Chinese Autolite spark plugs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: c502cid
I'm by far not a China expert but I've been there (Mainland) 8 times now and have seen from dirt floors on products that dont really matter to clean rooms that rival anything else in the world. When a foreign company specs lowest price, well you get that. When they spec highest quality, well you get that too. But that goes for any country, including here in the US. People used to bash Japan the same way they bash China now.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the most accurate answer. The "global" quality of various products usually boosts that idea and doesn't detract from it. Everything made in China isn't made to a price point for WalMart but for people who don't get out much...or don't buy things that cost more than $50 dollars, it's an easy reality.

I have no idea if Chinese-made Autolite plugs are good or bad because I've never tried them. But, I'd be tempted to say ( since I don't think much of Autolite plugs to begin with ), I'd wonder if another maker with Chinese labor had an inherently higher spec and QC in their production. After all, there's a difference between say U.S. or Korean tire manufacturers producing in China and Wang Dang ( Sweet ) Pu Tang Tires Ltd. dumping substandard production wherever they could. Not exactly a nuanced difference.

Mods, feel free to delete this if it becomes political:

http://harpers.org/blog/2013/03/the-state-of-fostoria-ohio/

I read an article a while ago about how Honeywell started winding down their Fostoria plant after the AlliedSignal merger and moving those jobs to Mexico and China. The quality of Chinese-made products is something we can debate for days - there's also a human and environmental cost as well. The loss of good jobs and how are we dealing with the byproducts of production? Logically, it should cost more to import something from China when you factor in the logistical cost of shipping things across the world. But the shareholder theory of business...

Originally Posted By: nthach
Mods, feel free to delete this if it becomes political:

http://harpers.org/blog/2013/03/the-state-of-fostoria-ohio/

I read an article a while ago about how Honeywell started winding down their Fostoria plant after the AlliedSignal merger and moving those jobs to Mexico and China. The quality of Chinese-made products is something we can debate for days - there's also a human and environmental cost as well. The loss of good jobs and how are we dealing with the byproducts of production? Logically, it should cost more to import something from China when you factor in the logistical cost of shipping things across the world. But the shareholder theory of business...

The modern container ship is basically why shipping from Asia is so cheap. And it's not just about China, since lots of stuff is imported from Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia, etc. The Mitsuboshi serpentine belt bought from my Subaru dealer were made in Thailand. The other OEM replacement belt at the dealer was Gates made in the US. Of course both factory-installed belts were made in Japan.

And basically a lot of what the world is dealing with regarding labor costs is exchange rates.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I can't think of any good product coming from China, except the tenderized cat served at the local buffet.

Then you're as dumb as that dead cat.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: Lubener
I can't think of any good product coming from China, except the tenderized cat served at the local buffet.

Then you're as dumb as that dead cat.

Usually my first reaction would be that wasn't "very nice". But his "off the wall" comment deserved such a reply........

We went through 32 Autolite spark plugs today, and will go through another 32 tomorrow, and hopefully 64 more on Sunday.

A failure is rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back