clicking noise in the outside CV joints, FWD car

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is not about failing CV joints with the typical loud popping while taking hard turns at low speeds. this is about fast ticking noise at 50+mph while taking turns (especially right ones), not unlike hard drive crunching noise you hear with some loud hard drives (old Hitachi drives come to mind). It's not too loud, but clearly noticeable, because the car is fairly quiet at those speeds.

so, anyhow, i got under the car today (2010 prius with 85000 miles) everything is in top shape (including all CV boots). however, when i wiggle both driveaxles hard (both side to side or up/down) there is some clicking noise in both outside CV joints. Can someone tell me if that's normal in a FWD car?
note, this has nothing to do with the hybrid part.

thanks!

Bearing hub. Worn hubs make noise on turns, usually a grinding noise. Jack each wheel up. Grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock. Shake the tire, if there is play can be hub, but check ball joint for movement too.

Its sounds like worn outer CV joints. There should no play up/down or side to side at the joint and clicking pretty much confirms they are gone. Have it checked out before tossing them but (too expensive not to double check, about 900 bucks a pair) its probably time for replacements, they are expensive but don't use Chinese ones or reman junk. They can be more trouble than the price of new ones. From the look of it Toyota does not offer just replacement joints.

Thanks all for responding. there was another guy on priuschat who happened to change oil yesterday and told me his doesn't do it. it must be bad indeed. disappointing. granted, most of the miles on the car are city driving and tons of cornering.
Happy Holidays everyone!

Is that related to the clicking noises I hear only at around 4-6 mph in my 2011, whether going straight or turning, and whether accelerating or not?

Not a FWD guy(yet). I would be tempted to get the right grease and peel back the boot. Coupla squirts might do the trick. 85K strikes me as low miles for bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back