Clear coat area “peeled” off bumper after power wash. Fixes?

What in the world are you talking about ?!

At least I advanced from a frequently dropped soapy Sponge "sander" :)

Went to a High school booster parking lot car wash once.
Them cheerleaders in bathing suits sanded the heck out of my black 5.0.
It was almost not worth it.
I thought we were posting ridiculous things like your post asking who uses pressure washers to wash vehicles. 97%+ of America does.

A picture is worth a thousand words
Here she is!
FD08153B-CCF8-4912-A471-1E05175898DF.jpeg

Grandma scraped up the bumper and it was repainted. Factory paint doesn't flake off bumper covers...that aftermarket flex additive on repaints is useless. I used the pressure washer all the time when I owned cars worthy of a hand wash.
I can name numerous cars with factory paint jobs where the clear coat has flaked off.

"Proper hand washing"

Nothing improper about using a pressure washer.
I suppose as long as the pressure is low enough, little harm could be done. I've seen weather stripping removed, and paint damage by pressure washing.

To each their own though, if using a pressure washer is how one desires to clear their vehicle I won't stop them. Hand wash with a garden hose is what I prefer.

Well if that happened that easily it was probably going to come off one way or another. In that part of the car it would fare okay from a diy sand and spray and may not cost a fortune to just take into a body shop if you have to have it perfect.

Hmmm I have a 2003 Maxima that's peeling clear like a bad sunburn. Wonder if my pressure washer can take the rest off so I can try a 2k clear

Well if that happened that easily it was probably going to come off one way or another. In that part of the car it would fare okay from a diy sand and spray and may not cost a fortune to just take into a body shop if you have to have it perfect.
you know the location of this clear coat issue is directly below the fuel filler cap. I’m wondering if when the fuel overfilled at one time it somehow weakened the clearcoat? i’ve done it accidentally once or twice but not for sometime.

I’m thinking this is going to be a wet sand and spray fix just to make it visually nicer and hopefully stop the spread.

Now I’m going to be super cautious with the pressure washer 😆

It is the factory painted bumper. It also still has the Vin sticker
I can’t see any evidence of a repaint either.

🙏

I thought we were posting ridiculous things like your post asking who uses pressure washers to wash vehicles. 97%+ of America does.
You just pulled that survey data out of %@&$ @&$.
House bibs may have pressure, but they are not the definition of "pressure washers"
No, you didn't mention house bibs, but that's the ONLY way 97%+ of America could wash their car
with a "pressure washer".

You just pulled that survey data out of %@&$ @&$.
House bibs may have pressure, but they are not the definition of "pressure washers"
No, you didn't mention house bibs, but that's the ONLY way 97%+ of America could wash their car
with a "pressure washer".

:cool:

I suppose as long as the pressure is low enough, little harm could be done. I've seen weather stripping removed, and paint damage by pressure washing.

To each their own though, if using a pressure washer is how one desires to clear their vehicle I won't stop them. Hand wash with a garden hose is what I prefer.
You're just referring to examples of improper pressure washer use.

Your statement is analogous to saying that breaker bars should never be used because you have seen examples of damage (from it) from improper use.

Sometimes, using a pressure washer can be safer than a garden hose if the vehicle is dirty. A pressure washer will remove more surface dirt (and dirt from the crevices) which makes it less likely for scratches or swirls to be inflicted.

What psi/gpm is your pressure washer and what tip were you using?
2.1 gpm 3100 psi yellow tip.

As much as I want this to be a protective film unfortunately it’s not, and is clear coat failure of this area 😔

I’ve never had a problem with the pressure washer before, but I must’ve got slightly careless/reckless combined with being too close and this is the outcome 😩

For the record, I’ve used nothing but power washers and self service bays at the car wash and I’ve never taken clearcoat off before. When I was really young before power washers, knowledge, or even driving I would use a garden hose and dawn soap lol talk about swirl and scratch mark galore. 😆

Back