Chinese WIX Trans filter bad, let me down..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I hadn't been on the forum for some time, but I felt I needed to address this.

I was servicing my wife's '06 Stratus (52,000 original miles) and although it wasn't at 60k yet, decided that the 12 year old ATF+4 needed to be freshened up. So, I ordered a WIX 58934 and 12 qts. ATF+4. When I went to install the new filter, it wouldn't stay! The A604/41TE trans filter uses 2 stand-off posts on the filter body that push up into the valve body and these are what retains the filter into the valve body. Those stand-off posts on this WIX were just plain too small and just let the filter drop.

I got my precision caliper out and measured the mount posts against the OEM and they came up about .005 too small. When I was doing this, I then saw that this filter was Made in China! So, I ordered an OEM Mopar and then contacted WIX. Talked with Susan there and she asked me if she could have a field Rep call me. I told her by all means. Within an hour ot two, Mike from Mann-Hummel called. It was then that I found out that WIX had been sold about 2 years ago to this German corp. (I would have probably known this if I had been following the forum like I should have). Well Mike was actually not too far from me and came by about an hour later. I showed him what was happening and he absolutely agreed that there was a problem. I told him YEAH! it's called Made in China IMHO.I told him that I had been using WIX for nearly 40 yrs. and I had never had any issues until now nor I had seen a Made in China on their products that I ever remembered. He asked if he could keep the filter to send to engineering which I happily gave him. He then got a list of my cars and tractor and came by yesterday with engine filters for everything! Nice.......!

So, what's the take-a-way? Well, I was really disappointed to see that another American company sold out and gone overseas. I was also extremely disappointed to see a WIX with a Made in China on it. (BTW the OEM is American manufactured). Last, it WAS good to see that they seemed to still really care about their customer relations and they did make it right. I just really hope that now that WIX really isn't WIX anymore, that this Mann-Hummel hasn't started cheapening (can I say Fram-a-tizing) their products to pay for their acquisition..................

Most impressive! Now if they could only improve those efficiency ratings. Not a fan of Chinese products.

I had the exact same experience with a 2003 Dodge Caravan auto trans. The Chinese Advance auto filter will not lock in place and a Mopar factory filter locks in solidly.

Wix, Fram, Puro and ATP don't make their down tranny filters - they buy them from a 3rd party. In the past, if you bought a tranny filter from any of them you'd get the same or identical to OEM part from SPX Filtran or Allomatic in the box. Those filters were made in the US.

Now, unless you buy OEM or from a transmission parts supplier who distributes Filtran or Allomatic, a Chinese-made part is in the box. And even if you get the OEM filter or one from a supplier, it might still be made in China or Mexico.

I've installed a Chinese-made filter on a friend's Explorer that was in a Puro box recently. The filter looked identical to the part that was on there before minus the FILTRAN SPx stamp on the metal part or Filtran MicroFelt on the plastic part. But it did have the patent number on it and there was an informational sheet from Filtran in the box about the filter retaining bolt. My suspicion led me to think it was made by Filtran in China - SPX spun off Filtran to Filtration Group a while ago.

OP - If I might make a suggestion that you should pass along.

MotorKing, from Fram, comes on here, posts, takes input from users, etc...

Might I suggest that, since you have contact info for the Mann Hummel/Wix representative, you reach out and suggest he make an account on here, so he can act as a sort of liaison for them.

For trans and fuel filters I buy the cheapest from a local parts store, if it doesn't fit they will take it back. IMO they are all china made so why pay more for less?

Originally Posted by SirTanon
OP - If I might make a suggestion that you should pass along.

MotorKing, from Fram, comes on here, posts, takes input from users, etc...

Might I suggest that, since you have contact info for the Mann Hummel/Wix representative, you reach out and suggest he make an account on here, so he can act as a sort of liaison for them.

Good idea! I'll email him. In conversation with him I found out that he is familiar with BITOG and it's influence. My impression is that the guy is already putting in some loooong hours. But we'll see............

Originally Posted by DONWATERS
For trans and fuel filters I buy the cheapest from a local parts store, if it doesn't fit they will take it back. IMO they are all china made so why pay more for less?

Well, not all are made in China. The OEM filter is a USA manufactured by Filtran. So, for an extra $10, it's a lot of "peace of mind" for me considering how expensive a trans overhaul is. Just 'sayin.

I have used Wix in the past when I couldn't get an Mopar filter for Chrysler transmission changes and haven't encountered this problem so it might only affect certain ones or this was a bad batch. I do try to use Mopar transmission filters where possible because Chrysler transmissions can be fussy and aren't the best to begin with and adding after-market to that equation isn't the best thing to do IMO.

When I did my F150 pan drop a few weeks ago I went to Napa expecting to pick up a quality, Wix-made unit. They had some "Allomatic" manufactured filter which looked/felt like the OE unit. Put it in and no issues. I wish I remembered the COO but it wasn't China and wasn't USA (despite what Allomatic says on their website).

Well, they got rid of the evidence without too much fuss....sure the guy wasn't called "Mr Voolf"?

Originally Posted by Ducked
Well, they got rid of the evidence without too much fuss....sure the guy wasn't called "Mr Voolf"?

Well, one never knows. The rep said he would email me a report from the investigation engineering dept. So, I'll keep faith until something changes my mind.

Ordered some WIX spin on filters for our Allison transmissions behind our Duramaxes a while back........China. Cut one open, sent the rest of them back. Our brief stint with WIX is over on all fronts, back to Fleetguard for all and Allison OE for the transmissions.

I believe my Jeep has the same style filter with the posts, but there's torx screws as well.

Yours is just held on by the posts being pressed into the valve body?

I have a 2005 Unimog expedition camper with a MBE906 engine. Yes, you can buy oil filters onine, even direct from China thru Alibaba (engines too). The OEM filters are made in Slovenia but have the MB logo on them, always have been for the last 10 years.
I figure I could buy them cheaper but...a $25k engine in a $125k chassis in a $400k truck that needs oil changes only every 25-40K miles that goes places like Outer Mongolia (2y ago) - false economy.

You never know what filter you will get until you open the box. I ordered a Hastings trans filter for my 06 TB 4L60E. What came was a Filtran (cant remember if it was Chinese or Mexican built). It was visually identical to the OEM Filtran that came out. Has been working fine since.

I was researching rear fuel filters/water separators for my Ram because I was sick and tired of hearing "You can only use Mopar but they might be made by Racor but I pay more for the Mopar because its cheap insurance." People were not even sure who made them. Found out that the filters are all made under the Clarcor/Hannefin umbrella. Racor/Mopar/Hastings/Baldwin are all exactly the same, just different paint, decals. But I found this out by speaking directly with the company, who were more than happy to talk.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I believe my Jeep has the same style filter with the posts, but there's torx screws as well.

Yours is just held on by the posts being pressed into the valve body?

Yep, that's all that holds it it on. Wasn't able to get actual measurements but it looks as if the pan would keep it from falling out of the intake tube once it's in there. But, it's a poor system IMHO. I would prefer some sort of mechanical fastener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back