clay tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll put in a bid for Griot's Garage clay products - using his clay with the GG Speed Shine as the lubricant makes claying a car easy as taking candy from a baby.

Good results too!
Cheers all!

Anybody ever tried using regular old modeling compound type clay with a quick detail spray? This is how they "clay" at the carwash down the street.

Some one is pulling your leg detail clay has nothing to do with modeling clay.

Derailing clay is a synthetic with special abrasives.

You can use some car soap and water as clay lube instead of that expensive spray stuff.

Thats how the pros do it.

You can buy clay on ebay for about half the cost of stores.

Quote:
Some one is pulling your leg detail clay has nothing to do with modeling clay.

Nope, seen it first hand. They buy cheap boxes of modeling clay from WM and use Meguiars Quick Detail as lube. Not saying it works as good or better, but it does seem to have some of the same cleaning abilities as auto clay.

I too have used a car soap/water mixture as clay lube. I'll stick with detail spray.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
Anybody ever tried using regular old modeling compound type clay with a quick detail spray? This is how they "clay" at the carwash down the street.

Modeling polymer clay like Plasticine, Plastilin, Fimo, Sculpey, or Premo, does not contain micro abrasives that detailing clay contains. I suppose any polymer clay will pick up some surface dirt, but modeling clay will not remove embedded particles from the finish.

Clay other than polymer clay, for example Roma Plastilina ($4 for a 2 pound brick), would be a really bad idea...

Don't save at the wrong end.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Thats how the pros do it.

I love that line. I've seen it used for all sorts of waxes, polishes, tools, etc. Makes it sound like all pros do everything the same way. The pros I know (and these guys have prepped cars for Pebble Beach, RM Auctions, Amelia Island, Meadowbrook, etc so yeah, they are definitely pros) all use a quick detailer spray for clay lube. I always figure if using the correct tools is good enough for multi million dollar show cars being prepped for the most prestigious events in the world, then it's good enough for my humble vehicles.

I've also seen far too many people ask how to fix problems caused by the "pro" who just detailed their car. Just because someone owns a buffer or has been paid to slap a coat of wax on a car is not necessarily a professional detailer.

Clay Magic and Meguiar's have good clay/lube combos in a box a most auto parts stores.

I always tear off a piece of clay when I work on a vehicle. I never use the whole piece. Reason being if it is dropped, it no good cause it will pick up too much junk off the concrete. Plus, if the panel has a ton of grime on it, I dont want to contaminate the whole piece of clay. What ever is left i just put in a ziploc bag and spray it a few times with the instant detailer.

With some clays you can get away with using a quality soap (diluted) like Meguiar's Gold Class as a spray lube. Other clays will actualy break apart if you use car wash soap, so with those, only use specified lube/instant detailer.

Some of the best clay is from SONUS. Good stuff. Not all clays are equal.

While it is true one firm holds the patent on the clay, new patents have come out with new types of clay formulations.

Good luck.

Autopia.org is good place to learn about clay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back