Chrysler hurricane inline 6 differing oil specs.

Here is a spec sheet of the standard output and high output Chrysler hurricane 3.0L TT inline 6.

I was first expecting both engines to spec a 30 grade together. I was surprised to see that the standard output is spec'd for 0w-20 while the slightly more powerful high output version is spec'd for 0w-40.

Though the specs are a little different for both it's the same block and head with what I'd imagine is a provision for the second GDI pump on the valve cover. The only big changes are the dual high pressure pumps and dual inlet. With differing compression ratio and turbo pressure.

Being me i wouldn't use 0w-20 in a high performance twin turbo engine making 400hp and 450 lb ft of torque engine like that, even if it's deemed a standard output model. I'd have what the HO is having instead.

hurricane.jpg

That engine will be interesting.
I hope we get a naturally aspirated model that's more efficient and simple. It would still be powerful enough for a sedan like the charger or 300 if it doesn't get discontinued.

91 Octane (required) ?? :oops: :oops:
Yeah i noticed that too. Hopefully it isn't truly required like on some hyundais and kias which end up having head damage after a long time of running lower octane fuel.

Last edited:
Perhaps they'll come out with a new 0w-20 spec and not use the MS 6395 spec they currently have. Or if the OLM will be shorter on the SO version as a 0w-40 is gonna be formulated to last longer than a vanilla 0w-20.

91 Octane (required) ?? :oops: :oops:

Yeoh i noticed that too. Hopefully it isn't truly required like on some hyundais and kias which end up having head damage after a long time of running lower octane fuel.

I read it that 91 is required on the HO engine, but probably recommended on the SO engine.

Kind of like my hemi is recommended to run at least 89 but I run 87 with no ill effects or noticeable differences. (If I was planning to tow or haul heavy, I'd fill that tank with 89)

Interesting they're getting 100 hp more out of 0.9 less compression, 3.6 more PSI boost and 300 more RPM.
Be interesting to see the fuel maps.
I was wondering if it could've been tuned for more than 25 extra ft lb of torque.

But I'm guessing it's because the 8hp75 it's married to is capable of 550 lb ft so it would start getting a little too close for comfort and start sacrificing long term reliability. The 6.4 makes 429 lb ft and the 5.7 makes 410. Both are connected to the 8hp75 as well.

I'm anxiously awaiting the reports from the early adopters. I6 Twin Turbo, nice, DI is disappointing to me.
27.gif
But if it proves itself problem free and finds its way into a Wrangler I might consider it.

Here is a spec sheet of the standard output and high output Chrysler hurricane 3.0L TT inline 6.

I was first expecting both engines to spec a 30 grade together. I was surprised to see that the standard output is spec'd for 0w-20 while the slightly more powerful high output version is spec'd for 0w-40.

Though the specs are a little different for both it's the same block and head with what I'd imagine is a provision for the second GDI pump on the valve cover. The only big changes are the dual high pressure pumps and dual inlet. With differing compression ratio and turbo pressure.

Being me i wouldn't use 0w-20 in a high performance twin turbo engine making 400hp and 450 lb ft of torque engine like that, even if it's deemed a standard output model. I'd have what the HO is having instead.

View attachment 136866
Long live 40 weight oils (with guaranteed HTHS >= 3.5 as per the API/SAE specs for that viscosity). Great thing is oil companies can't discontinue making that viscosity as brand new cars are specing that oil. If I bought one of those, I could finally agree with an oil recommendation from a new car owner's manual LOL.

Last edited:

View attachment 136866

I would assume they're just rolling with the approved oils they already have in use for other engines. The Hemi is the same, 0w20 in most but 0w40 in the SRT version.

I hope we get a naturally aspirated model that's more efficient and simple. It would still be powerful enough for a sedan like the charger or 300 if it doesn't get discontinued.
That's going to be very difficult. The FE hit for in town driving would be huge. Remember a lot of these turbo engines are operating in NA mode (i.e. off boost) or very close to it at highway speeds and only on boost around town.

In any case the numbers put out by Chrysler shouldn't be too difficult. The current BMW B58 (2015) makes well over 400 hp. BMW S58 (2019) makes almost 500 hp. Both are closed deck I6's with twin-scroll turbochargers.

Back