Chevy kills the 45K base blazer trim .

New vehicles are rapidly becoming unaffordable to the average working man.
Spot on. Mortgage the house... Big payments forever. Cars are a depreciating asset; what will it be worth in 5 years and you still have 2 years of payments remaining?
Unless you are financially set, signing on the line is a crazy move, IMO.

It’s hindsight, but with the price of this now, and how many other 2-row crossover EVs are out there, it’s a shame they didn’t make a Traverse EV instead.

I’d bet a $65k - $70k 3-row EV would get much more interest than a $55k-$60k 2-row.

Because that is where the money is. These companies exist to deliver profitability to their shareholders. They’re not here to provide a public service….not sure why it is so hard for some people to grasp that.
True, but what happens if and when people wise up financially? Or someone offers a vehicle that makes sense?
Henry Ford built cars that people could afford; he put the world on wheels.

CEO Barra is an idiot.

Because that is where the money is. These companies exist to deliver profitability to their shareholders. They’re not here to provide a public service….not sure why it is so hard for some people to grasp that.
They will be the first to come crying to the government/public to for special rules to protect them, or bail them out from their inefficient and/or bad business decisions though.
If the domestics can't or won't sell a reasonably priced vehicle, for 3/4+ of the market, then its not really in the majority of the public's interest to save them next time...
Toyota and Honda built their reputation from zero, by making their entry level cars half decent, and then people bought their more expensive models for the rest of their lives.
We'll see how it plays out I guess, abandoning the first time buyer market and then expecting them to plunk down 50-60-70k+ on their first purchase with your company sounds like a bad strategy to me, but we'll see.

Nailed it.

GM doesn't want to be in the same position as Ford and not making any profit on their EV's.

There's no huge worry about not making any money on EV's. Just shift those losses to the people who are buying gas vehicles, and cover it with increased sticker prices on gas vehicles. Problem solved.

Since everyone needs an AWD SUV thing, we might all have to drive base Subaru's... ;)
Impreza is 23k
Crosstrek is 25k
Forester is 26.5k
Outback is 29k
Ascent is 34k

All with the eyesight driver assist mumbo jumbo, and most come with 60 or 65 series tires, and most of them have pretty high domestic content.
These are great cars for the money. Too bad a lot of haters are stuck on the old HG issues.

I believe this will be the case...
Production will slow on purpose so inventory will be less and will sit on the lots less time, giving the impression their vehicles are highly sought. This will increase demand and drive up prices. (all manufacturers)

I believe Ford has openly advised of this already.

Nailed it.

GM doesn't want to be in the same position as Ford and not making any profit on their EV's.

This is what happens when the "Big Guys" finally take the EV market seriously but are many years behind a company that has billions of dollars of capital to spend every quarter, builds nothing but EV's and does so with modern, innovative manufacturing techniques, robotics and non-UAW workers.
Disagree. 1st, everyone except Tesla loses big money on their EV sales. At least Ford is transparent about it. The others obviously have something to hide.
Tesla was nearly belly up in 2018 and continued to operate in the red until a relatively short time ago.

New product ventures, with their start up costs, burn cash; they are an investment in the future. To make money, you need market share; profits will be difficult until you attain economies of scale in procurement, production and distribution.

Disagree. 1st, everyone except Tesla loses big money on their EV sales. At least Ford is transparent about it. The others obviously have something to hide.
Tesla was nearly belly up in 2018 and continued to operate in the red until a relatively short time ago.

GM has been very clear their EVs aren’t profitable. They’re shooting for profitability in 2025. Not hiding anything.

GM has been very clear their EVs aren’t profitable. They’re shooting for profitability in 2025. Not hiding anything.

I'm not sure your links show transparency.
I have not seen any financials that break out EV results, such as margins or even top line/bottom line numbers. Have you?

Totally useless imo.
Exactly! not enough "special customers" to sustain large volume enough to make profit IMHO.
Why oh why did we not transition into Hybrids FIRST instead of trying to jump off a cliff. So some people can feel
good? How good will they feel if they research into what has larger or almost equal pollution effects.
In before the LOCK.

Last edited:
Exactly! not enough "special customers" to sustain large volume enought to make profit IMHO.
Why oh why did we not transition into Hybrids FIRST instead of trying to jump off a cliff. So some people can feel
good? How good will they feel if they research into what has larger or almost equal pollution effects.
In before the LOCK.
+1 Transitioning would be smart, not hobble an industry to try and push an agenda.

OT- we lost power yesterday a cooler day not stressing the grid, I had a good laugh and went to the pool. All electric, what a crock/joke!!

Exactly! not enough "special customers" to sustain large volume enought to make profit IMHO.
In before the LOCK.
I like hybrids; I own one. The problem is, you are building a more complicated drivetrain than a pure EV.
But I believe hybrids are a great fit for many use cases.

Why oh why did we not transition into Hybrids FIRST instead of trying to jump off a cliff.
Hybrids are over 20 years old, last time I checked. Nothing new here, just a slow rollout, and perhaps with as much market share as they will ever get?

EV's on the other hand, until someone gets out there, the bugs won't be found. Perhaps things are being pushed too fast, but until you get inertia built, nothing will happen. Sometimes as bugs are found, better solutions are then found, and things can sidestep if that is the better path.

Hybrids are over 20 years old, last time I checked. Nothing new here, just a slow rollout, and perhaps with as much market share as they will ever get?

EV's on the other hand, until someone gets out there, the bugs won't be found. Perhaps things are being pushed too fast, but until you get inertia built, nothing will happen. Sometimes as bugs are found, better solutions are then found, and things can sidestep if that is the better path.
Agree with every word. Yet I just cant forget how many news stories talk about how dangerously fragile the entire electrical grid is and its said to not even be large enough. I am kind of shocked already (hope I dont jinx us all) that the power companies are not screaming for folks to turn off all non essential power users due to the heat. How much $$$ insetives and talk was given to hybrids vs the total EVs? I dont recall much.

Agree with every word. Yet I just cant forget how many news stories talk about how dangerously fragile the entire electrical grid is and its said to not even be large enough. I am kind of shocked already (hope I dont jinx us all) that the power companies are not screaming for folks to turn off all non essential power users due to the heat. How much $$$ insetives and talk was given to hybrids vs the total EVs? I dont recall much.

Its interesting though the selectivity of it.

Data centers use as much or more power than EV's as do large buildings but no one is at all in the slightest worried about their proliferation.

We all sit and click away without the slightest thought about whats behind it all.

Back