Chrysler Minivans Need Air Bag Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrysler Minivans Need Air Bag Fix
Automaker Asks Owners to Bring in Vehicles to Replace Crash Sensors that Control Air Bags

(AP) Chrysler Group LLC on Wednesday asked the owners of more than 355,000 of its popular minivans to take them to dealers in a few months to replace crash sensors that help to control the air bags.

The sensors can crack and fail in 2005 and 2006 Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan models, Chrysler said in a statement. It is asking owners to wait until June to contact dealers because it needs time to distribute repair parts.

The automaker is calling the move a "safety improvement campaign" and says it is not a recall. But National Highway Traffic Safety Administration spokeswoman Oliva Alair says the agency considers it a recall and is monitoring repairs to make sure they are carried out.

Chrysler said that in some weather conditions, the front crash sensors can crack, causing water to enter. The company says the sensors help the air-bag control computer decide the speed and manner to deploy the safety devices. Sensors to be replaced are not the main airbag control sensor, the company said.

The automaker says it is not aware of any complaints, injuries or property damage from the problem.

36.gif

My Dad's 2000 Caravan has a recall for the air bag clock spring. It was available about a year ago. He told me he did not have time to get it done. Now he wants to do it but the part is on indefinite back order. Plus it sounds like it's coming apart when turning the wheel.

So I made the appointment for him to bring it in and get the clock spring done. When it came to pick it up he said they did not have the part. But they were able to do the recall on the fuel rail that I did not know about and was never mentioned till he handed me the keys. So we are still waiting for the clock spring part. I was told there were 4000 on back order.

Pretty soon they will start calling a recall "customer vehicle improvements".
33.gif

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Fix It Again Tony

rszappa, this proves you are (personal attack deleted). You didn't even read it. These apply to 2005/2006 vans. That was 4 years before Fiat had anything to do with Chrysler. Absolutely none, zip, nada, zilch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fix It Again Tony

I know Fiat currently has a stake in Chrysler but what does that have to do with the "2005 and 2006 Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan" which Fiat had nothing to do with back then?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Fix It Again Tony

rszappa, You didn't even read it. These apply to 2005/2006 vans. That was 4 years before Fiat had anything to do with Chrysler. Absolutely none, zip, nada, zilch.

Yep, this was during the DaimlerChrysler days. Which IMO was the worst 10 years for the Mercedes marque as well since Detroit-style cost cutting made its way to Stuttgart.

Yeah. Think about the implications (insert The Thinker here) ..if those elements were not present, the back order could be 12,000 units and the company that made them would already be bankrupt. A new company would have to be created or an existing company granted patent rights to produce the said part ....etc..etc..etc.

I wonder why the short wheelbase models are not included? Would they have a different sensor?

....Maybe it was a certain production run from a specific factory, I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back