Chrysler 3.5ltr 24v....recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently assisted my Mother-In-Law in the purchase of an `06 Pacifica Signature Edition(AWD). The dealer is recommending 5W30(dino)@5k OCIs. Naturally, I'd like to get her started on a synthetic oil regiment. Mobil1 5W30 was the 1st to come to mind simply based upon local availability, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanx in advance,

Brikhead

[ January 04, 2006, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Brikhead ]

Particularly if she does city driving, synthetic would be good on a 5k mi = 8k km OCI. Chrysler normally says to cut the OCI in half (from 6k mi = 10k km to 3k mi = 5k km) for "severe service driving" (that's most urbanites' and suburbanites' cars, folks).

do not listen to the dealer as far as oil and intervals are concerned look at the book if you are going to follow any written down recommendations.

please post current chrysler recommendations for the 06 year. my 04 is the 6000 mile normal, 3000 mile severe.

How is the OCI specifically worded? Is it 6k/6m - 3k/3m or is the time interval different. I've seen some that spec the mileage that doesn't correspond to a like month schedule.

in the service manual for my 04 neon, they recommend 3000 mile/3 month oci for severe, and 6000 mile/6 month oci for normal.

Simple solution for this one. Use the Mobil 1 EP.15,000 oil change interval printed on the bottle.If you get cold feet chnage it at 12,000 miles.Saves time and oil.

I would stick with reg OIC for warranty issues. if yo uhave a engine prob and they ask for your OIC history and yo uonly have one or say I am using M-1 15,000 mile oil. they will void your warranty very quick. I would use reg dino or just buy reg dino and use the receips for your OIC history and use the M-1 15,000 mile oil. the choice is yours but as I have heard dodge is very picky with their warranties and will cancel it on you very quick. had this one guy I knew had his voided becasue they said he had excess mud up under his truck. he was like its a 4x4 what do you think the 4x4 is used for.

Thanks for the replies.

She's not particularly hard on vehicles, but she does tend to hold on to them for at least 10yrs. She only drives about 8/10k miles per year, 50/50 hwy/city. The dealer does most of her maintanences, but she's known to be neglectful about her OCIs(unless I bug her about them). I might just keep her on Havoline dino 5W30 @ 3k OCIs while she's in warranty and switch her to M1 later.

Unless something has dramatically changed with this engine family, I'd be running a 10W-30 synthetic at warranty intervals year round for your climate. Regular M1 is enough and the engine will last forever on it.

The 3.2/3.5 engine is not the 2.7, but Chrysler seems to favor shorter OCIs anyway. Based on the issues with the 2.7, don't violate the warranty requirements if you expect coverage. After the warranty runs, you can stretch out the OCI depending on driving habits. We now run our post-warranty 3.2 on 5K/6mos OCIs.

Also see if this vehicle allows for the oversized FL-1A size filter. The 3.2/3.5 does very well with the larger filter and adds an extra 12oz to the capacity.

iirc from an oil change i did on a pacifica it took 5w30. i may not be remembering correctly though.

On my 95 Intrepid with the 3.5 the manual states 3,000 mile/3 months severe use. 7500 mile/ 6 months regular use on dino.
I use Mobil 1 5w30 and change it at 10,000 miles or 1 year. Very clean inside the valve covers.

The advice from the dealer sounds great. I am surprised to hear these 3k OCI recommendations. 5K OCI with 5W30 dino oil sounds perfect. Dealer oil should be fine.

Since she has a tendency to forget, run M1 10w-30 at 5K intervals...that way, if she forgets, no serious damage would be done. Worth the extra $10 per oil change.

I personally think that all owners who have a tendency to forget having their oil changed on time should use synthetic oil to give them a greater margin of error.

FYI: the '95 3.5 and the later 3.2/3.5 are different engine families. The former is an OHC version of the old 3.3 block. Totally different lubrication requirements, particularly on the upper end.

The dealer's service department will always recommend what's in their tank - it allows a higher profit margin on an oil change. And they make money whenever the car breaks, even if DC is paying. If she's keeping the car past the note, run synthetic. In years 6-10, she'll be very glad she did. Otherwise, dino will get it through the warranty.

But I would have strong concerns with a dino 5W in this engine at hotter temperatures, even here in PA. In this engine, 5W is a CAFE weight. M1 might pull it off. But the 10W-30 is a bulletproof solution for all seasons and conditions.

I have a 2001 LHS with the 3.5L in it and I run 10w30 Chevron Supreme in Summer and 5w30 semi-syn Trop Artic or Kendall GT1 in winter...larger filters do fit the engine also however I usually run either a Purolator or E-core standard on it...been doing 3500-4000 mile intervals=4 changes a year=2 w/ 5w and 2 w/ 10w

that sounds like a good choice. really any dino will do, but if you like havoline then use it. good luck with the car. i really like the pacificas but they are so expensive. maybe later in life if they are still around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back