Cleaner tail pipes with 93 octane

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are confusing an octane rating with everything else about a fuel. An octane rating is just that - an octane rating. A number that shows the resistance to detonation. Everything else about a fuel is different and separate.

Originally Posted By: Rosetta
Ethanol is 105-110 octanes equivalent. It helps to raise the octane number of any gasoline it is added. The engine runs smoothiers for that.
You guys should start to bust this huge amount of myth that ethanol isn't good for the engine.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Rosetta
Ethanol is 105-110 octanes equivalent. It helps to raise the octane number of any gasoline it is added. The engine runs smoothiers for that.
You guys should start to bust this huge amount of myth that ethanol isn't good for the engine.
When it gets wet -its garbage. And it doesn't take a lot of wet. Our gas IN So. NH. has never been this unreliable since E10.

A little water (takes a semester to get 5% water ncrease in volume in a regular humid area) don't do any harm if you're not storing the gas in the tank for years. Don't water injection majors the C/R in a motor? Water vapor is the best way to clean the O2 sensor and exhaust valves in a car. You'll get more power yeah!

You'd like to mean? Calorific power (Btus)? Sure, but if its pinging,what's the benefit? Octane raise was mentioned here, that's why I brought it up.

I'm sure you meant 'caloric'. OTOH, maybe I'm not very sure.

Modern engines in most newer cars do not ping. When they do, it can be catastrophic, and it generally indicates a real problem.

No offense intended, but you are very difficult to understand. Is English not your primary language?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Modern engines in most newer cars do not ping. When they do, it can be catastrophic, and it generally indicates a real problem.

No offense intended, but you are very difficult to understand. Is English not your primary language?

Modern cars do not Ping because of the advent of knock sensors in almost everything now days. They can and do ping on occasion, I've heard several do it but its brief and just before the KS takes over and retards timing.

IMO- if you own a turbocharged vehicle you are crazy to NOT run anything less than 91 octane! This is just asking for trouble! Forced induction motors need high octane, its just common sense. (lets not count diesels of course)

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
In my '11 CR-V, and only the CR-V, I see a huge improvement in MPG and performance when I use V-Power, and only V-Power.

I've had the same experience with shell v-power.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds

Modern cars do not Ping because of the advent of knock sensors in almost everything now days. They can and do ping on occasion, I've heard several do it but its brief and just before the KS takes over and retards timing.

IMO- if you own a turbocharged vehicle you are crazy to NOT run anything less than 91 octane! This is just asking for trouble! Forced induction motors need high octane, its just common sense. (lets not count diesels of course)

I feel the same way about any engine with a compression ratio over 11:1, turbo or not.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

No ofense taken. And Yes, they do ping, specially when the injectors are clogged and the mixture gets lean in just one or 2 cylinders. The sensor keep fighting but at the end of the day, it pings half of the traject. Not every motor in the road are new and well tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back