Cleaning a .22

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, hopefully tomorrow I'm going to get my old .22 rifle, bolt action with tube loader under the barrel. It's been so long since I've shot it, maybe 20 years, that I don't remember what make or model it is.

Anyway, before I shot it what would be the proper way to clean it? I'm thinking about removing the bolt and soaking everything with Break Free and letting it sit overnight and then clean it with Hoppes #9. What about the barrel? Should I use the Break Free down the barrel and should I run the brush down the barrel?

iontrap,

Just clean the bore using Hoppe's #9 and let it soak for about an hour. Very little brush work is needed so just a couple passes is more than enough. Wet patch a couple times and dry patch it until the appears good. Twenty two rifles accuracy is derived from the crown if the barrel so check to make sure it's not dinges in anyway. Oil the boly using breakfree and go shooting.

Durango

For a 70 year old gun, this thing shoots straight. Having not shot it in such a long time, I was able to get 3 inch groups, 15 rounds, at 25 yards and that was using 22 short rounds.

iontrap,

Your rifle should do much better than that!!! Buy three or four brands of ammo and bench test/shoot them each for groups. You'll find a big difference between the two or three brands.

When I shoot mine at 50 yards I can average about an inch or less depending on the brand.

If your rifle will accept LR's then those might be cheaper than the shorts and will give you a better challange overall.

Durango

One of these days I'll do a proper bench shoot. I was surprised how well I was able to group them just using my hand and elbow to hold the rifle. It's going to be fun plinking with this rifle!

iontrap,

When you get around to bench testing the rifle start with a fairly good brand like CCI "Blazer" as a base line. I plot my test on a graph to compare them to each other.

You'll find it takes a good long time to find the right round that's in harmony with that rifle of yours.

Enjoy,

Durango

Originally Posted By: iontrap
Is the CCI considered a competition round?

iontrap,

No that version is considered "high verlocity". If you want something closer to a competition round then get the brands tha are considered "standard velocity" like PMC "target".

I stay away from expensive target rounds. Too much for my wallet.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back