China boasts world’s largest navy: US DoD report

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023

A snippet from the article...
In the report submitted to Congress annually, the Pentagon said: “The PRC has the largest navy in the world, with an overall battle force of approximately 350 ships and submarines including over 130 major surface combatants.

“In comparison, the US Navy’s battle force is approximately 293 ships as of early 2020.”

Speaking at a press conference, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for China Chad Sbragia said that China was on course to expand its fleet to 360 vessels by the end of 2020.

The majority of the People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) fleet is made up of ‘modern multi-role platforms’ that host anti-ship, anti-air and anti-submarine weapons and sensors, the report says.

China’s fleet breakdown​

• Aircraft carriers – 2
  • Cruisers – 1
  • Destroyers – 32
  • Frigates – 49
  • Corvettes – 37
  • Amphibious transport dock – 37
  • Medium landing ships – 21
  • Diesel attack submarines – 46
  • Nuclear attack submarines – 6
  • Ballistic missile submarines – 4
  • Coastal patrol (missile) – 86

How Many Ships Are in the U.S. Navy​

According to data compiled and updated by the Navy, here is the current total of battle-force ships as of June 23, 2021.

Aircraft Carriers: 11
Surface Combatants: 115
Submarines: 68
Amphibious Warfare Ships: 31
Mine Warfare Ships: 8
Combat Logistics Ships: 29
Fleet Support:
Auxiliary Support: 1
Combatant Craft: 0
Other: 0

Total Battle-Force Ships in Inventory: 296

Total Active Ships in Commission: 251

The world is changing. Gone are the days that once you have a carrier you are invincible, and everyone wants to have nuke carriers, either for bragging right or as a queen in a chess game.

These days it becomes too expensive to build and everyone without a carrier would just try to target the carrier. The once open ocean now becomes a guerilla war zone where you have to look for a swarm of drones doing suicide attack. Yes you have 1 billion dollar carrier but they have 10000 suicide bombing drone, and you are scared of using your carrier if not necessary. Now China just build subs and drones to target carrier instead of another carrier to target Alaska or Hawaii, it is much cheaper and much more effective.

I think this is also the reason expensive new fighter jet based warfare will be gone eventually, and replaced by more affordable drones.

Don't forget their hypersonic weapons... Currently Burkes have advantage, but if we don't get next gen DDGs out on time we may have serious trouble.
Wish we have a long lasting peace in 21st century.

Did you know that a huge portion of their "Navy" are comprised of up-armored fishing vessels manned by retired Navy. They're are used to swamp fishing grounds which will be used as a pretext to laying a claim.

In any case it's not the shear number that matters. The USN is all about projecting power. Chinese Navy is all about remaining close to home.

Last edited:
Did you know that a huge portion of their "Navy" are comprised of up-armored fishing vessels manned by retired Navy. They're are used to swamp fishing grounds which will be used as a pretext to laying a claim?

In any case it's not the shear number that matters. The USN is all about projecting power. Chinese Navy is all about remaining close to home.
Very interesting!

I don’t care how large their navy is, they’ve still got to be able to effectively man them. Does anyone know how their leadership training ranks in the world?

Seeing articles like this invokes images in my mind of the 1st Sino-Japanese war in the late 19th century, just prior to the Russo-Japanese war. China came at Japan with a newly built fleet and were decimated.

Now, the weapons systems today are likely a lot less sensitive to training deficits and lack of experience, but weve been at this game for a long time and know how to Navy pretty well. That’s not to say we don’t have within ourselves a wasteful bureaucracy. It’s just that, when push comes to shove, I think our ability to stand up and stay up will outweigh and initial deficits.

Nah, China is just boastful, China will never win a war. Their soldiers can't shoot straight. "Give me 10,000 Filipinos and I shall conquer the World" - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
A day in history "The Battle of Yultong"

Last edited:
I think now that we are moving out of Afghanistan, greater focus will be on China. China copies everything, we know that. They are still behind us but catching up very quickly and in some instances ahead of us. The West is in for a massive challenge.

Did you know that a huge portion of their "Navy" are comprised of up-armored fishing vessels manned by retired Navy. They're are used to swamp fishing grounds which will be used as a pretext to laying a claim.

They also use some near navy class ships as "police" when they are confronting the Japanese along that disputed island. Neither side wants to go to war but they need the attention for their own patriotic flaming war reason, so bumper cars with the biggest ship win.

Also their Beidou (aka Big Dipper) satellite navi system mainly cover only their area, not the entire world like GPS are.

I don’t care how large their navy is, they’ve still got to be able to effectively man them. Does anyone know how their leadership training ranks in the world?

Seeing articles like this invokes images in my mind of the 1st Sino-Japanese war in the late 19th century, just prior to the Russo-Japanese war. China came at Japan with a newly built fleet and were decimated.

Now, the weapons systems today are likely a lot less sensitive to training deficits and lack of experience, but weve been at this game for a long time and know how to Navy pretty well. That’s not to say we don’t have within ourselves a wasteful bureaucracy. It’s just that, when push comes to shove, I think our ability to stand up and stay up will outweigh and initial deficits.
US after WWII has the best logistics of the world and today is the only nation that can support a war anywhere on earth. May not have the best in everything (I think IDF is the one that has the best money can buy) but long term logistic support, which is the deciding factor in most military operation, US will remains #1 in the foreseeable future.

China back then, was a big corrupted nation, ruled by an occupant minority tribe, manned by corrupted generals undermining each other. From what I was told the initial military operation between Japan and China was near stalemate until the general on the land lost to the Japanese forces moving in from Korea peninsula, because he wants to keep his influence rather than losing them and let the other general be the war hero.

Today's US military is experienced in wars and have been in constant warfare since Bush Sr time. China hasn't have a major conflict especially in the ocean almost since WWII or their own civil war time. They would not be able to compete against US Navy for sure. They may be able to win small conflicts against Philippine, Vietnam, or India however.

In the grand scheme of things, it is over or will be over. Once the logistic is over it is over.

I firmly disagree and I can tell you this is the biggest Charlie Foxtrot I have seen in my lifetime being conducted by our leadership. The repercussions of these current events will haunt us for decades.

I apologize for getting political but this has been a very bad day.

Last edited:
There hasn't been a "clean" withdrawal from any country by a world power since WWII. Either weapons get left behind, soldiers killed or both. And now with increasing social media and smart phones, its more in-your-face.

Being concerned about this (the navy news) is like being concerned about China having the world's largest economy one day. China has over 4 times the US population and eventually will have to be the biggest or have the most in a number of global parameters. Ho hum. Don't sweat this.

US after WWII has the best logistics of the world and today is the only nation that can support a war anywhere on earth. May not have the best in everything (I think IDF is the one that has the best money can buy) but long term logistic support, which is the deciding factor in most military operation, US will remains #1 in the foreseeable future.

China back then, was a big corrupted nation, ruled by an occupant minority tribe, manned by corrupted generals undermining each other. From what I was told the initial military operation between Japan and China was near stalemate until the general on the land lost to the Japanese forces moving in from Korea peninsula, because he wants to keep his influence rather than losing them and let the other general be the war hero.

Today's US military is experienced in wars and have been in constant warfare since Bush Sr time. China hasn't have a major conflict especially in the ocean almost since WWII or their own civil war time. They would not be able to compete against US Navy for sure. They may be able to win small conflicts against Philippine, Vietnam, or India however.

Ill have to go back over my notes. We only briefly discussed the highlights of the SJ war. We spent more time on the RJ war, which was also fought over Manchuria (now Korea) and norther islands.

Speaking of logistics, I haven’t read about any other country or union having a joint logistics team that leverages military and civilian assets like US Transportation Command does. Logistics is huge. If you can’t get the bullets to the front lines and redeploy troops and materiel back for fixin, then you’re done before you start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back