China can wait. The Army’s focus should be Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beginning around 1990 or so, Ukraine was under an agreement that NATO would not encroach, which we have broken. Eastern Ukraine has been in violent dispute since 2014, with western interference. In 2014 we violently installed a puppet pro-western government, arms, training, etc. and Ukraine has been killing Russians for 8 years...
I'm no expert here but wasn't Russia doing the same thing? Taking over Ukraine with their puppet government would mean Poland, Moldova, and more countries could be next. It sounds unfair with the West influencing and installing governments in other countries but I think that's how to cookie crumbles. Do it or suffer the consequences. As always, I think there is also a greed factor. The victor will get contracts and profit from the countries industry and exports.

In fact this is one of Wagner's main roles, Prigozhin supposedly gets to take over any industry from the lands he conquers. This could have been part of the motivation for going to Bakhmut so hard because Prigozhin wants the gypsum and salt mines there. Of course he'll have to kick up a good chunk of profits to the big guy.

Would take a year at least. You would need to fly from bases outside of ukraine, as the ukraine bases can't handle western fighters, the landing strips are too rough and dirty. Refreshing the bases would be noticed by russia and they got missiles that can reach them easily.

Although nato is much more proficcient at sead, there's a lot of sams in the area. Nato never succeeded in destroying serbia's sam threat, that's nothing compared to what's in this theatre. And these modern sam systems don't give any warnings to their targets that a missile is heading for them, as older systems did, they can also engage at much longer distances if the target is flying above the horizon. Basically, go up high enough that manpads on the front are not lethal, and you WILL get shot at from inside russia, and shot down.

I hope it's not that easy for Russia to deter Nato. Maybe we've never revealed our cards yet, but in an all out war I hope we can prevent almost any deterrent.

Edit: more info / grammar.

Last edited:
Plus, many including myself believe that Russia will continue on to other countries. Poland for example.
Poland will likely retake the their former territories of the Western part of Ukraine while Russia will likely retake their former territories including Odessa. Whatever remains of Ukraine will be a small buffer zone between NATO and Russia.

It's really unfortunate for the Ukrainians when they made that fateful decision in 2014 to do another color revolution.

I'm no expert here but wasn't Russia doing the same thing? Taking over Ukraine with their puppet government would mean Poland, Moldova, and more countries could be next
Exactly correct. Viktor Yanukovych was a Kremlin puppet, and fled to Russia after his loss along with many of his ministers and intelligence officers. So there puppet was replaced with a (claimed) western puppet. Hardly new in the world.

Still gives no one the right to shell hospitals, schools and peoples homes, IMHO.

It's really unfortunate for the Ukrainians when they made that fateful decision in 2014 to do another color revolution.
This is exactly how influence operations work, in my understanding at least. The Euromaidan revolution was one of them. Whenever you see protests in places like Iran, Turkey, China, South America, and it seems like that country is either any enemy or there is something to gain, the west is probably behind it.

Poland will likely retake the their former territories of the Western part of Ukraine while Russia will likely retake their former territories including Odessa. Whatever remains of Ukraine will be a small buffer zone between NATO and Russia.
So basically like a North Korea? I hope nobody gains an inch other than Crimea being embarrassingly retaken.

Last edited:
So the Ukraine elected parliament approved a trade agreement with the EU, that Russia didn't like, so they got their puppet to veto it, which led to protests and a new election, which said puppet lost and fled.

Not saying there weren't external influences, but its honestly not a whole lot different than our elections with lots of money influencing lots of things from both sides and lies from everyone.

What is the shelf life for cased artillery rounds?
Our 155s are not cased, but have bagged gun powder placed behind the projectile.
Same with mortar rounds. The bagged powder is wrapped around the base of the projectile.
The un-fused war heads must also have a shelf life, or a best before date.
Bad storage practices will cause a rocket to U-turn as seen on you-tube.

My point being,, we might as well pop off or give away the stale dated ammo and fill the warehouse with fresh new and improved.

I am going to skip all the who will win which battle and when details. I will focus mainly on the economic front. US has the advantage in military because it has more military spending than the rest of the world combined, and more than half of the USD is circulated oversea. This is why US is so powerful and can win all battles.

However, that circulation around the world aspect can stop if major commodities are not traded in USD. The quickest way to lose that is losing other nations using USD in their currency reserves. How can that happen? By pissing off countries with major economies using USD (China, Japan, S Korea, etc) and losing our military power (i.e sunking of the aircraft carrier).

If that happens, many of the USD would get out of reserves and back into US in exchange for gold and commodities. Then the downward spiral of how to fund the military and how to protect the USD. The world economy will go backwards by at least 100 years from what an economist told me.

This is why it is not a good idea to pick a battle with a lot of nations especially China (they don’t need to win, they just need US to lose so much despite winning), and there are incentives for China not to pick a fight with the US (they too will collapse if they pick a fight). Taiwan has no problem as long as US remains a super power and US does not start a war with China or encourage Taiwan to go independent.

About Russia, they don’t have a choice in the future but to not lose any more Warsaw pack countries. They have nuke and resource but their biggest problem is economy. So they have to rely on China, who doesn’t want them gone or else the only common enemy left for NATO is China. I see the more US being hostile to either of them the closer they will be to each other.

Last edited:

I don't think Poland will take any of Ukraine's territory unless its clear Russia would be taking all of it. Poland and Ukraine haven't been the closest neighbors in the past but now they have a common enemy... They have been the most supportive nation of Ukraine per capita as they know it could be them next, and they might as well help defeat Russia without having the war take place in Poland.
Poland is buying lots of new military equipment and as it arrives I'm sure the old equipment is going straight to Ukraine, and there's probably thousands of Poles who have already volunteered to fight in Ukraine.
Even if the war in Ukraine is a stalemate, Poland and the other countries near Russia will all have increased their military capability greatly making another attempt by Russia to take over a neighbor even less likely to succeed.

I'm no expert here but wasn't Russia doing the same thing? Taking over Ukraine with their puppet government would mean Poland, Moldova, and more countries could be next.
Well that is certainly the MSM talking point. The (unsupported) fear that Russia won't stop at Ukraine. I have never seen any evidence of that, however. It is clear in my mind Russia has a very specific purpose and has drawn a bright line at Ukraine and western encroachment there. It has attempted peace there, many times, to no avail. I see no credible evidence Russia has designs on other nations in the region. It just wants NATO out of Ukraine as the starting point. I think that's very reasonable from Russia's perspective. It's a threat on their doorstep.

I do find the bipolar western Europe concerns interesting. They simultaneously mock Russia as being an incapable military, yet are concerned of further invasions into Europe. It's a logical inconsistency. Which means it is propaganda on both fronts. Russia is actually quite capable, and their strategy is sound in spite of internet commandos claiming otherwise. And Russia has shown reservation and no inclination on other nations beyond Ukraine.

Flip that script to Mexico, Russia installing pro-Russian government, weapons, training, etc. on our doorstep. Or Russian drones spying on us from the Gulf of Mexico. We know the result, it occurred in Cuba in 1960s. The US would not tolerate it.

Agreed.

US has the advantage in military because it has more military spending than the rest of the world combined, and more than half of the USD is circulated oversea. This is why US is so powerful and can win all battles.
Hang on with that. While it is true the US grossly overspends everyone else, we also grossly overpay high margins, and corrupt kickbacks and 10% to the big guy middle men for much of our MIC costs. IOW, we do not efficiently spend our money, whereas there is no comparable middle men in these other nations. Their funds go directly to the state owned military investments without corporate men skimming off the transactions. The US simply cannot win all battles, and demonstrably cannot win wars in 7 decades, due to a lot of factors we can debate at length but the fact remains in spite of all our spending and impressive tools and tech, it has gotten us effectively nowhere.

that circulation around the world aspect can stop if major commodities are not traded in USD. The quickest way to lose that is losing other nations using USD in their currency reserves. How can that happen? By pissing off countries with major economies using USD (China, Japan, S Korea, etc) and losing our military power (i.e sunking of the aircraft carrier).

If that happens, many of the USD would get out of reserves and back into US in exchange for gold and commodities. Then the downward spiral of how to fund the military and how to protect the USD. The world economy will go backwards by at least 100 years from what an economist told me.
100% Agreement. And we are seeing exactly this. The US has been a global bully for decades and using the petro-dollar global reserve currency to force our will on others, thru trade embargos, seizing assets, freezing accounts, manipulating currency, printing money out of thin air (thus devaluing what we gave them), etc. The other nations have wised up, formed allegiances and begun trading in gold, oil, Yuan, etc. and are developing an alternate (probably gold-backed crypto) currency to replace the USD. The USD petro-dollars have largely been responsible for US wealth, 1st world lifestyles, and dominance. That is rapidly coming to an end, per a lot of experts in economics.
This is why it is not a good idea to pick a battle with a lot of nations especially China (they don’t need to win, they just need US to lose so much despite winning), and there are incentives for China not to pick a fight with the US (they too will collapse if they pick a fight). Taiwan has no problem as long as US remains a super power and US does not start a war with China or encourage Taiwan to go independent.

I agree the US should radically dial back aggressive foreign policies. I think the best strategy for Taiwan, is they are not our fight or problem. We should be investing heavily instead into building our own tech/chip manufacturing plants in the US. I read one US strategy for Taiwan is to blow up the chip plants so China cannot have them. So it almost seems that no matter how this shakes out the US will need chip plants. I know Intel is building them but it's years from completion. I just shared an article stating the US is 13 years behind in munitions manufacturing as well. Our main allies in NATO are even worse off, they don't have energy, or really effective militaries, arms, munitions, food, etc. Most are heavily in debt too. They are of very limited help.

China is aligned with Russia, Saudi Arabi, India, Iran, Iraq, Brazil, etc. the largest energy and food producers in the world. China can easily trade good for energy and food. I do not see China realistically losing to the US, and given they have far greater global allegiances, manufacturing ability, and are in close proximity to oil, energy, food, etc. trade partners, China will weather a war far better than the US.
About Russia, they don’t have a choice in the future but to not lose any more Warsaw pack countries. They have nuke and resource but their biggest problem is economy. So they have to rely on China, who doesn’t want them gone or else the only common enemy left for NATO is China. I see the more US being hostile to either of them the closer they will be to each other.
Russia has grown its allegiances. It is trading arms with Iran, I think also N. Korea. The BRICS nations include Brazil, Russia, India, China, Saudi Arabia, plus others aligned include Iran, Iraq, Syria, plus resources from Afghanistan, S. Africa, and a handful more. Combined these represent at least 50% of the globe by population (>4 BILLION PEOPLE), and among the largest energy, oil, gas, food, weapons, manufacturing, and technology nations in the world. I don't think Russia is struggling for allegiances...

The US has by comparison 5% of the world population. WE definitely have superb military strength but it's propped up by the USD as you pointed out. And with $32 trillion debt, we are teetering on insolvency. WE simply don't have the money for more wars. That's problematic. It's further problematic we rely heavily on import trade and we do not have a strong manufacturing base to make things. We have a divided nation with deep socio-economic problems and seem unable or unwilling to fix simple problems here. IMO expecting we are going to fund some multi-front global war with half the world is insane and delusional. The US would be left in ruins in a conventional war. Militarily we cannot do it, and economically we'd be sent back to pre-industrial times with no economy or energy grids.

The (unsupported) fear that Russia won't stop at Ukraine.
Russia since 1992 has attacked outright or become involved on one side of civil wars in Chechnya (at least twice), Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan and of course Crimea in 2014. All in favor of either taking over outright or installing a government in their favor.

But of course they plan to stop in Ukraine. / sarc.

I don’t give a hoot about Western Europe. It’s time our government stopped sending our tax dollars there. NATO has outlived it’s usefulness.
Our politicians can find another place to launder our tax dollars.

Last edited:
So the Ukraine elected parliament approved a trade agreement with the EU, that Russia didn't like, so they got their puppet to veto it, which led to protests and a new election, which said puppet lost and fled.
The reality was vastly different than this.
I don't think Poland will take any of Ukraine's territory unless its clear Russia would be taking all of it. Poland and Ukraine haven't been the closest neighbors in the past but now they have a common enemy... They have been the most supportive nation of Ukraine per capita as they know it could be them next, and they might as well help defeat Russia without having the war take place in Poland.
Poland is buying lots of new military equipment and as it arrives I'm sure the old equipment is going straight to Ukraine, and there's probably thousands of Poles who have already volunteered to fight in Ukraine.
Even if the war in Ukraine is a stalemate, Poland and the other countries near Russia will all have increased their military capability greatly making another attempt by Russia to take over a neighbor even less likely to succeed.
They have thousands of soldiers fighting in Ukraine and have already lost about 1,200 dead ones. You are correct about arming - they are building up their military very rapidly both in the number of soldiers and also equipment. They are very serious about having influence in the conflict - all this cost is not going to go to waste.

I don’t give a hoot about Western Europe. It’s time our government stopped sending our tax dollars there. NATO has outlived it’s usefulness.
Our politicians can find another place to launder our tax dollars.
We should do everything in our power to help Russia into third world status. Its only common sense. A good part of our defense $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is bc of Russia, No? What am I missing??

If you were a betting man, you might assume Taiwan has nukes. Its a bit conspiratorial, but these are facts:
-Taiwan has 2 functioning reactors that can produce enriched fuel
-Taiwan certainly has the scientific expertise
-Taiwan had a nuclear program as late as the 80's. The had consultation contracts at the time with some of the world's leading scientists on the matter
-Taiwan has never signed the non proliferation treaty.
-Taiwan has lots of strong allies that have nukes - USA obviously, but there also pretty friendly with France.
- Taiwan has conventional missiles that can easily reach anyplace of importance in China. It would be easy enough to set a nuke on them.

Of course, Ukraine had nukes. They gave them up with an agreement from US, UK and Russia that those countries would guarantee their security under the Budapest memorandum. Guess that didn't quite work out.
I'm not 100% sure about Ukraine / Taiwan parallel is identical to how you state it.

One Taiwan military leader (forgot who) once publically stated that if Mainland China decided to invade Taiwan, they can last about 7 days and then it would be game over unless the US reinforce from Okinawa. A nuke would pretty much be useless if your base military is gone and you don't have enough nuke to wipe out the mainland.

These days, the biggest reason why Taiwan will not be invaded is the money they make from both US and China. A lot of their economy is tied to the trade and investment with both sides, even without a wa4, a ban on certain investments or trades would hit Taiwan hard, enough to steer their votes to the "no independence, no unification" choice.

How is it different from Ukraine? Russia doesn't want a "Taiwan", it wants Ukraine to not get closer to NATO / West.

Last edited:
We should do everything in our power to help Russia into third world status. Its only common sense. A good part of our defense $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is bc of Russia, No? What am I missing??
A stable Russia is an excellent trade partner for the world. Up until this conflict, it supplied 40% of Europe's oil and gas energy? Russia was exporting significant goods to Europe and the USA.

"In 2021, Russia was supplying EU countries with 40% of their natural gas, with Germany the largest importer, followed by Italy and the Netherlands. "

"
Russia’s biggest export products by value in 2021 were crude oil, refined petroleum oils, coal, gold, and goods made from semi-finished iron or non-alloy steel. In aggregate, those major exports accounted for 45.6% of overall exports sales from Russia. That percentage suggests that the Russian Federation offers a relatively concentrated range of exported goods. Russia is a world leader for exporting wheat and ranks among the most lucrative for global sales of crude oil, refined petroleum oils and coal."

What is the obsession with destablizing Russia? In fact, a destablized Russia causes a larger threat, just like a cornered wolverine. Do you know that when the USSR fell, it is speculated that some nuclear weapons and materials fell into the black market and are still unaccounted for today.

Furthermore, even if we can all agree that a weak or unstable Russia is an ideal (which I do not agree with, but for sake of argument), at what PRICE and what RISK shall we take to achieve such a lofty goal? Russia is, afterall, a world superpower with more active and superior nuclear weapons than any nation including the US. Russia has a 1st world military, a 1st world economy, 150M people, and very strong trade partners...

Which cities are YOU willing to trade in devestation against Russian cities? Which of your friends, family, neighbors would YOU like to see go fight and die in what would no doubt be a conventional war larger than WWI or WWII, easily reach every corner of the world, destroy endless resources, and possibly turn nuclear.

The same analysis needs to be had for China.

Is Russia or China just going to roll over if the US flexes? The answer is no.

Most Americans can't find Ukraine or Taiwan on a map (Just like Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, or Iraq before). Most Americans have 50 higher priorities in life than defending Ukraine or Taiwan, especially at the cost of continued spending of money we don't have, borrowing to fund wars and causing inflation. We could list 50 socio-economic, infrastructure, crime, border control, and other issues far more urgently needing attention in the US than these conflicts.

China can surround and blockade Taiwan and there's almost nothing the US can do to stop it, absent start the exchange of missiles, ships, planes, jets, then cities, then regions at large. It could go hot and escalate quickly in 48 hours.

That's a lose/lose scenario.

So those who continually "rah, rah, USA" should really ask themselves if they are truly interested and willing to exchange Dallas Texas for St. Petersberg Russia, or Miami Florida for Beijing China. Because that is truly what is at stake here. Any shooting war can and likely will start exchanging cities between superpowers until nothing remains standing.

And then you'll say, geez, Ukraine wasn't really worth that. Neither was Taiwan. Much like the 5 wars we fought and lost in the last 70 years. None of it was worth our grandpas, uncles, best friends, loved ones, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back