it's EVERY Honda Fit of this generation, but people are fine with it apparently.

I'm going to go ahead and purchase the driver's side now. While I'm at it, I might buy a Dorman unit as well, just because I'm curious!

YIPPEEE!!!!!!! This "dumb" thing could've been a deal breaker for me.

Back