Chili is SERIOUS business in Texas

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
"Jesse James refused to rob banks in McKinney, Texas because his favorite chili was served in McKinney & he knew that if he robbed a bank there he would not be able to return and have some of that chili.

"Chili is SERIOUS business in Texas."

367984429_832244151605998_9153577031550883471_n.jpg

Last edited:
Smart man. Costco introduced a wonderful chili in their prepared food section last fall. It flew off the shelves. They stopped it in the spring, saying it was a winter season food. Hopefully it will be back.

My wife was into cooking "competition chili" in the 1990's. Known as a "Bowl of Red" Down Maine.
No beans, small chunks of meat and a lot of ground oven dried chili peppers - I think a mixture of Poblano Ancho and Anaheim and the usual tomato and onion - then the secret stuff - like simmered in Budweiser - not water. I will give away a secret ingredient - some dark chocolate

My wife was into cooking "competition chili" in the 1990's. Known as a "Bowl of Red" Down Maine.
No beans, small chunks of meat and a lot of ground oven dried chili peppers - I think a mixture of Poblano Ancho and Anaheim and the usual tomato and onion - then the secret stuff - like simmered in Budweiser - not water.
I will give away a secret ingredient - some dark chocolate
That's a very well-known secret, although a good tip nonetheless.

I've never had 'real' Texas Chili, but, if the Carroll Shelby chili kits are any indication of what Texas chili is supposed to taste like, hard pass. I've had it twice. The second time I made it myself and then buried it in the back yard.

"Jesse James refused to rob banks in McKinney, Texas because his favorite chili was served in McKinney & he knew that if he robbed a bank there he would not be able to return and have some of that chili.

"Chili is SERIOUS business in Texas."

View attachment 174291
A looong time ago, my late mom used to play bridge with a world champion chili maker.
It took a while but eventually many friendly hands of bridge led to this champion divulging secrets.
One of these secrets was a special chili powder.
If I told you anything more, I'd have to keel ya, sidewinder.

• Love
Reactions: GON
Back