Chineese motorcycles

Not a motorcycle but I spent many hours researching Chonda generators before I bought one. The consistent report from people that owned many was that just because all Chinese brands looked the same - they were not, and assembly and overall quality varied a lot by Chinese brand, so research the brand your buying. Also if you can get one with a US distributor - at least you can order parts from them.

I do too....but that was then. Buying a cheap Chinese bike off of Amazon is like throwing your money away....and giving it to a country we will most likely be at war with in the near future.
I remember when they said you are buying a cheap Japanise bike too

I have a fair amount of experience fixing Tao Tao ATV's and no-name pit bikes, from the larger 125cc clones to the little 2-strokes. Here's what I have to say.

The Chinese have no concept of making a complete line of parts, with part numbers, revision histories, parts break-out diagrams, and parts support for many years. Manufacturers will make multiple minor and major mid-year changes with zero documentation. Parts for the TaoTao's (one of the larger US brands) are a crap shoot, even when ordered off of the company site. You can try matching number/color of wires, bolt hole locations, etc. off of eBay and Amazon, and the vendors will then have no compunction against sending you something that looks different and doesn't fit, and then just tell you "oh it's the more modern revision." Well of course it is, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't fit.

Like on carbs... many are non-serviceable, I'm not talking about covered idle screws, I mean air and fuel passages pressed shut and inaccessible to cleaning, things stamped or peened into place, etc.

For example on the parts issue, I got a carb from a major site specializing in TaoTao ATV support, and the float bowl came rotated 90 degrees. Support (US based) said it was on me to match the carb, they had pictures on the site. I sent them pictures where the new bowl position interfered with the intake and could not be mounted, while my old carb matched their pictures. After much back and forth and arguing the vendor realized there was an unannounced factory change on the same part number he'd been ordering for years, and relented and sent me an old-stock one he had. THIS IS NORMAL.

The electronics are wonky. I had a CDI that worked when it wanted to, would take random time-outs. I ordered 3 exact replacements, pictures matching pinouts, the last one from TaoTao direct. All didn't match what I had. THIS IS NORMAL.

I've heard some brands (CFMOTO) do a better job of supporting their US customers on parts... but keep in mind they are at the mercy of their suppliers, who no NO PROBLEM switching it up in a totally undocumented fashion.

I remember when they said that about Japan....

What we said about Japanese motorcycles had a lot to do with materials quality and much of it was visibly inferior such as poor welding, and poor alloy. In a practical sense that didn't make them bad bikes in daily use because what they did well is internal engine design. The only Chinese bikes I have looked at closely have had worse materials quality than Japanese bikes ever did. Don't know about internal engine design but that might be OK because lets face it they just copy other designs i.e they steal them.

Even if they ever produce real quality bikes I'd still be very reluctant to buy Chinese purely on ethical grounds.

My father's old Yard Machines 2-stage snowblower had a Chinese engine, it was pretty good. It ran fine and started easily, the only complaint was that it was underpowered but that wasn't the engines fault. I'm pretty sure the thing would have run on rubbing alcohol as fuel and vegetable oil as the lubricant. I loved how they put an extended tube on the oil drain making it extremely easy to service.

However, things more complicated the PRC cannot easily render, jet engines are a notorious example...

Japan has been a first world ally of the United States since the end of World War II. China is a communist second world regime with political parallels to Russia and other lesser governments. This issue is not about the quality of the product, it's goes much deeper than that. I'm sorry if this goes against board rules but if people don't see it by now we're in deep trouble.

What we said about Japanese motorcycles had a lot to do with materials quality and much of it was visibly inferior such as poor welding, and poor alloy. In a practical sense that didn't make them bad bikes in daily use because what they did well is internal engine design. The only Chinese bikes I have looked at closely have had worse materials quality than Japanese bikes ever did. Don't know about internal engine design but that might be OK because lets face it they just copy other designs i.e they steal them.

Even if they ever produce real quality bikes I'd still be very reluctant to buy Chinese purely on ethical grounds.
Your last line.... They said that about Japan also many years ago....

Back