classic car oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 65 mustang 200c.i. 6 cyl. It gets driven 1000 to 1500 miles between may and october. I am using Rotella 10-30 with an autolite filter. In the fall I have been changing the oil and filter, and greasing the suspension/steering then adding a strong dose of Sta-Bil to the full tank of e-0 gas, then taking a couple mile drive, then putting it in my well insulated workshop/garage, and using fogging oil in the cylinders, and don't turn it over again till spring. My question is, am I just wasting oil/filter changing them every fall, or would I be just as well off going 2 years??? Some classic car sites even say change the oil again in the spring even if it just sat all winter, because it will have condensation. that has always seemed like overkill to me, as when I do drive it in the warm months, it gets well warmed up. So what do you guys say? change it every year like I have been, or go longer???

Last edited:
It's probably not a bad idea to change the cellulose based filter every year but it could certainly handle the two years. I would consider using a synthetic filters that won't degrade with time and change by mileage only. The Fram Ultra can be used for many years and you can drain just the oil pan every 2 years.

You should always store it with fresh oil like you are doing. I have way too many UOA with lead corrosion from used oil sitting 4 or 5 months in the bearings.

I agree with widman. I think you're doing it exactly right.

Are you lifting the tires off the ground? I have a mixed opinion on that practice.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
I think you're doing it exactly right.

So do I!

I drive my 65 coupe with a 289 year round here in Texas. Although it is overkill, I change the oil once a year. I have a few filters in the stash since I have two SBF's and right now I'm using M1 turbo diesel truck 5w40. The mustang seems to like it. Future change may be valvoline racing synthetic 10w30.

If keep doing what you are doing. 15 bucks for an oil change yearly is a cheap investment on a classic stang.

I would say changing again in spring is a waste. Just bring the oil up to temp to boil off any water.

We put about 500 mi. per year on my wife's '65 289. I do try to drive it at least once a month, more in the warmer months. Sometimes it's tough to get it out in the winter since we avoid the road salt.

Been changing it with Rotella 10W30/MaxLife and a M1 or similar filter every 2 years. Usually try to drive it at least 10 miles.

mustang008cs.jpg

Well, thanks guys, so think I will just keep doing what I have been, just nice to know others also think it is the smart thing to do. Thanks again.

I drive my 70 Camaro about 600 miles a year and never even start it unless I bring it up to full operating temp. Usually around 20 miles. My last oil change it went for 4 years, sent sample to Blackstone, came back with no concerns. So if your drives always warm up it fully, you could go 2 years. Best way to be sure however is to test your oil.

I agree with all the above posts... maybe just switch filters as suggested to a Fram ULTRA or something...

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
I drive my 70 Camaro about 600 miles a year and never even start it unless I bring it up to full operating temp. Usually around 20 miles. My last oil change it went for 4 years, sent sample to Blackstone, came back with no concerns. So if your drives always warm up it fully, you could go 2 years. Best way to be sure however is to test your oil.

I agree.

It is totally unnecessary to change the oil and filter with such little running time. Time doesn't degrade the oil, the engine has to be running and since the OP is bringing the oil up to temperature before shutting it down and storing for the winter, he could easily go with a 3 or 4 OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back