Chevy Cruze - Thinking about one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Im looking to drive Uber with it, so it won't work.

Sorry but buying a car to drive with Uber just doesn't make sense to me. $6500 buys you a hooptie, you already have a hooptie so I just understand the reasoning behind this.

How many hours do you have to drive to make back $6500?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Sorry but buying a car to drive with Uber just doesn't make sense to me. $6500 buys you a hooptie, you already have a hooptie so I just understand the reasoning behind this.

My reasoning is if I spend $6500 on a car, driving for Uber for 6 months will pay for it. Then I end up with a 2011 car. I can probably sell my Camry for $1500.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
How often do you plan on carrying adult passengers?

I'm also 6' 2" and I have plenty of room in the front seats of the Cruze, but that eats up most of the rear seat leg room because the rear seat is tiny.

In my case, I'm generally in the driver's seat, my wife is in the passenger seat and the baby's car seat is behind the passenger seat.

It's definitely not a great car for carrying large passengers, but if you don't do that with frequency then you don't need a large back seat.

Doesn't Uber have lists of approved makes/models/years? Is the Cruze approved by Uber or not?

I know I've looked at the lists of approved vehicles online before.

My reasoning is if I spend $6500 on a car, driving for Uber for 6 months will pay for it. Then I end up with a 2011 car. I can probably sell my Camry for $1500.

I went through this when I bought my Sonoma last year, I needed a cheap truck to remodel the house. I figured $8k would get me something decent...wrong! $8k bought me a 2008 Colorado with 120k on it. I'm not paying $6k+ for something with over 100k miles. I settled on the Sonoma for $2k and other than tires and a $48 Walmart battery, it's been nothing but gas and one free oil change from AAA since January 2015.

If the Camry is running well, I'd save the aggravation of driving for Uber and just keep running it...just my two cents.

I went through this when I bought my Sonoma last year, I needed a cheap truck to remodel the house. I figured $8k would get me something decent...wrong! $8k bought me a 2008 Colorado with 120k on it. I'm not paying $6k+ for something with over 100k miles. I settled on the Sonoma for $2k and other than tires and a $48 Walmart battery, it's been nothing but gas and one free oil change from AAA since January 2015.

If the Camry is running well, I'd save the aggravation of driving for Uber and just keep running it...just my two cents.
I'm not dead set in stone on replacing it. It's still going strong. If I come across a deal I like, I'll do it. It might take a year, it might take a week. Who knows if it'll even happen. I figured I'd just post here and there on here to make sure there isn't something horribly wrong with certain cars. Sounds like the Cruze is decent, but I can't get over the size.

I owned an '11 with the 1.4 turbo, and my wife had a '13 with the 1.8. The 1.8 would run out of breath when trying to pass on the highway. The 1.4 used to make me angry with how god awful slow it would accelerate when you punched the gas, before the turbo kicked in. But overall, the interior was solid and they were good reliable cars.

Yeah, don't. Cruze is very mediocre. Pass. You are young, we all have only one life so better enjoy it. Late MkV Golf Gti. Brilliant car, and this is coming from a man who doesn't like VW much. Or Focus Mk2 St, 5 cylinder.

A couple of months ago I test drove a new 2015 (leftover) Cruze. I think it was the 1.4 turbo with the RS package.

Good looking car with GREAT incentives. Interior was ok, but I was really hoping it would impress on the test drive, but it didn't. I honestly had a Very hard time justifying it to myself when my 9 year old Focus performs comparably (and is totally paid off).

Only benefit in my case would be slightly better fuel economy (which I'd have to wait YEARS to re-coup) and no repairs for the first 4-5 years (I dont' mind turning a wrench...nothing more satisfying than a job you can do yourself).

Aside from that, It's just too boring for the price.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Yeah, don't. Cruze is very mediocre. Pass. You are young, we all have only one life so better enjoy it. Late MkV Golf Gti. Brilliant car, and this is coming from a man who doesn't like VW much. Or Focus Mk2 St, 5 cylinder.
well put

Or Focus Mk2 St, 5 cylinder.

We did NOT get this version here in the states, nor the last gen (whatever Mk. number that one was) RS/RS500 Foci.
frown.gif

Keep in mind that this is a semi old school GM car that varies a bit in ride/handling from trim line to trim line. The higher trims (Eco/2LT/LTZ) with lower-profile tires and the "sport" springs will handle better/ride firmer than a 1LT or LS with 16" wheels and taller springs. I verified this repeatedly at Watkins Glen where the higher-trim cars with the same HP pulled away from the lower-trim cars around every corner.

Adding a manual transmission also changes the car's character. The manual is used in some of GM's sportier Astras, so shifts are short, it's easy to shift quickly, and the first few gears are pretty short. So the car will accelerate rather briskly off the line since it can be wound out to redline in 1st and 2nd.

Lastly, being a turbo GM car, there's a healthy aftermarket. Tunes make a reliable ~25 hp/50 ft/lbs. Going from 138 hp to about 163-165 hp and 148 ft/lbs to ~200 ft/lbs also changes the car for the better. If modding strikes anybody's fancy, that is.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Or Focus Mk2 St, 5 cylinder.

We did NOT get this version here in the states, nor the last gen (whatever Mk. number that one was) RS/RS500 Foci.
frown.gif

We did. It was known as "Volvo C30 T5"

Seriously consider the new Malibu. Just drove on from Virginia Beach to New Orleans.

33MPG (@75-80), nice ride, nice handling. Good seats. Sirius satellite.

Very impressive little car.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Seriously consider the new Malibu. Just drove on from Virginia Beach to New Orleans.

33MPG (@75-80), nice ride, nice handling. Good seats. Sirius satellite.

Very impressive little car.

As a college student, I can't afford a brand new car.

I think I've decided to just keep on driving the trusty old Camry. Back to the race to 300k miles!

I find that "spruce it up" a bit each year makes it easier to keep it longer...whether it's paint, wheels, electronics....I budget $400 a year for such elective "maintenance"

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Keep in mind that this is a semi old school GM car that varies a bit in ride/handling from trim line to trim line. The higher trims (Eco/2LT/LTZ) with lower-profile tires and the "sport" springs will handle better/ride firmer than a 1LT or LS with 16" wheels and taller springs. I verified this repeatedly at Watkins Glen where the higher-trim cars with the same HP pulled away from the lower-trim cars around every corner.

Adding a manual transmission also changes the car's character. The manual is used in some of GM's sportier Astras, so shifts are short, it's easy to shift quickly, and the first few gears are pretty short. So the car will accelerate rather briskly off the line since it can be wound out to redline in 1st and 2nd.

Lastly, being a turbo GM car, there's a healthy aftermarket. Tunes make a reliable ~25 hp/50 ft/lbs. Going from 138 hp to about 163-165 hp and 148 ft/lbs to ~200 ft/lbs also changes the car for the better. If modding strikes anybody's fancy, that is.

That's all great to know, but HOW does one pull weight/mass off of that car/platform, if at all?
Are there aftermarket lighter weight parts available to trim the 3000 Lb.+ mass?

I ask NOT to put down the car at all, as I LOVE the way it looks, and rides, but as a serious query if I decide to look at another used one some day.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: sciphi

That's all great to know, but HOW does one pull weight/mass off of that car/platform, if at all?
Are there aftermarket lighter weight parts available to trim the 3000 Lb.+ mass?

I ask NOT to put down the car at all, as I LOVE the way it looks, and rides, but as a serious query if I decide to look at another used one some day.
smile.gif

Buy the lightest one out there and start gutting the interior. The Eco manual transmission weighs ~3000 lbs ready to hit the road, minus the driver. It's still porky for its class. There are no real ways to lighten it that I know of. GM used a lot of metal in the body, and it shows.

The real solution to your dilemma is adding power to overcome the weight. The Buick Verano, which as of right now shares a platform with the old Cruze, comes in a 260 hp version, with upgraded tires and brakes to match. There are chiptunes available that will get ~25-30 hp and 50-55 ft/lbs on the Cruze for $350. The same tuner also works their magic with similar gains on the Verano Turbo. Of course, finding a Cruze in decent shape is a lot easier than finding a Verano Turbo, much less one of the rare Turbo models with a 6-speed manual.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
I find that "spruce it up" a bit each year makes it easier to keep it longer...whether it's paint, wheels, electronics....I budget $400 a year for such elective "maintenance"

I like that idea. Makes having the car over the long term, more interesting and tolerable. This is outside of regular maintenance (shocks, brakes, tires fluid changes etc).

so far I've added HID fogs and tinted windows to my daily driver Focus.
smile.gif

Next up I'm thinking of an upgraded audio package including better quality speakers and an external amp added to the factory deck

I spruce mine up every year by vacuuming and washing. Just about time to do that again.
wink.gif

Usually I get a vehicle dialed in, then use it for years. As-is. Fiddling with things seems to be a sign that the end is near.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back