oil with many detergents or AutoRX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to clean the inside of my Lexus E300 engine and am debating between an oil that cleans well or one dose of
AutoRX.

I have another thread going asking about what oil to use for the rest of the engine's life
(http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=013827) but I wanted to ask about the best cleaners.

Is there any reason to NoT use AutoRX on this engine?

Which 0W30 or 5W30 oil is considered to be the ultimate cleaner?

Thanks
smile.gif

[ January 26, 2006, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: wwillson ]

ringmaster-

ordinary motor oil can only do so much on-board cleaning with it's own detergent package. Anything that was built up previously, you may have an interesting time (if not challenging) relying on motor oil's detergency package to perform "extra" cleaning....

AutoRx is a slow cleaner that does not rely on solvent cleaning (it's all about esters and polarity) and it uses motor oil as a carrier to reach all the nooks and crannies.

When you are through with the "cleaning" phase, you will have to perform the "rinse" phase by resort to using ordinary mineral based (dino) motor oil. If you are scared of dino oil, simply reduced the oil change interval to something like 2000~3000miles with 2 oil filter changes (replenish motor oil with ordinary dino oils) in between.

repeat the same AutoRx cleaning/rinsing phase a few more times if needed until you are satisfied.

p.s. oil viscosity weight (e.g. 0W30 vs 5W30, etc.)has nothing ot do with cleaning effect/detergency. You shall consider cleaning the engine innards with AutoRx and then to keep it clean, either consider a regimen of AutoRx (small maintenance dosage) or LC60.

Amsoil S3000 5W-30 should have strong cleaning capabilities due to it's high calcium content and ester content. An oil with lots of calcium and/or magnesium, particularly if it has ester in it, will have have superior cleaning capabilities. That Esso 0W-30 oil should clean too just probably not as fast as the above Amsoil.

AutoRx has esters in it. I'm not sure I'd use it if I instead used something like Amsoil S3000 5W-30, but certainly would if I was using a cheap mineral oil. Does it help clean? I think so. I think the only debatable question is how quickly and completely it can remove deposits/sludge.

Any diesel oil, my favorite is Delo 400, has much more detergent than almost any car oil. Look at the virgin oil analysis thread if you need convincing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back