Chinese quality control is job #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: jhs914
I figured Ford and Getrag would have solved the QC issues with the MT82 by now. In 2012 I was in the market for a new muscle car. I did some reading on the Mustang forums because the new 5.0 Coyote motor was intriguing. I wanted a manual transmission and the Mustang forums had many long threads with complaints about the MT82. The complaints even resulted in an NTSB complaint being filed for safety concerns of people almost being hit by traffic when the transmissions wouldn't shift. The forum moderators finally got tired of the constant complaints about the MT82 and locked the threads.

All this convinced me to buy a Challenger SRT8 392 with a Tremec 6060. Nary a problem with the Tremec or the 392 in 2 1/2 years.

The scary thing is that Ford will continue to put the Chinese built MT82 in the new 2015 Mustang. If I ever bought a Mustang it would have to be an automatic. The MT82 has been a continuing mistake by Ford. A big pile of "Not Good" that they have refused to correct.

Yup. This is decidedly why I won't buy a BOSS 302 unfortunately. I love the car, but I simply cannot trust the gearbox. And I'm not into having to swap it out after ponying up the cash for the car. Not happening.

It should have got the T-56.

I couldn't agree more.
I see guys at the track with boost and nitrous drive their t-56 camaros and mustangs to the line,crunch off 1.6 60 ft times all day and drive the cars home,with a lil high speed highway fun to boot.
But the bean counters won at ford obviously.
Challenger anyone?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
So the whole time the new trans was in on the '14 there was this random fluid leakage. They checked it out and the fill plug was loose, tightened it and all was ok for a few days. Then the puddles started again. Finally brought it in today to check on the mysterious fluid, and at first they claimed it was a rear main seal that I obviously damaged on one of the two oil changed I did myself. Well thanks to the superior quality control in the Chinese factory that assembles the MT-82, they forgot to install the input shaft seal before installing the throwout bearing at the assembly plant.

I am willing to bet a US or Canadian, heck even a Mexican made, Tremec T-56/TR-6060 has never had this problem. So not happy with this car.

On the F-550 rollback I drove, the transmission left ZF with a shift fork installed wrong. Anyone can have a bad unit!

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
uh, who says the seal has to be installed by the factory? how do you know in the manufacturing process some monkey doesnt hammer it in during assembly? complain about china all day long, but without them you'd be a poor fella.

Totally disagree. You can't tell where a product is made by price alone, and the average cost for labor in a manufactured product averages 15-20% of the total cost. The middle man is who profits in this free trade venture. I'd rather pay a little more for a product and make 20% or who knows how much more at my job because this Chinese made [censored] has driven down my wages. The O/P has every right to have concerns with Chinese quality because it has been shown over and over again Q.C. is iffy to say the least. Another thing is that he didn't get a price break on the car by the tranny being made in China. This is exactly what is driving down the standard of living here in the USA. To top it off, US based auto parts companies hire $12 dollar an hour temps in order to compete with Mex and China. Moral of the story is to not buy foreign products if you can.

And yet...you own (at least) one foreign-built car. Hypocrite.

Sounds like Ford's diesel, its a great engine after you spend the price of a new Corolla building what they should have shipped from the factory.

Now you need to drop what $10k to put a decent transmission in the car?

Trade in time.

What I don't understand,it's supposed to be an "American car",but it's got a Chinese tranny,and if you tour a Ford parts dept and look on the bags the parts come in,99.9% of them say "made in China,made in Mexico,made in Japan,made in Canada,made in Sweden",etc. I wonder what part of them is actually American made?

BUT....V8 Mustangs are one of my favorite cars,and I'd own one in a heartbeat,Chinese manual tranny and all :^) It'd be a sin to own an automatic.

Ford outsourcing trans? I think i've got one of the worst and so did everyone else who has/had the F-150 80-96 with the Mazda M5OD "maz-dog".
It has the ridiculous tall first and Reverse. Hilarity ensues while backing a trailer.

That's crazy. It is amazing the number of Chinese made OEM parts these days. I look at the piles of parts GM drops at the dealer in the morning and the majority of them say made in China. Second would be Canada or Mexico. Not too many US. This is not just a GM thing though. Everyone from Chrysler, Ford, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, etc use some parts from China. The thing that is frustrating is that there is no reason why items manufactured in China can't be of better quality control. There are plenty of high quality parts/items made in China. It seems more so when a established company builds their own factory and QC in China. Problems quality seems to drop when companies just source from China build houses. I'm not a expert on this, just what I've seen.

Granted the Getrag 4hp22s in my 528es are a 30 yr old design . Ive had several, all with 250k or better when I scrapped the cars for rust issues. The Rat has a M5OD trans. I bought it with 126 k and now it has about 130k. The shifter bushings are worn out, But other than that, its fine.
grin2.gif

My 2004 Volvo S60R had a Getrag M-66 gearbox in it and it was awesome. Sometimes reverse was a little funky, but overall it was a dream to own and drive.

They make bolt in T-56 kits for just under 4 grand. You either get a TR6060 or a Magnum XL. I wonder if I scream and yell enough Ford would spring for one, yeah right.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Sounds like Ford's diesel, its a great engine after you spend the price of a new Corolla building what they should have shipped from the factory.

If you are talking about the 6.0L and 6.4L, Ford didn't design or build either of them, they were the product of International and those engines are the reason the partnership between Ford and International was severed and Ford is now making their diesel engines in-house.

Conveniently, they also do that with the (problem-free) Automatic transmission that is the "other option" in these cars. This Ford/Getrag Chinese joint venture has just been a disaster.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Another thing is that he didn't get a price break on the car by the tranny being made in China. This is exactly what is driving down the standard of living here in the USA.

and yet OP still bought the car, tell me who's fault it is when they agree to the price paid? The only thing keeping the standard of living where it is is the belief in the current dollar, reset that to bottle caps or glass shards and you would be a rich man.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
And yet...you own (at least) one foreign-built car. Hypocrite.

nobody likes a sour puss troll friend, move along now.

I knew full well what the gearbox was in the car when I bought it. I got the car with Ford's D-Plan which took the sticker price of $44,250 to mid $39k.

I am mostly upset that Ford would put their reputation on the line. Not only as an employee of a dealer but as a stock holder. I am also that a company like Getrag would allow such poor quality control at one of their facilities. However they do make the dual clutch transmission assemblies in the Fiesta and Focus, so maybe they don't care.

Here is the other issue, the Tremec T-56/TR6060 is a known quantity. It has been used in numerous performance applications with very little issues related to the gearbox itself. That unit is made in either the US or Canada. The cost cannot be much more, especially when spread over a volume that the Mustang GT would require.

There is another thing about this that really bugs me, lack of attention to detail. If they missed this part, what else was forgotten on the assembly line? This is a fundamental problem I have seen lately not only in the automotive field, but in almost every industry.

BTW in case anyone does not believe me about the made in China thing. Here is the case it ships in and the QC sticker on the trans itself.

The problem is unadulterated, singleminded.....greed.

The extent of this problem now affects all major
car manufacturers in a serious way and they show no sign of stopping with this. Sure costs were counted carefully a couple of decades ago. But now the only thing that seems to matter is whether or not the shareholder makes another red cent, as long as they can get folks to buy the product initially, they could care less about longevity and quality, that is why so many major manufacturers are pushing leasing in a huge way, heck they are even on a full court press to get 2 year leasing to become a norm in the business. The manufacturers know they are increasingly putting out stuff that looks great, and has a decent
aura of quality when you first buy it, but that usually goes away quickly because they don't engineer things to be durable over the long haul.

Its a shame their QC isn't worth the price of the paper sticker.
Any chance of retrofitting a different unit like the T-56 to this car?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its a shame their QC isn't worth the price of the paper sticker.
Any chance of retrofitting a different unit like the T-56 to this car?

They make kits to do it. Literally it is a bolt-in affair thanks to the T-56/TR-6060 being offered in the GT-500.

Another thing that someone brought up on another forum, how many other gearboxes were built without input shaft seals? And how long can a company of the stature that Getrag is continue to tolerate this lack of quality. I tend to expect more from a company based in Germany.

Yes that is quite surprising that Getrag is letting this issue get so out of hand.
Apparently this is some sort of joint venture that has really gone sideways, there is no excuse for it.

They will pay for it in the end when other manufacturers in their home market start getting this sort of junk and rightfully so.
That is a great looking car and it must be a blast to drive, it might be worth doing the other tranny just to get max enjoyment out of the car. Would Ford help out with some of the cost?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Here is the other issue, the Tremec T-56/TR6060 is a known quantity. It has been used in numerous performance applications with very little issues related to the gearbox itself. That unit is made in either the US or Canada. The cost cannot be much more, especially when spread over a volume that the Mustang GT would require.

And VOLUME is precisely why they set up a cheaper line of supply. The bean counters rule the mfgrs.

It's not greed. It's just a simple mistake in pursuit of a small cost savings per unit on a very high volume seller.

EVERY mfgr does it, just most do not get burnt so badly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back