Chevy Express Pricing and 6-Speed Trans

I was looking at Explorers but after realizing the payment would just be more than I wanted to spend I started to look at Express vans. Reason being, I currently spend $170/mo on a storage unit, I figured for not much more I can have all my stuff in a van.

And holy cow, their pricing seems to be through the roof for used ones.

For example, a local dealer has a 2014 Express 2500 4.8 with 150K miles for $20K!

Is this normal? And that said, at 150K, is the 6-speed just a few miles from destruction?

I've noticed most vans that are popular with tradesmen (Chevy Express/GMC Savana/Ford Transit) are all going for nutty prices these days. Even the Express vans with the 4.3 are hardly worth considering unless you absolutely have to have one.

The 6 speed is a solid unit in these, had a few dozen in the fleet at work and I don't remember one failing. They are without a doubt the most reliable, solid van on the market.

I've noticed most vans that are popular with tradesmen (Chevy Express/GMC Savana/Ford Transit) are all going for nutty prices these days. Even the Express vans with the 4.3 are hardly worth considering unless you absolutely have to have one.
I just want to throw this out there that the newer Express vans with the EcoTec/Generation V-based small block-based 4.3 is a night and day difference difference from the old Generation I/SBC-based 4.3.

About 300hp and decent power. So what I am getting at is one of those with a 6-speed in a Van can't be any worse off than a 4.8 2500 Express.

New and used Chevy Express / GMC Vandura vans have increased significantly in the past couple of years.
Plus you it's near impossible to find a dealer with a new on in stock .
Our company ordered a 2022 Chevy Express last year in February - we received the van in November.
And currently are unable to locate any dealers that have any in stock .
Our current fleet with the 6 speed and 4.8V8 have been really reliable .
We have at least four vans with over 250k that are still going strong on the original motor / trans.

I just want to throw this out there that the newer Express vans with the EcoTec/Generation V-based small block-based 4.3 is a night and day difference difference from the old Generation I/SBC-based 4.3.

About 300hp and decent power. So what I am getting at is one of those with a 6-speed in a Van can't be any worse off than a 4.8 2500 Express.
You're almost certainly right about the 4.3 vs. the 4.8.

I was just saying that vans with the 4.3 used to be significantly cheaper than ones even with the 4.8 and now they're all listed for silly prices.

You're almost certainly right about the 4.3 vs. the 4.8.

I was just saying that vans with the 4.3 used to be significantly cheaper than ones even with the 4.8 and now they're all listed for silly prices.
Oh gotcha, yeah totally agree on that front.

"Is this normal? And that said, at 150K, is the 6-speed just a few miles from destruction?"

The 6L80 trans is generally only unreliable when it is behind an engine equipped with AFM. This is because it is programmed to allow for slip in the torque converter clutch, which smoothes out transition from 8 to 4 cylinder mode, and vise versa. This intentional slip smokes the torque converter MUCH faster than when behind a non-AFM engine. When the TC bites the dust, it takes out a number of parts with it, including the pump.

TLDR: Transmissions are yet another casualty of cylinder deactivation. No AFM= happy lifters and torque converter.

"Is this normal? And that said, at 150K, is the 6-speed just a few miles from destruction?"

The 6L80 trans is generally only unreliable when it is behind an engine equipped with AFM. This is because it is programmed to allow for slip in the torque converter clutch, which smoothes out transition from 8 to 4 cylinder mode, and vise versa. This intentional slip smokes the torque converter MUCH faster than when behind a non-AFM engine. When the TC bites the dust, it takes out a number of parts with it, including the pump.

TLDR: Transmissions are yet another casualty of cylinder deactivation. No AFM= happy lifters and torque converter.
and a 2500 should have a 6L90E which is better than a 6L80E

4.8L 2500 Express with a 4L80E.....Totally mismatched combination & an absolute dog. I've done several 5.3L & 6.0L swaps on these after the 4.8L broke a valve spring, Dropped the valve & disintegrated a piston. They have to spend so much time at or near redline that the valve springs take quite the beating.

Last edited:
New and used Chevy Express / GMC Vandura vans have increased significantly in the past couple of years.
Our company ordered a 2022 Chevy Express last year in February - we received the van in November.
We have at least four vans with over 250k that are still going strong on the original motor / trans.
Used cargo van market is like much of the truck market too

This says something about the constant change in other vehicles just trying to gather attention and sales …
These big boring bread boxes never change much and just keep on trucking in tough conditions … ✅

Reliability wise the 4.8 is probably better. Port injection instead of direct injection and they run forever.
Also I've heard the 6 speeds mated to the newer engines go through torque converters (which usually destroys the rest of the trans).

Tradesmen love them....Independent Plumbers, Sheetrockers, Roofers, Tilers, Carpenters/Framers, Carpet cleaners all compete for used Econoline/Express/Savanna vans.
I wish they did 4WD - be the start of some nice campers - but not interested in what the modified vans cost - insane …

4.8L 2500 Express with a 4L80E.....Totally mismatched combination & an absolute dog. I've done several 5.3L & 6.0L swaps on these after the 4.8L broke a valve spring, Dropped the valve & disintegrated a piston. They have to spend so much time at or near redline that the valve springs take quite the beating.
I only know one person who had that happen (in a 2008 Sierra) and it never saw redline. He drove like an old man all the time. Also it was not high mileage. So my theory was a bad batch of of valve springs.

Reliability wise the 4.8 is probably better. Port injection instead of direct injection and they run forever.
Also I've heard the 6 speeds mated to the newer engines go through torque converters (which usually destroys the rest of the trans).
Normally an AFM issue - Range module was the best $300 I ever spent - I like driving it better now …

The 4.3 EcoTec3 V6 in the vans is the LV1 which will not have AFM, where you'd have reason to assume since it isn't trying to make the AFM "handoffs" smooth, it will not need to be slipping the torque converter as much. Therefore, I'd wager the 6L in those vans would live pretty healthy lives if maintained.

Back