Chevy S-10 4.3L Amsoil S3000 5W-30 24,279 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
scan0001.jpg

This oil is working great for me. I am using the Amsoil Dual Remote oil filtration system with the Eao26 and BE100. As you can see by the oil report I had the 4.3 intake gasket problem but has been resolved as the sodium and potassium have come down. (This oil report was the only way I could convince the mechanic the repair my truck!) Make-up oil during this run was 1/2qt (Added .5qt @12K) i was down .5qt when I dropped this oil which still had its golden brown appeal, though it was dark brown! Wear metals look great to me and I am going to keep up the 25K OCI with the S3000. Looks like Blackstone thinks 26K would still be OK. I have used S2000 0W-30 in the past and would consider the newer S2000 next time. What do you guys think about the difference between the new S2000 and this oil? Any comments would be appreciated.

Nice, but the Silicon is and has been high.

Which air filter, when was it changed last and can you check for air intake leaks...?

The 5W30 HDD thickened by design. Look at that flash point?! Did you notice your fuel economy dropping off towards the end?? That's one of the complaints I here about the HDD product when used in a gasser (and I heard the same thing about TSO from my friends) is as it thickens up towards the end the economy gains go bye bye. I think you should give the 0W30 SSO a try next go around. You are getting silicon from somewhere...could be lingering from the repair, but wear metals look quite good. I wish someone would run some M1 EP with a dual filtration set-up to see what it looks like after 15,000 miles too.

I have decided that the Amsoil thickening is mo big deal. The wear would be better if it did not thicken?? My MPG's hang around 21.5 to 23.0 depending on how many times I hit the highway, so no adverse affect on MPG's w/the thicker oil. I have replaced the air filter at the beginning of this run with a fram. I cannot explain the Silicon numbers. As for Mobil 1, I have found it works great in Toyota's but the iron numbers seem to be higher in American made iron motors. Your thoughts?

Quote:
That's one of the complaints I here about the HDD product when used in a gasser (and I heard the same thing about TSO from my friends) is as it thickens up towards the end the economy gains go bye bye.

That is true. I think your best bet would be to cut the drain interval down a bit to offset the loss of mpg.

A 40% increase in viscosity is too much. 20% I believe is the max limit. I believe some ACEA spec's only allow 15%.

ALL oils would have thickened with this type of mileage on the oil so Amsoil held up well here. I would just cut the interval down a bit. Great report overall.

For this engine - this is pretty good!

S3K HDD is still old formula Amsoil. Yep thickens up. Made for HD diesels....

I would flush this out with a short run of Pennzoil and get on over to SSO 0W-30(New name and formula, there is no such thing as Series 2000 0W-30 any more, but you knew that
grin2.gif
).

Thanks for posting. It's nice to see the benefits of extended OCIs with a bypass. I have an Amsoil Dual Remote bypass as well, and I've been using SSO and TSO. I had virtually no change in viscosity when I was using TSO, but now that I'm using SSO I'm seeing a slight drop in viscosity, which is likely by design. If you were to change over to SSO, you would probably get similar results.

I noticed that my oil was pretty dark with extended OCIs as well. I guess that's telling us that the bypass filter is getting the big stuff but leaving the soot. Since the insolubles are staying low, it's not a problem.

Great report!

It's amazing how much the bypass filters help extend the drains with a good oil. Almost all bypass UOA's come back great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back