Chevy kills the 45K base blazer trim .

GM is serious about building products that can be sustainable profitable. I don’t think $57k will be an issue for this segment of buyers.

$60-70K is insane for a relatively incapable, and let's be honest, smaller vehicle. No thanks. It is roughly the size of an Rav4, and can't tow a boat to the FL keys with any reasonable range.

I don't know how people can afford this trend, oh wait, they can't. Clearly, the average American's income has not changed much. Mine hasn't.

$60-70K is insane for a relatively incapable, and let's be honest, smaller vehicle. No thanks. It is roughly the size of an Rav4, and can't tow a boat to the FL keys with any reasonable range.

I don't know how people can afford this trend, oh wait, they can't. Clearly, the average American's income has not changed much. Mine hasn't.
+1

What are you really getting for $60-70k with this compared to other options? Sheesh.

22" wheel$, my word.
A pal needs to replace his 20"ers ('17 JGC). I'm braced for his heart attack.
We're not in 'that segment'.
I have 14", 15" and 16" wheels at the moment. Not sure what 22" (!) does better for me, other than drain my wallet when it's time for new tires. Yikes.

Was toying with getting a Jetta, but it had 17" wheels. Looked around $50 more a tire. Each. Shouldn't be a deal breaker if I'm buying new (depreciation costs way more) but still, tires wear and is one more item on the TCO that one should keep in mind.

Guess I'm not a typical buyer.

I have 14", 15" and 16" wheels at the moment. Not sure what 22" (!) does better for me, other than drain my wallet when it's time for new tires. Yikes.

Was toying with getting a Jetta, but it had 17" wheels. Looked around $50 more a tire. Each. Shouldn't be a deal breaker if I'm buying new (depreciation costs way more) but still, tires wear and is one more item on the TCO that one should keep in mind.

Guess I'm not a typical buyer.
I'm sure it stems from my bad back, and my history of driving SUVs with large sidewall tires, but anything over 17" wheels and low profile tires is a no-go for me and our terrible roads. Besides the whole tire and wheel destroying thing, the jarring ride is awful. Some of these trucks and SUVs with 20"+ wheels ride like a shopping cart. My BMW has 17's on it, and I notice a big difference when I go back to the 16" winter wheels.

I'm sure it stems from my bad back, and my history of driving SUVs with large sidewall tires, but anything over 17" wheels and low profile tires is a no-go for me and our terrible roads. Besides the whole tire and wheel destroying thing, the jarring ride is awful. Some of these trucks and SUVs with 20"+ wheels ride like a shopping cart. My BMW has 17's on it, and I notice a big difference when I go back to the 16" winter wheels.
I went 225/40 R18 now on mine, and DWS 06+ are more comfortable than Yokohama Advan Apax V601 I use for track in 225/45R17. I knew Continental is very smooth, but this was surprising.

I know this thread will take on the typical GM look - but I’m not seeing much base anything out there - lots of mid to upper units …
(I don’t shop Korean brands, they might have more like the rentals)

Last edited:
New vehicles are rapidly becoming unaffordable to the average working man.
Since everyone needs an AWD SUV thing, we might all have to drive base Subaru's... ;)
Impreza is 23k
Crosstrek is 25k
Forester is 26.5k
Outback is 29k
Ascent is 34k

All with the eyesight driver assist mumbo jumbo, and most come with 60 or 65 series tires, and most of them have pretty high domestic content.

More profit with more options / higher purchase price.
Nailed it.

GM doesn't want to be in the same position as Ford and not making any profit on their EV's.

This is what happens when the "Big Guys" finally take the EV market seriously but are many years behind a company that has billions of dollars of capital to spend every quarter, builds nothing but EV's and does so with modern, innovative manufacturing techniques, robotics and non-UAW workers.

Back