Choice between Rav4 and Mazda5 ...

I drove a like-new 2018 RAV4 with 60k miles today. It was super nice and quite comfortable. The asking price is $18,200, so about 2/3 of what a new base model would cost. This particular one is FWD, not AWD.

I also drove a 2012 Mazda5 with 108k miles with an asking price of $6500. It drove quite well.

My lizard brain wants the RAV but my economist brain tells me the Mazda at almost literally 1/3 the price is the smart way to go, especially since it’s just going to be used as a shared vacation/long trip vehicle and not a daily driver. Plus, it doesn’t have any of the expensive sensor systems that cost so much to repair. I could buy a lot of repairs and gas for the $$$ difference.

I’m not asking which I should buy, just sharing my thoughts. if past behavior is any indication both will sell while I’m thinking it over.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long do you intend to keep it? How much will it cost you over that period to operate and repair it? What will it be worth at the end of that period?

Purchase price + operation cost - sale price = total cost of ownership

Then add in the intangibles. Style, comfort, ect.

After you do all that, go buy the one your wife likes. :LOL:

Last edited:
There’s a decent difference between 60k and 100k, and six years of age, in terms of rubber parts and required service/anticipated repairs.

That said, it’s not 12k worth of difference unless the Mazda has real issues.

The rav4 can have problems, though they’re likely resolved by 60k. The Mazda could have rust.

I’d look the Mazda over very carefully. But I’d consider it hard unless there is some glaring issue…

Your Scion XB is rather similar to the RAV4, that is probably why you like it. The 2nd gen XB is superior imo.

I've had really good luck with Mazda vehicles over the years. I've had multiple Mazda 6 sedan company cars (typically kept for 60-80,000 miles each), a 2016 Mazda CX-9 AWD (150,000 miles and rising) and a 2008 Mazda MX-5 (60,000 miles and slowly rising). None have given me any trouble.

I have also owned a 2006 Toyota Sienna AWD minivan that lasted for 240,000 mostly trouble free miles before rusting so badly that the front sub-frame had to be replaced. Ultimately, the rocker panels also rusted so badly that I could no longer jack up the car by the recommended locations without collapsing the rocker. Ultimately, I donated it to Habitat for Humanity. They towed it away and claimed to get a salvage value of $2,000 for it, but I couldn't get $500 from any local dealer for a trade in.

Any car can rust and that would be my main concern for the two vehicle that you are considering, assuming neither has been crashed and repaired.

If the Mazda was in good shape, I would strongly consider it. This is especially true for your intended non-daily driver use. The Toyota price is inflated because of their well deserved reputation for reliability and durability.

Good luck.

Mazdas punch above their weight from a lux and driveability standpoint. People seem to love 'em.
The RAV4 has a well earned reputation; I would be buying a hybrid with our gas prices.

Depending on budget, that Mazda seems like a good way to go.

My .02 after owning a 2006 Mazda5. Mechanically had no issues other than a coolant temp sensor went out at around 40K. We traded it in at 90K. Tires. Hopefully that has changed. New tires every 25-30K. Don't care what you buy or how often you rotate them.

Comfort wise, torture. This was 2006 (first model year) so hopefully that has changed for the better.

Last edited:
Meh. I have a collection of 30-40 year old cars that would argue otherwise. It’s not like any of the cars have no miles.

Batteries go flat. Tires flat spot. Gasoline goes bad (E10). Etc. It's one thing to have an older fun project car, but it's totally different to have a vehicle at the ready for long trips & vacations.

I drove a like-new 2018 RAV4 with 60k miles today. It was super nice and quite comfortable. The asking price is $18,200, so about 2/3 of what a new base model would cost. This particular one is FWD, not AWD.

I also drove a 2012 Mazda5 with 108k miles with an asking price of $6500. It drove quite well.

My lizard brain wants the RAV but my economist brain tells me the Mazda at almost literally 1/3 the price is the smart way to go, especially since it’s just going to be used as a shared vacation/long trip vehicle and not a daily driver. Plus, it doesn’t have any of the expensive sensor systems that cost so much to repair. I could buy a lot of repairs and gas for the $$$ difference.

I’m not asking which I should buy, just sharing my thoughts. if past behavior is any indication both will sell while I’m thinking it over.
No way would I buy a 2012 Mazda5. I think that's got a lot of left overs from the Ford era, that car. I may be wrong, and if I am, go for it, but if I'm not, RUN! Or you could buy a 2018 Mazda CX5 which is more analogous to a RAV4 and a way better car, although I'd gently steer you toward a 2017 Grand Touring, or a 2019 Grand Touring Reserve, vs a 2018.

No way would I buy a 2012 Mazda5. I think that's got a lot of left overs from the Ford era, that car. I may be wrong, and if I am, go for it, but if I'm not, RUN! Or you could buy a 2018 Mazda CX5 which is more analogous to a RAV4 and a way better car, although I'd gently steer you toward a 2017 Grand Touring, or a 2019 Grand Touring Reserve, vs a 2018.
The 2012 Mazda 5 is a unique, all-Mazda design vehicle with ZERO Ford content. It was Mazda's attempt at making a mini-minivan that would appeal to small families with small garages. It has sliding rear doors and 3 row seating but the rear seats are not practical for adults. Based on the Mazda 3 platform with an extended wheelbase, it is somewhat underpowered, but extremely reliable. I'd go with the Mazda over the RAV4 and pocket the difference.

2012 Mazda 5 Review

Reactions: Ws6
Such vastly different vehicles. Personally, I would go with the Mazda at almost 12k less. But, your needs and use for the vehicle are important factors.

The 2012 Mazda 5 is a unique, all-Mazda design vehicle with ZERO Ford content. It was Mazda's attempt at making a mini-minivan that would appeal to small families with small garages. It has sliding rear doors and 3 row seating but the rear seats are not practical for adults. Based on the Mazda 3 platform with an extended wheelbase, it is somewhat underpowered, but extremely reliable. I'd go with the Mazda over the RAV4 and pocket the difference.

2012 Mazda 5 Review
Knowing that, then yeah. I really have just developed a dislike for anything post-2010 or so Toyota. It's cheap trash for a premium price. Same boat as Tesla until their price cuts.

Back