Citgo New Tri Clean additive in there Gas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im in FL and I ussally like to go to Cheveron or Texaco however the town I live in the nearest Cheveron is very far and same with Texaco. However the best gas if FREE GAS IMO.

My Dad has a Citgo credit cards for his business and he gave me a card to use FREE, he gets to write the gas off on his taxes anyways. However I'm not a big fan of CITGO GAS and never really liked to use it, However as I said the best gas is FREE GAS.
smile.gif
Well the last few times I filled up I noticed something on the pump that said CITGO Gas new Tri Clean formula. Also I always add 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to my gas at each fill up. However does anyone know about Citgo gas and if it can actually harm a ENGINE.
This is what the CITGO Site says. What I was shocked to read was Cito is not a TOP TIER FUEL

Thanks for your input,

Is TriCLEAN a Top Tier gasoline?
No.

What is TriCLEAN?
TriCLEAN is an enhanced, custom
-
blended fuel that includes more nitrogen cleaning agents to
keep vital engine parts clean for a smoother running engine that maximizes mileage and
minimizes emissions. It gives engines Zoomgevity!
Enh
anced TriCLEAN gasoline:

Meets or exceeds Environmental Protection Agency requirements.

Is designed to maintain intake valve cleanliness to avoid hesitation, poor drivability.

Is designed to maintain fuel injector cleanliness to avoid rough idle, poor driv
ability, loss
of power and increased emissions.

Is designed to prevent performance
-
robbing valve deposits compared to inferior
gasoline.

Contains more nitrogen cleaning agents.

Maximizes mileage while minimizing exhaust emissions.
These results are based
on tests conducted
in 2012
by Southwest Research Institute. The
performance TriCLEAN provides is consistent at any CITGO location.
Why are we going this direction?

Recent efforts to tout our quality gas have reaped promising results in perceived quality
among consumers per our research.

A majority of Marketers and Retailers told us they would like the brand to promote quality
gasoline
more.

Our research shows that quality
gasoline
is one of the top four reasons for purchase
among many consumers.
Is TriCLEAN in all grades?
Yes. All CITGO gasoline grades now contain more cleaning agents than before. Fueling GOOD
just got better!
What organization provided the claim data?
Our gasoline additive supplier conducted engine tests with four sources of CITGO gasoline to
determine engine cleanliness and response to detergent additives. CITGO determined the
dosage for each gasoline to provide desired level of engine cleanliness.
CITGO gasoline is:

Custom blended.

Tailored for the diverse regions.
Is TriCLEAN a Top Tier gasoline?
No. However, TriCLEAN does meet stringent performance criteria established by CITGO
regarding engine cleanliness.
Furthermore, the detergent levels in TriCLEAN gasoline not
only meet EPA requirements, but they also meet and sometimes exceed top tier detergent
requirements in CITGO marketing areas.
For CITGO to obtain the Top Tier designation, the company must make additional investments
in hardware and personnel, neither of which keeps engines clean and performing well. CITGO
has chose
n to make investments in its gasoline rather than putting money into administrative
requirements necessary for Top Tier status.
Based on encouraging results received from consumer research and Marketer and Retailer
feedback, TriCLEAN can move the CITGO brand into the quality fuels arena without the
substantial investment required for Top Tier recognition.
When was the change made?
The change began in May 2012 and was completed in March 2013. The change is reflective at
CITGO retail locations and termin
als.
What are the branding components?
Permanent branding for all pumps at CITGO retail locations is in development. You will be
notified as soon as it’s available.
How did we arrive at the name TriCLEAN?
The name was created by our ad agency and chosen from a number of options. To ensure its
effectiveness and lack of conflicts with other brand names, CITGO engaged a brand naming
and testing firm to test the name among a list of others with respect to:

Unaided associations (the name has intuitive meaning without having to explain it)

Initial recall (it’s catchy).

Fit to product category (seems to belong in the gasoline category).

Innovation (perceived as unique and groundbreaking).

Attribute evaluation (fits with attributes of enhanced quality gasoline, helps maintain
a clean engine, produces lower emissions and instills confidence).

Memorability (can be recalled after a break from seeing it).

Personal Preference (personality and meaningful product communication).

Likeability.
What is Zoomgevity?
Zoomgevity is a fun, coined term for the properties of TriCLEAN. The name was also tested
during the consumer test and was found to be perceived as conveying power and longevity to
engines. For CITGO history buffs, the name will bring to mind the campaign
jingle that
launched the CITGO brand in 1965. (Zoom! Zoom! Cities Service is CITGO now!)
What is the communications plan to Marketers and Retailers?

You can watch the video here.

xxx.citgo.com/WebOther/TriClean/

just c/p the url in your browser and replace the xxx with www
Im not sure if they like LIVE Links here.

Thanks

Last edited:
"blended fuel that includes more nitrogen cleaning agents"

Really??? Why would you need more of this since the air already has about 78% in it?

Originally Posted By: Andy636
"blended fuel that includes more nitrogen cleaning agents"

Really??? Why would you need more of this since the air already has about 78% in it?

33.gif

Originally Posted By: David1
However does anyone know about Citgo gas and if it can actually harm a ENGINE.
Yes, it can.

Citgo gas will ruin your engine in less than one tank.

Oh wait, your question was serious?

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
However does anyone know about Citgo gas and if it can actually harm a ENGINE.
Yes, it can.

Citgo gas will ruin your engine in less than one tank.

Oh wait, your question was serious?
That's a good one!

Citgo gas and oil are decent products. Do not hesitate to use them. You can use the cheapest gas you can find and always throw a bottle of Techron or Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner in before an oil change.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Citgo gas and oil are decent products. Do not hesitate to use them. You can use the cheapest gas you can find and always throw a bottle of Techron or Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner in before an oil change.

+ 1000000000000

I use Redline or Techron about 500 miles before I change the oil.

No need for gasoline with silly marketing, RaceTrac has done very well for the past 500K miles in many of my cars.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

LT4 Vette

I have been changing engine oil in the UK for over forty years know. I do not reckon that makes me an expert but have never added one of the additives you mentioned either in the Fuel or Oil before a an oil change.

Quite a few of those cars went well over 100k miles without lube problems. Never had a car that had a lube problem or fuel system problem. Can you advise what damage I caused to my engines by not putting these additives in as obviously you are not spending money for no quantitative benefit.

eddie

I too have been noticing the billboards for TriClean. I suspect it's just Citgo trying to go afte the similar Shell advertisements.

Their gas is fine and I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Im in FL and I ussally like to go to Cheveron or Texaco however the town I live in the nearest Cheveron is very far and same with Texaco. However the best gas if FREE GAS IMO.

My Dad has a Citgo credit cards for his business and he gave me a card to use FREE, he gets to write the gas off on his taxes anyways. However I'm not a big fan of CITGO GAS and never really liked to use it, However as I said the best gas is FREE GAS.
smile.gif

Thanks very much for making my tax bill higher by helping your dad cheat on his taxes
mad.gif

I guess I shouldn't be surprised since you are supporting Citgo which is owned by Venezuela - not exactly a friend to the U.S.

spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

smile.gif

Thanks very much for making my tax bill higher by helping your dad cheat on his taxes
mad.gif

I guess I shouldn't be surprised since you are supporting Citgo which is owned by Venezuela - not exactly a friend to the U.S.

spankme2.gif

Who cares? As opposed to all our other loyal "friends" like the House of Saud? Show me an oil regime that isn't dirty or that doesn't have blood on its hands? The Canadians and the UK, those about the only ones I can think of...

Anyways, Citgo is the second non-Top Tier company touting the detergency of its gas. The other one (that's available locally) is Sunoco. I suspect this advert is also a means to counter the perception that their gas seems to smell funny or different due to the source crude in Venezuela...

Last edited:
Eddie, the petrol in Scotland may have different additives, but here across the pond many engines benefit from having a dose of Techron or Regane or RedLine SL-1 added once in awhile. Keeps the injectors clean and help with intake valve deposits.

Originally Posted By: EddieCairns
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

LT4 Vette

I have been changing engine oil in the UK for over forty years know. I do not reckon that makes me an expert but have never added one of the additives you mentioned either in the Fuel or Oil before a an oil change.

Quite a few of those cars went well over 100k miles without lube problems. Never had a car that had a lube problem or fuel system problem. Can you advise what damage I caused to my engines by not putting these additives in as obviously you are not spending money for no quantitative benefit.

eddie

Eddie, bigger difference here is the quality of oils and gasline products available to you as opposed to us. Products here are engineered with a price point in mind and there really isn't any requirements they have to meet that are really strict. For eg, a fully synthetic oil here will only be categorized as syn blend in UK. You have access to cleaner higher octane fuel as well ( you do pay the extra over us as well ). So you'll find people use Techron, MMO, Redline etc fuel system cleaners due to low detergent requirements of EPA or whoever regulates that. That's why manufacturers felt the need to come out with Top Tier fuel branding. Also most fuel system cleaners ( the ones that work anyways ) have upper cylinder lubrication properties which results in a smooth running engine for some.

Personally I don't use anything additional in my oil, tried buncha stuff, didn't like any. For fuel system, I run a bottle of redline, split over 5 fill ups as maintenance dose every few months. This is after a higher concentration initial cleanup dose. There are various studies floating around where you can see the difference in the amount of detergents in different gasoline brands in U.S.

Originally Posted By: bourne

Eddie, bigger difference here is the quality of oils and gasline products available to you as opposed to us. Products here are engineered with a price point in mind and there really isn't any requirements they have to meet that are really strict. For eg, a fully synthetic oil here will only be categorized as syn blend in UK. You have access to cleaner higher octane fuel as well ( you do pay the extra over us as well ). So you'll find people use Techron, MMO, Redline etc fuel system cleaners due to low detergent requirements of EPA or whoever regulates that. That's why manufacturers felt the need to come out with Top Tier fuel branding. Also most fuel system cleaners ( the ones that work anyways ) have upper cylinder lubrication properties which results in a smooth running engine for some.

Personally I don't use anything additional in my oil, tried buncha stuff, didn't like any. For fuel system, I run a bottle of redline, split over 5 fill ups as maintenance dose every few months. This is after a higher concentration initial cleanup dose. There are various studies floating around where you can see the difference in the amount of detergents in different gasoline brands in U.S.

Speculation at best. The fundamental chemical processes are no different in Europe than in the USA.

Plenty of people run 100's of thousands of miles without any additive. Others do see deposits for whatever use/design or other attribute.

Do you have compelling basis that the EPA mandated additive level in the USA is lower than the mandated adds in the UK?

Sulfur may be lower in the Eurozone, but that doesnt necessarily make a difference in combustion chambers.

Your comment on octane is wrong - it is calculated differently here and there.

I personally run additive maintenance doses due to an observed change in fuel pump noise in two vehicles, including one with a bad pump. There was an obvious difference. Ive seen MPG hits with OD of additives, and obviously some at some level is good. Lots of folks never run any adds and do just fine. Maybe they see MPG hits (most people dont log it so would never actually know).

Some fuel in North America (e.g. that refined by Irving in Canada) is at least as low sulfur as that in Europe.

Have substantiating documentation of additive levels in the US vs UK to back up the comment?

Citgo gas is good quality and on par with other major brands.

THE IMPORTANT PART OF WHAT THAT MARKETING STUFF SAID IS THAT

CITGO GAS meets TOP TIER REQUIREMENTS and exceeds EPA requirements.

I'm not sure why they were so wordy there.

zoomgevity...what the [censored]? Sounds like something from the 50's. LOL

For a moment I thought this topic was created by GHT!

On second thought maybe it was.
smirk.gif

Last edited:

No reason except maybe that Citgo is owned by the Venezuelan goverment...

Originally Posted By: Danh

I can't stand the Venezuelan angle but some good guys own the Citgo station around here so it's mainly what I use.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

smile.gif

mad.gif

spankme2.gif

Who cares? As opposed to all our other loyal "friends" like the House of Saud? Show me an oil regime that isn't dirty or that doesn't have blood on its hands? The Canadians and the UK, those about the only ones I can think of...

Anyways, Citgo is the second non-Top Tier company touting the detergency of its gas. The other one (that's available locally) is Sunoco. I suspect this advert is also a means to counter the perception that their gas seems to smell funny or different due to the source crude in Venezuela...

Hold on a second, Im sure if you could get FREE Gas you would?

also I remember this from when I was a kid and when I worked at all the gas station my family owned also we owned them back when they had garages and we sold them when they turned into FOOD MARTS... It was a real shame when Gas Stations became mimi marts IMO.

LOL, I could get a TUNE UP FOR FREE AT CITGO or my TIMING BELT Changed for FREE or a FREE OIL CHANGE... LOL... Just a joke.. But I remember the whole family was upset when shell and Sunoco forced us out of the car repair bussiness via way of gas staions and then changed it to mimi marts... However my family still owns the best Garage in St Clair Shores Michigan... We have the famous NEON Light that says WORLDS WORST MECHINANICS on the building as a joke.. Its true. It brings people in... Plus our huge American FLAG that you can see for a few miles.

Soooooooooooooooooo

my family also in Michigan for many years owned various gas stations.
We owned St Jean and Jefferson Sunoco and Harper and Cadieux Sunoco and across the street we owned the Shell Station / Harper and Cadieux Shell also we owned 9 Mile and Kelly Sunoco and Lakewood and Jefferson Sunoco and I worked at all of them one time or another. When I say the family owned them, I mean like My Dad had 1 station and then my uncle , my dads brother owned a station and my Aunt / my Dads Sister owned a gas station and my other Gramps owned a station also. Matter of fact my Dad owned the Shell Station during the gas shortage in the mid to late 70s and I remember I was a kid and we would drive up to a pump and he would start to fill his tank and then cars would come all over the place wanting gas... Anways I'm off subject.. However my point is.

Sunoco stands for Sun Oil Company from what I was told was American based and got their oil from Venazeula & Canada.

Shell Oil Company was Danish owned and the oil came from various places..
Im not looking this up via google so I could be wrong. Im going by what I remember being told by my family when I was in my Teens and I worked at the gas stations.

I really liked our Sunoco the best back then, They always had the best Octane gas, when Shell had 92 gas, Sunoco had 93.5 then when shell came out with 93 I remember Sunoco came out with Ultra 94 and I remember I would always fill my Bronco II up with Ultra.

I even remember when there was no mid grade and I would mix 86 octane aka economy Sunoco gas with 93.5 Ultra... when 94 Ultra came out they had mid grade, it was called PLUS

then I remember our SHELL Station put in new pumps and they had a SILVER grade.

AKA

Regular

Mid grade

Premimu.

What was crazy is our Sunoco had

86 Economy
87 Regular
89 Plus
91 Super
93.5 Ultra then changed to 94 Ultra

However I know Im off point, but I want to show Im not pushing Citgo or anything or supporting them, I just asked a question.

I do remember back in them days CITGO was the only gas I remember that had Ethanol and today all gas stations are 10% Ethanol.

I remember my whole family telling me when I got my first car to never put Citgo Gas in my car b/c it had Ethanol in it... Now they all have it, I have talked about this with my father and he says cars back then were and made much different and todays cars and burn ethanol much better.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Danh

I can't stand the Venezuelan angle but some good guys own the Citgo station around here so it's mainly what I use.

There are lots of Citgo around where I live, however what I HATE is when they charge more $ when you use a credit card and I can understand that, however I have caught them chargin gmore $ when I use the CITGO Credit card. I have called CITGO up many times and asked them if they could do this and they said it depended if the property was privately owned.

However I would say then why have a citgo card and then go to citgo and have to pay more.
anways... like I said I do not care I get it FREE anyways... However I would like to get more gas free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back