Civic EX Coupe vs. Civic EX Sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I get the coupe or a sedan? Cost is identical, though the coupe has a significantly better stereo system compared to the other.

Does one often hold a greater resale value compared to the other?

I don't haul anything, nor do I expect this to be used to haul friends around either.

Opinions please.

TIA.

I think you should choose the one that looks the most appealing to you. When I got my civic I chose the coupe over the sedan because the rear end of the last gen civics just didn't look good. But the two coupes that the dealer had were white and black, I chose the white since its a lot easier to hide paint defects over time. Sometimes I wish I would have either waited and got a fiji blue coupe or got the sedan that was there in fiji blue instead. Oh well I love my car.

So if you're going to choose from dealer stock then it really depends on what they have and what you want. If the stereo is important to you and you like the looks of both the coupe and the sedan then go with the coupe. Also, you say that you aren't going to haul people around but that may change and if you get the coupe it may be a wee bit annoying for people to get to the back seat. I usually don't haul people around but once in a while I have to drive a 5 year old toddler around and its a pita to put the car seat in the back. And when it comes time to cleaning the interior it's hard to move around in the back seat of my car I don't know how roomy the new civics are. Good luck.

Thanks, great to see you again. Surviving the Wisconsin winter?

The insurance for the coupe may be slightly higher than with the sedan. This could be the deciding factor for you. And if you want to save a little more money, choose the LX sedan (same engine!) Save even more money and get a manual tranny.

Hands down the EX Sedan. The insurance may be less expensive (check). Also you say you do not haul anything. But simply buying groceries or simple items means use either trunk or move the annoying seat forward. Opening a door and having the access is so much better. Not sure how long you'll keep it but remember things change in life and have more in this case is better than less. For me baby came.

I am well experienced with coupe vs sedan as I owned the 95 Civic Coupe EX for 9 years/225k which I depised for too many reasons to list. Its saving grace to me was reliability, the only "repair" outside maintenance in book was radiator at 150k miles.

Check the difference in the seats. My Acura coupe and all Accord coupes have much bigger seating area in the coupe. My seat bottom is a full 2in longer than the sedan and the front leg room is also slightly longer.

For now the cold is better than the FL heat, thanks for asking.

I just looked at the Civics on Honda's website and it's seems like the 8th gen Civics look better as a sedan than a coupe. the rear end just seem to work better with the futuristic look of the front. The coupe's back end looks a little too simple for the front and it also looks like it doesn't belong there, but that's just my opinion.
smile.gif

When my Corolla dies, if I still need a high mileage commuter car, I like the 2 door EX 5 speed. Personally, I like the looks better. If I want more room, I'll use my truck.

My fiancee has a 2-dr integra hatch. Whgile the hatchback comes in very handy every now and again, the 2-door utility is marginal at best. The doors are longer, so they're harder to handle in tight spaces, The back seat is a pain to get into if you want to put a bag or box on it, and overall the acessibility is a hassle.

But its a hatch, so it has utility with the seats folded, and behind the seats, even with them up... with a coupe, you loose the hatch utility, and have even worse access to the rear seats, not to mention that trunk space is harder to fully utilize because of the small opening.

That said, you wont be asked to take on as many riders, you may have a bit more seat travel, and there may be things that are available on one and not the other.

IMO, it comes down to need for utility and which one looks better to you.

JMH

Last edited:
For maximum utility, you should wait for the 5-door hatch diesel they get in Europe. I bet there will be a Honda Diesel here in two years. I hope it will in either the TSX wagon or Civic hatch.
Are you sure you want to buy the first model year of new gen?

Quote:

For maximum utility, you should wait for the 5-door hatch diesel they get in Europe. I bet there will be a Honda Diesel here in two years. I hope it will in either the TSX wagon or Civic hatch.
Are you sure you want to buy the first model year of new gen?

Hmm. At this point, there's a good chance that I might hold off 'till summer of 08, since I may live on campus during my first year at a UC, so I wouldn't need a car.

Decisions...decisions...

I think the coupe looks more 'complete' of a design than the sedan.
The sedan 'droops' as you get to the trunk, whereas the coupe has a sportier stance, IMO. Also, it looks as though Honda stole the taillights on the sedan right off an Audi A4...

Quote:

I think the coupe looks more 'complete' of a design than the sedan.
The sedan 'droops' as you get to the trunk, whereas the coupe has a sportier stance, IMO. ...

Well said.

The coupe has bigger doors too doesn't it? I think Honda hit a homerun with the coupe. The Sedan is OK, head room in back, and so on. Looks are so-so to me.

P.S.
Critic,
DUDE! I can't believe you are still undecided about the Civic! This is your 19th thread on this topic or something like that. Here is the best advice you will ever get from me...get the Si in one of the special Si colors, Fiji Blue or the Habinero Red. If you can't afford it or if the insurance is too much then decide how often you will have more than one other person in the car with you. If you drive your buds around a lot, get the four door. No head room to speak of in the back of a coupe for tall people. But, they are only making 15,000 Si Coupes this year. Besides being an absolutley all around balanced, fun car to drive, think resale. The Si will be offered in a sedan this year.

I had to get rid of my Civic EX coupe (2001) because I couldn't take the overall lack of utility. For being the most practical car I've ever owned, it was the least practical. Getting stuff in and out of the back seat was near impossible. Be careful with the headroom in the rear of the 8th gen coupes too - I'm 5'11" and my head was firmly planted into the headliner. In my 7th gen, my hair rubbed slightly, but it wasn't too big of a deal. I'm now in a sedan and couldn't be happier. I also don't really care about how it looks, and found the big doors to be annoying in the parking garage.

[quote Critic,
DUDE! I can't believe you are still undecided about the Civic! This is your 19th thread on this topic or something like that.

Hahahahaha.
Yea Critic..just starting school. You would be foolish thinnking about a new car at this point. Chill for a couple years. Concentrate on the education.

Quote:

And if you want to save a little more money, choose the LX sedan

I would spring for the extra bucks and get the Alloy wheels with Disc brakes in the rear and the Moon roof, better stereo and other nice features. Depends on your status in life I guess. Good thought though. If I were going to school I'd prolly get the DX
smile.gif

Quote:

Hmm. At this point, there's a good chance that I might hold off 'till summer of 08, since I may live on campus during my first year at a UC, so I wouldn't need a car.

Decisions...decisions...

I thought this was going to be your mom's new car?

Quote:

Quote:

Decisions...decisions...

I thought this was going to be your mom's new car?

Yep, it will be, at least until I begin using it full time. Until then, she'll be driving it most of the time and me, some of the time.

Quote:

I would spring for the extra bucks and get the Alloy wheels with Disc brakes in the rear and the Moon roof, better stereo and other nice features. Depends on your status in life I guess. Good thought though. If I were going to school I'd prolly get the DX
smile.gif

Definitely getting the EX. EX has 4-wheel DISC brakes and the 60/40 split rear seatback, which the LX does not have. The rest I could care less about.

No thanks on the DX. No A/C doesn't cut it.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back