Shell Formula 5W-30 1999 Honda V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q_16, I was so impressed by your UOA that after thinking about it, decided Formula Shell was too good to use 3 more fills of it to finish my double-dose Auto-RX treatment. So today I bought two 5-qt jugs of SuperTech dino oil, & will pick up another 3 qts soon.

The really ironic thing is that SuperTech now costs 9 cents per qt more than the Formula Shell did- $1.38 vs $1.29. I *did* snag one 5-qt jug at the old price of $6.38, though!
grin.gif

Stuart, That too funny. Hey Costco has this stuff by the train full.

Question. How does one know if it's the oil or the way the engine was put together and operated? I'm kind of wondering. I think I may try some high dollar Mobil 1 about the same weight and run another UOA.

I have done a number of VOA's and UOA's including my 1000hp+ race engines. I guess I'm just a little skeptical that the majority of the micro metals have more to do with the mech aspects and life than the quality of the oil.

Is that sacrilegious or blasphemy to say that on here?

quote:

Originally posted by quick_16:

Is that sacrilegious or blasphemy to say that on here?

Nope, it is a matter of fact. Once a trend is established for an engine type however it is possible to see differences between oils.

Nope, you may be exactly right on that. Terry Dyson once commented that my engine might give a good UOA even if I ran Wesson oil in it!
grin.gif

Now kids, don't try that at home!
lol.gif

Thanks
cheers.gif

I had yet to see that in writing and was just wondering.
dunno.gif

Terry has looked at every oil change in my race engine(s). He for sure he has helped be sort some stuff out like adding an air filter.
bowdown.gif

Here's new set of test numbers to eye ball. Pushed the interval a little. Same oil as last test, just more miles.
 -

I also swapped my truck over and ran it for the 1st time ever in thin oil check it out...

quote:

I plan to push 6000 on next cycle. Don't want to leave in TBN on the table...lol

Did you???
tongue.gif
No TBN this time?

That is the funniest quote I think I've read here!

Perfect results. Showin up the synthetics
grin.gif

I think 6000 is plenty for the interval and don't want to push the point at the expense of this engine. For me this was all about finding that happy point after swapping from Chevron glop. I did not feel the TBN was worth it this time and was pretty sure I could tell if the additive pac was wasted based on the rest of the data relative to the history.

PS No additives just oil and filters.

Anyone else getting 5 to 6k interval on there $10 oil change?
lol.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif
Ops that wasn't very nice. sorry all

I find it interesting that the chevron runs in the report show low moly. It is rumored this an oil with high moly, I'm thinking formulation change or its old stock.

quote:

Originally posted by MC5W20:
I find it interesting that the chevron runs in the report show low moly. It is rumored this an oil with high moly, I'm thinking formulation change or its old stock.

I did not notice the date of the oil I used in this change.

I have a few quarts of Chevron in my stash...
grin.gif

Some SL and SM. I think it may have been a later SM or older SL.. But it really does not matter to me with wear like that.
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:
No, I'm only doing 5k on my $5 oil change (incl filter)
grin.gif

Bill Kind of interested how you change the oil for $5. Please explain the cost of oil and filter. Must be cliping coupons.

I buy my Oil filters for both cars in bulk on ebay. I get the OIL at Costco

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:
No, I'm only doing 5k on my $5 oil change (incl filter)
grin.gif

Bill Kind of interested how you change the oil for $5. Please explain the cost of oil and filter. Must be cliping coupons.

I buy my Oil filters for both cars in bulk on ebay. I get the OIL at Costco

Pennzoil bought at 59 cents a quart and Chevron bought at 49 cents a quart.

All the oil I've got in my stash was bought under $1 a quart except the Syntec.. (That oil was $1.50 qt)

Yep, rebates are your friend! (as long as it's not Pep boys..
banghead.gif
)

So, for my Toyota, it's 4 quarts @60 cents and a supertech filter at $2.07 = $4.50 rounded up.

For my Truck, it's 6 quarts @ 50 cents and Supertech filter = $5.07...

The UOA I'm happy with. The long life I've received on my past cars/trucks I'm happy with.

Todays oils are better so all is good!
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

That's pretty cool Bill. I just finished a 30 by 40 shop and was thinking of buying about 20 cases of the Shell formula. I'm not sure what the shelf life is (anyone?), but it seems to work well and very well if you factory in cost.

good luck and thanks

Shell worked real well for wear-related activity -- just didn't care for it's over-normal consumption.

My ol' Caravan sure is fussy & thirsty with some name brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back