Serious Huy Fong Sriracha sauce shortage

Steve & Ed's hot sauce (cheap) is plenty good enough for my pedestrian pallet.
S&E made a thicker version (type competition with Siracha) which I preferred but it disappeared.
That's too bad as the entire S&E line is priced right.
Frankly, the selection of hot sauces makes me smirk as the plethora of steak sauces once did.

Aside from heat level, do they really differ?

What is amazing to me is the high price of "Cocktail Sauce" (commonly used for cold shrimp).
I guess if you buy the shrimp, you buy the sauce.

Depends on the manufacturer and where you get it. I've seen really cheap cocktail sauce and it was pretty much the same as any other. But Trader Joe's seemed to be OK at a consistent price compared to maybe looking for a sale price.

Huy Fong claimed that their consistency was their key. They had a single chili pepper supplier (mentioned before) that sued them and was awarded $22 million in back payments. The founder was interviewed several times where he said his goal was to make a high quality product that rich people could enjoy, but at a price that most people could afford. That $20 28 oz bottle I saw I've seen sold for $2.75. He's also said that he wasn't looking to get rich beyond his wildest dreams, but rather than produce a product that he could be proud of because enough people could actually afford it to enjoy it regularly.

Steve & Ed's hot sauce (cheap) is plenty good enough for my pedestrian pallet.
S&E made a thicker version (type competition with Siracha) which I preferred but it disappeared.
That's too bad as the entire S&E line is priced right.
Frankly, the selection of hot sauces makes me smirk as the plethora of steak sauces once did.

Aside from heat level, do they really differ?

What is amazing to me is the high price of "Cocktail Sauce" (commonly used for cold shrimp).
I guess if you buy the shrimp, you buy the sauce.
lol I take 1 cup mayonnaise, and maybe 2 tablespoons of relish, and call it tartar sauce. It may not taste as good as a $6 3 oz jar at Whole Foods, since it lacks the secret ingredients (lemon juice, tarragon, dill).

I haven't tried it but there are several reviews that note that it's decidedly different. Supposedly sweeter along with less pronounced garlic.
Maybe true? I don't really care for either all that much, the Panda Express and Waba Grill chili also taste the same to me. I need more heat.

Oh, did not know that. Another sauce that I need to try. I think that I have one of just about every hot sauce ever made. My friends and family all give me hot sauces on just about every occasion.
Texas Pete has a Sriracha sauce called Cha. It's not their regular hot sauce

There have been some criticisms that it hasn't been the same after they stopped their single supplier relationship with Underwood Ranches. But then again there's always the issue of dealing with the consistency of a natural product (chili peppers) subject to the whims of nature, even with the same supplier(s).

I distinctly think that Tabasco has changed a ton with their signature red sauce. They can no longer provide all their needs growing peppers at their own site in Louisiana. I believe they still grow there, but have gone to suppliers in Mexico (I heard growing peppers from their own seed stock) for the majority of the peppers they use.

There have been some criticisms that it hasn't been the same after they stopped their single supplier relationship with Underwood Ranches. But then again there's always the issue of dealing with the consistency of a natural product (chili peppers) subject to the whims of nature, even with the same supplier(s).

I distinctly think that Tabasco has changed a ton with their signature red sauce. They can no longer provide all their needs growing peppers at their own site in Louisiana. I believe they still grow there, but have gone to suppliers in Mexico (I heard growing peppers from their own seed stock) for the majority of the peppers they use.
McIlhenny has numerous backup sites growing tabasco peppers (yes, that's actually a type of hot pepper, in its own subspecies, and not just a brand) in different parts of the US and probably Mexico, in case of crop failure or natural disaster at its prime sites around Louisiana.

Tabasco peppers are actually easy to grow. McIlhenny used to sell a small kit with seeds for just that. We had several plants in the garden in southside Virginia many years ago, and they produced well.

I remember hearing this a year or two ago. If you go to an American grocery store, you should be able to find them at a normal price. Asian stores for some reason blew their Sriracha prices up when this news came out.

huy fong is an interesting company. they chose who they sold to . even if you had money they would not sell to you if they wanted . got to give it to the founder. Came from vietnam with nothing and built a little empire.
Good for them!

I remember hearing this a year or two ago. If you go to an American grocery store, you should be able to find them at a normal price. Asian stores for some reason blew their Sriracha prices up when this news came out.

They're all out. Huy Fong doesn't sell directly to retailers, so it has to go through their wholesalers. I'm looking and they're out at nearly all non-Asian sellers like Walmart or major supermarkets. I think the Asian groceries are willing to pay the wholesalers' higher prices.

I'm looking at Target. They list the 28 oz bottle at $4.79, but there isn't a single store near me that has it nor will they deliver. They simply don't have any because they're not willing to pay whatever exorbitant prices that these wholesalers are asking for.

Last edited:
My parents used to put that stuff on everything - Huy Fong also makes a chili-garlic paste and a Vietnamese rendition of an Indonesian condiment.

I’m not one for spicy foods but I reach for the stuff with noodle soup or when something Asian just needs a little waking up. I’ve used it in burger sauce and meatloaf, too.

I haven't bought any in a while, but at least the Target website says that my local stores have them for $4.99 for a 28 oz bottle and available for pickup.

In Canadian Dollarettes:

1707174262794.jpg

McIlhenny has numerous backup sites growing tabasco peppers (yes, that's actually a type of hot pepper, in its own subspecies, and not just a brand) in different parts of the US and probably Mexico, in case of crop failure or natural disaster at its prime sites around Louisiana.

Tabasco peppers are actually easy to grow. McIlhenny used to sell a small kit with seeds for just that. We had several plants in the garden in southside Virginia many years ago, and they produced well.
I got that seed kit years ago and had one plant flourish. I gave it to a friend and it is still making cute little hot red peppers.
For a super tasty sauce, try Mexico Lindo's Salsa Picante Negra. Black hot sauce, really not that spicy but huge flavor. A big blob on a cracker with cheese x25 or so is a treat.

Back