Choosing Oil For 2011 Hyundai Accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used 2011 Hyundai Accent on March 1st of this year. It had 31,000 miles on it when I drove it off of the lot. It now has 45,000 miles. I'm sure that up until the oil change before last the oil used was a [censored] to average conventional of 5w-20 weight. I put Mobile 1 5w-20 full synthetic in the oil change before last. The last oil change was a week ago and I put in Mobile 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0w-20. The manual says the car could take 5w-20, 5w-30 or 10w-30. I understand some of the basic ideas exchanged on this site but I'm trying to determine more clearly the best choice of oil for my vehicle. I'm thinking about wether the fuel efficiency that comes from Mobil 1 or Amsoil 0w-20 is better than going to Mobil 1 or Amsoil 0w-30 synthetic because of more wear protection.

Maybe there is a better oil for this car that I'm not aware of.

If you are concerned about warranty then you should only use what the manual says and keep all reciepts and dates and mileage in a log book or they could deny you warranty. I peel off labels and cut off box tops and attach them in my book as well as the other info.

If the manual has a temp chart go by that and if it doesnt 5-20 should be fine unless you live in a majorly hot climate. Then 5-30 might be a better choice.

I only have a little less than 5k of warrantee left. Also, winter in Maine seems like the best oil would be a 0W-XX weight.

Oh in that case a good quality 0-30 would be a safe bet. I think you have a more important choice of syn or conventional. And of course how long you run either. You should get a UOA done on the oil you have in it currently. One done at 5000 miles should give you an idea if you can go longer and the condition of the oil.

Agree with abycst that the best compromise is the 0w30. Since you don't list driving times per cold start and lenght of runs there can be no idea as to the best OCI but, problably as said, 5K would be a start point and probqably go up from there.Your owner manual with give you a good starting pont there. Ed

I say use MC 5w-20 and the OEM filter. Syn blend will be nice for cold starts and fuel economy plus MC has a great ad pack.

Either that or use good old PYB. Excellent add pack and easy to find.

In some situations it is and isnt. Ive seen good and bad reports with both. Around here its horribly expensive. Im a big mobil fan but have been using pp with great results.

Amsoil Signature is "better". Mobil-1 is not a synthetic oil - they are fibbin'. You would be better off with a light 0w20 in the winter. Actually, in practice 5w20 QS seened to do well on cold starts in my Ford Ranger above -10F. I dont drive my car in colder weather - its a car killer. Caterham may know which oils currently have the better vi and ccs #'s. I personally havent taken time to build a spreadsheet.

Originally Posted By: abycat
... Im a big mobil fan but have been using pp with great results.
You might think urine would freeze and not flow well when cold
smile.gif
smile.gif

-

sorry ... ...
27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
smile.gif
smile.gif

-

sorry ... ...
27.gif

What does this mean?

Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 is a fine oil. It doesn't technically meet the warranty requirements, but neither does the 0W-30 that others are recommending. Mobil 1's 0W-20 has an HT/HS viscosity of 2.7 cP, which is slightly higher than the minimum of 2.6 cP that most 20 grade oils are. So despite the fact that it's labeled a 20 grade, it should be a hair thicker at full running temperature. It also has a superior MRV number if I recall correctly, meaning it won't thicken as quickly in super cold weather.

It's a very good oil. I've used it before myself, and would use it again with no hesitation.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 is a fine oil. It doesn't technically meet the warranty requirements, but neither does the 0W-30 that others are recommending. Mobil 1's 0W-20 has an HT/HS viscosity of 2.7 cP, which is slightly higher than the minimum of 2.6 cP that most 20 grade oils are. So despite the fact that it's labeled a 20 grade, it should be a hair thicker at full running temperature. It also has a superior MRV number if I recall correctly, meaning it won't thicken as quickly in super cold weather.

It's a very good oil. I've used it before myself, and would use it again with no hesitation.

Why specifically does it not technically meet warrantee requirements?

Hyundai/Kia doesn't list 0w anything as an acceptable oil grade in the owner's manual, thereby not meeting the maintenance requirements for the warranty to be valid.

That being said I don't think using 0w20 will cause any harm in your Hyundai.

I run M1 0w30 AFE w/Hyundai filter in my Accent, and change both every 5000 mi. I have not tried the 0w20 AFE, so no opinion there. I have tried 5w20 PYB, QSGB & RP, 5w30 & 10w30 M1-EP. The M1 0w30 seems to run more smooth than anything else I have tried. I cannot detect any mpg difference.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
smile.gif
smile.gif

-

sorry ... ...
27.gif

Ha ha nice one!!

I am running Honda idemitsu 0w20 (sm) in my 2011 accent. It appears to be just fine. I will be doing an UOA soon, just to double check.

My girlfriend run Amsoil 5w-20 (ALM) year round in her 2011 Hyundai Accent and We live in Quebec City, Canada where winter could be very long and cold. Don't mind about 0w-.
We had to start car at -30C sometimes and we didn't had any problem or notice any engine noise.
If you wan't to run Amsoil, use a 5w- until you warranty is over because Hyundai won't approve a use of 0w- under warranty. That's what Hyundai Canada told me when I asked.
Maybe things are different here in US.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back