Chevy turbo max 4 banger

Your thoughts on these? I’ve been a Toyota fan boy since 2002…Tacomas preferably. Although Toyota quality has gone down hill it seems with TTV6. I maybe looking in to a full size that gets decent gas mileage.

The guys who don't own one say that a 4cylinder motor has no place in a truck. The actual owners of these motors absolutely love them.
That^^^should shorten this thread by a few pages.....

Last edited:
I get 19 mpg around town with mine (cc 4x4) I drive very conservatively though. I really like it. I was prepared to hate it, but I wouldn’t have it any other way now. I think part of it is that it is lighter than the V8 and that just makes the truck drive and handle so much better. Most carlike truck ride Ive ever had. All Ive had before now were V8s.

i think there's one in my neighborhood
i wasn't prepared for Chevy cobalt turbo noises from a truck

Hot take: It nearly makes the 5.3L obsolete.

For your typical CCSB truck, the 2.7L does everything, including towing (with isn't typical use anymore), just as well as the 5.3L. Need more power, hate fuel economy, and love the high price of premium fuel? Buy a 6.2L. Need more torque, want great fuel economy, and love the high price of diesel fuel? Buy a 3.0L.

That leaves the 2.7L and 5.3L occupying the same space. Yeah, the 5.3L now gets the 10-speed as standard but the 2.7L now gets the 2nd gen 8-speed that solved many of the issues with the earlier 8-speeds.

Unfortunately, there's one thing that is a deal breaker for me on the 2.7L. I want my full size truck to have a center console, not a bench seat, and you can't have a 2.7L with a console.

i think there's one in my neighborhood
i wasn't prepared for Chevy cobalt turbo noises from a truck
I'm sure they're better sound deadening since the Cobalt days.

Can anyone tell me if this engine is an evolution of their old 2.2-2.4L Ecotec's? Probably went through a whole makeover 23 years later.

For your typical CCSB truck, the 2.7L does everything, including towing (with isn't typical use anymore), just as well as the 5.3L. Need more power, hate fuel economy, and love the high price of premium fuel? Buy a 6.2L. Need more torque, want great fuel economy, and love the high price of diesel fuel? Buy a 3.0L.

That leaves the 2.7L and 5.3L occupying the same space. Yeah, the 5.3L now gets the 10-speed as standard but the 2.7L now gets the 2nd gen 8-speed that solved many of the issues with the earlier 8-speeds.

Unfortunately, there's one thing that is a deal breaker for me on the 2.7L. I want my full size truck to have a center console, not a bench seat, and you can't have a 2.7L with a console.
Can't order it with 60/40 front seats with fold down center console? I know it's not true center console.

So you don't want a column shifter I assume? Because the "third "jump seat" in the center of my 2023 Crew Cab LT is very console like-except it isn't one. I have the 5.3-The motor was a ($1,595.00) option.

Can anyone tell me if this engine is an evolution of their old 2.2-2.4L Ecotec's? Probably went through a whole makeover 23 years later.
I think it's a part of GM's CSS (Cylinder Set Strategy) engine line. I believe the CSS engines are entirely a clean slate design, so I don't believe its an evolution of the old ecotec's.

Reactions: STW
I think it's a part of GM's CSS (Cylinder Set Strategy) engine line. I believe the CSS engines are entirely a clean slate design, so I don't believe its an evolution of the old ecotec's.
The 2.7 is a completely new design-made initially for trucks-hence the torque curve being where it is.

considering ive never heard anything good about the ecotecs that's probably a good thing.

So you don't want a column shifter I assume? Because the "third "jump seat" in the center of my 2023 Crew Cab LT is very console like-except it isn't one. I have the 5.3-The motor was a ($1,595.00) option.

No complaints about the column shifter, I just much prefer the fixed center console to the 40/20/40 seat configuration. My last truck was a 2020 1500 RST (with a 5.3L) and my current is a 2024 2500HD LT. Both are column shift with a center console.

Correct. Along with the 2.7L, common CSS engines also include the 3.0L diesel (LM2/LZ0), 2.0L (LSY) 4-cylinder, 2.5L (LK0) 4-cylinder, and 1.2L 3-cylinder (LIH)

One of the most unique parts about the CSS engines are shown on slide 11 in the above link. Instead of using common bore spacing, which will result is a similar packaging size regardless of displacement, as the bore diameter is reduced in a CSS, so does the bore spacing. That is, a 2.0L LSY with it's 86mm bore is physically smaller than the 2.7L with a 92mm bore.

Last edited:
I'm sure they're better sound deadening since the Cobalt days.

no it's probably quieter inside the truck. i was just out for a walk and a newer Chevy truck drove past, and sounded like a turbo 4 cylinder.
not the same engine at all, just sounds similar.

Is there anything you like that isn't 20plus years old???
2010-ish bmw diesels

other than that, give me simple efi with no can communications between modules and no gdi or wideband o2 sensors. or a diesel without egr and other emissions equipment.

Chevy tbi is pretty cool, only two injectors, isn't picky about fuel quality, and no carburetor adjustments.

This is about the most accurate and true summary I’ve heard. I specifically did not want the center console / console shifter so this worked well for me.

My long term average fuel economy is 23mpg in my 2023 LT crew cab 4x4 and that’s a mix of about 40% highway / 40% rural back roads / 20% city including a small amount of towing my 5,500lb boat.

The engine tows beautifully but as many will point out there’s no fuel economy advantage towing with the 2.7 over the 5.3 or 6.2. It just takes a lot of fuel (energy) to move a lot of weight regardless of the number of cylinders burning that fuel.

This is about the most accurate and true summary I’ve heard. I specifically did not want the center console / console shifter so this worked well for me.

My long term average fuel economy is 23mpg in my 2023 LT crew cab 4x4 and that’s a mix of about 40% highway / 40% rural back roads / 20% city including a small amount of towing my 5,500lb boat.

The engine tows beautifully but as many will point out there’s no fuel economy advantage towing with the 2.7 over the 5.3 or 6.2. It just takes a lot of fuel (energy) to move a lot of weight regardless of the number of cylinders burning that fuel.
In my experience, and from hanging out on the RV boards-with a gas motor you get 10-to 12mpg towing any sizeable weight at all. It seems to be that way regardless of motor size.

Is there anything you like that isn't 20plus years old???
Pretty sure he isn't 20plus years old. Odd.
In my experience, and from hanging out on the RV boards-with a gas motor you get 10-to 12mpg towing any sizeable weight at all. It seems to be that way regardless of motor size.
In 20k miles towing a 6000+/- lb travel trailer all over the country with the GM 6.6 gas the average is exactly 10 mpg.

I suppose one of the long term advantages of one of these 2.7T Silverados is I believe they only have a single catalytic converter and its close coupled to the engine. Probably too difficult for a POS to hack off. Probably a lot less expensive than the 4 catalytic converters most V6 and V8 trucks have these days.

In terms of turbo noise, I don't hear any noise from the stock 2.7's I've driven or been around. In fact, the guys I work with had no clue our plant Silverado was a 2.7T. They thought it was a small V8 or a V6.

The little 1.5T in my 2021 Equinox just sounds like a regular 4 banger to me. No turbo noise.

KISS keep it simple stupid as another member noted! manufacturers are TRYING to get better mpgs while keeping EPA satisfied, in the end the consumer has to deal with new tech with questionable reliability!! NOT for ME!!

Fuel economy has more to do with weight than number of cylinders. If the 5.3 gets 16 mpg, you would think a 2.7 should get 32 mpg in the same truck, but no. The main difference is with the 5.3, your foot will be 1/4 way down the gas pedal, while with the 2.7 it will be half way most of the time so the amount of gas used will be nearly the same.

Back