Clean air Intake, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum to post this in, but I was hoping to get some feed back on this idea. I was thinking if intake dirt is the largest component of contaminants in your engine, after all we go to extrem efforts with quality filters to keep it out, then, why not just reroute your intake snorkel to a cleaner place, like your trunk to keep from sucking in dirt in the first place? This may sound silly at first, but think about it for a minute? Less dirt in could extend the life of your filters, oil and subsequently your engine! Your input is appreciated.

it's a good thought, but any gains you make in cleaning the air, which I think would be negligible over current filtering, would be offset by a loss in performance. Something like picking up air from the trunk means plumbing with long lengths and bends which will greatly reduce airflow and take power from the engine. Unless you mount an industrial rotary compressor in the trunk capable of moving enough cfm required by the motor to compensate
grin.gif

what does porsche do? They have rear mounted engines, how are they running their intakes and filters? I tend to agree that the rear of the car would be more dirty than the front when moving due to airflow and turbulence from the car body.

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
One other thing, if you put runners all the way to the trunk to get the air to the intake, that might actually increase the velocity of your air charge a bit and make a little extra torque...

not at all.
how would the velocity of the air charge increase?

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
One other thing, if you put runners all the way to the trunk to get the air to the intake, that might actually increase the velocity of your air charge a bit and make a little extra torque...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not at all.
how would the velocity of the air charge increase?

engines dont draw a constant ammount of air, it is actually shoved down the intake by atmospheric pressure. engines dont "suck" in air, it is forced into them by the asmosphere.

this air that is going into the intake isnt a smooth constant stream, it comes in pulses that are similar to waves hitting a beach. if you make the intake the right length you can time the pulses to hit the intake valve exactly when its open. this creates the same effect as forced induction only on a much smaller scale.

i dont know that saying "that might actually increase the velocity of your air charge a bit and make a little extra torque" is the right thing to say, but it would do somthing.

according to most online calculators a 15 foot intake manifold would yeild second, third and fourth order harmonic pulses at between 300 and 700 rpm. its kind of too low to be very usefull unless you drive around at idle.

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:
engines dont draw a constant ammount of air, it is actually shoved down the intake by atmospheric pressure. engines dont "suck" in air, it is forced into them by the asmosphere.

spaz.gif

quote:

this air that is going into the intake isnt a smooth constant stream, it comes in pulses that are similar to waves hitting a beach. if you make the intake the right length you can time the pulses to hit the intake valve exactly when its open. this creates the same effect as forced induction only on a much smaller scale.

correct. I'm surprised you know this, most people don't. Do you know what this is called? There's a term for it. And more importantly, do you know what causes it?

quote:

according to most online calculators a 15 foot intake manifold would yeild second, third and fourth order harmonic pulses at between 300 and 700 rpm. its kind of too low to be very usefull unless you drive around at idle.

according to physics, the longer the plumbing the greater the pressure drop. That's it. Go too long with the plumbing and it negates any purpose of what your describing. Intakes never have runners much longer than a foot, so designing them around this isn't a problem.

I just noticed where talking about a civic here. I forget to take into the effets the huge rear spoiler and the placement of stickers will have on the intake setup. The 15 foot intake runner might work then
tongue.gif

It's a trade off between dirt and heat. Most intakes draw their air from the fender or behind the headlight. This provides cool air, but it's also more accessible to dirt. Drawing air from the engine compartment may be cleaner, but it's also hotter, leading to other problems. Most trunks are sealed or partially seal, that's how they stay clean.

I dunno, Dustyjoe.

Watch a car going down a dry dusty road. You can see the front of the car, but the rear is hidden in a cloud of dust
shocked.gif

If you start drawing air out of the trunk, air has to be let into the trunk to replace it. It will be that dusty air you draw in.

You could watch a bunch of cars going down dusty roads and pick the least dusty area on the car to put an air intake. Need to give some consideration to following other vehicles and eating their dust too.

How about a 10 foot snorkel with the air intake at the top end?

Maybe in the front 1/4 of the roof? The passenger compartment air intake in front of the windshield also probably gets cleaner air than the normal engine intake.

After Mt. St. Helen's blew up the first time, people were putting panty hose around their air filter. Sort of like filtering the air that goes to your filter.

10 foot snorkel would work but it would look kind of awkward on my civic not to mention getting me mistaken for a periscope wielding border patrol vehicle
rolleyes.gif
. I think if you work it right the trunk deal would reduce the amount of dust considerably. Obviously the air needs to come from somewhere but most of it would flow back from the dashboard intake, as an added bonus, increasing ventilation (slightly) inside the vehicle. A civic does not need that large of an intake volume to run, so I don't think it would suck up enough air to leave me gasping. I am not saying it would eliminate all dust, but I'm guessing maybe a 40 to 50% reduction? One other thing, if you put runners all the way to the trunk to get the air to the intake, that might actually increase the velocity of your air charge a bit and make a little extra torque...a possible additional benefit.

quote:

After Mt. St. Helen's blew up the first time, people were putting panty hose around their air filter. Sort of like filtering the air that goes to your filter.

Those can keep you pretty warm when hunting in 20 below too....but I don't think they would do much for the fine red silt around here, not bad for volcanic ash though....

Both my WheelHorse garden tractor and Polaris ATV use a conventional paper element filter with an oil soaked foam element upstream of it. If you keep the foam filter cleaned and oiled, the paper filter hardly even shows dirt and lasts a very long time. I'm guessing these guys have come to the same conclusion on the best approach for dusty environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back