Chevy Cavalier ATF Change - What fluid is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, good advice with the fluid... But now I'm wondering if I should reuse everything to save money and not put junk parts on here.
Here is the thing -- back brakes were making noise. They always did. Gram had them checked out -- no difference.
I went and bouht good Wearever gold brake shoes.
I came home, took the rear tires off, and checked the brakes. They were in better shape than the shoes I bought - Wearever Gold. They looked like GM quality parts. My Gram didn't buy garbage from Advance Auto. She always went strictly to OEM. I took them back and told them the shoes that are on the vehicle have more padding and look more 'tough' than the Wearever I had bought. They refunded me.

I do not want to replace a more junky filter (everyone says the gasket that comes along with it is garbage) with a filter that is OEM and maybe a GM part (if they make filters).
So do you think I should reuse the filter?
I just dropped the pan.
The fluid is beautiful -- no metal shards or pieces anywhere.

Last edited:
If filter is a quality filter and it only has 60-70,000 miles on it... it might be good still considering you're not seeing much junk in there (much on the magnets?). I've had good luck when I've stuck with GM factory parts and ACDelco stuff on this car (not saying that's absolutely the way to go).

I didn't replace the original rear shoes until around 170,000 miles if I remember right. I replaced them with Parts Plus ones if I remember right (I was cheap/poor). They squeaked really bad for a long time. My wife was embarrassed to drive it. I think the techs that helped me replace them didn't have them adjusted just right. I finally, not too long ago, checked them out again (what a pain the get the drum off that time!). I backed the shoes off quite a bit and then took it for a test drive. I must have backed them off a bit too far because they didn't feel like they were grabbing at all. I put the self-adjusters to work and did some hard-stopping (mainly in reverse). They feel pretty good now and have only squeaked once since then.

Wow, so that is a lot of miles for your car! This car was only given to me because days after she had passed, I hit a deer and needed to get to work. It was supposed to be my Sister's car, but she bought a new one.
I am addicted to driving. Literally. So that is why I had gotten all those miles, meanwhile having a full-time job (technical support for car washed around the world). I drive a lot.
The back brakes still squeak especially when it rains. She had taken the car to a really good garage and they replaced everything... still squeaks.
Maybe I'll look into that problem next since you gave me good tips.

One more question -- how would I check the filter? Could I pull it off and look inside to see if it has dirt and metal inside?
The magnet is like wavy -- there was a good chunk of junk on the magnets, but not one single 'large' metal piece anywhere visible.

The filter kit is a Driveworks. It has poor reviews because the gasket is garbage.

The filter is in good condition. I dumped the oil out and it was all red. No metal pieces inside. The sand paper stuff inside is dark red. The new filter looks cheaper -- same design. The current filter says TOOL D on it, and has an edge that is a pattern of rectangular blocks. New filter is a straight edge and doesn't say TOOL D.

Last edited:
Good picture, is that how it looked when you pulled the pan or did you wipe some off? I'd expect a little more.
There's an open section of the filter that you can see a little bit of the media through... not sure if you'd be able to tell much about it really. If you keep it on there I'd plan on doing another service before too long (less than 30k maybe?) and plan on replacing the filter then with one that you are comfortable with.
My Cavalier has been great for me... the only time it has ever left me hanging was when the fuel pump went out around 110,000 miles... otherwise it really hasn't had any major issues. If you take care of it, it should be good to you I imagine. I don't plan on getting rid of mine because it's so cheap to keep and maintain so far. Burns a little oil on freeway trips... but it has never dripped a thing.
Did you end up going with Maxlife? I'm curious to see how your transmission runs with new fluid.

This was an untouched magnet.

Okay, good answer!
I looked into it and someone said the same thing -- do intervals - next time replace filter, etc.

I haven't had any mechanical issues at all. Only brakes... but nothing with the engine ever. It's always been great. The fan stopped working for the AC, so every time I put that on, it overheats. They say due to difference in pressure. I am now going to play with the fan once the transmission is good.
I was just thinking the same thing. This cavalier (03 as well) hasn't dripped anything. I've kept it running in the garage and not a drop. I looked underneath and nothing is wet. She must have replaced the exhaust too because it's about brand new.
The only thing that happened with me was a dead battery leaving the lights on accidentally. And then when I was sitting in the parking lot, I had my foot on the brake and noticed it when my foot just fell to the floor. Isn't that something? I accidentally had my foot on the brake and then it fell to the floor. If I didn't have my foot on the brake, I would have been driving when my brake line went out.

MaxLife
smile.gif

We shall see!

Last edited:
GM says the car should take 6.9 quarts of transmission fluid once the pan has been dropped.
I put 4+3 in. That equals 7. I used the screw underneath the cooling hoses, and some came out. I kept unscrewing it and a lot came out...
I was level. The car was running. ALL gears were used...
It made a complete mess. All over the radiator too. Car was still running the entire time.

What is the real method of testing fluid level? Is that really it? Am I just being paranoid about this just draining? I didn't even see what it was like if the entire check plug was removed.

I put all of the used ATF in used containers and it looks like almost 9 came out of the car when I drained it when dropping the pan.

Last edited:
I can't edit my post.
It looks like the YouTube video showed me the wrong fluid check screw.

I went underneath the cooling hoses facing the passenger side...
But I realize it is on the passenger side facing the driver side.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You check the fluid with the car at operating temperature (just like you would if it had a dipstick). The plug you pull (while it is running and level) I believe is on the passenger side of the transmission just a couple inches above the pan. If the level is right, there will be a little bit of fluid barely draining out the bottom of the hole. I hope that makes sense.
I'm not sure what that plug below the cooler lines (between trans and radiator)is for. I'm curious about that myself... but I'm pretty sure it is not used to check the fluid level.

I will attach a picture of the plug I have found.
Is this the correct one?

I put in 7 quarts... lost a little... but checked the level with the correct plug and nothing came out. I put in another quart and nothing came out.
I measured the fluid I took out initially and I got 5+4...
Maybe the car let out more oil than usual (6.9).

Anyhow, I want to make sure that is the correct screw before I keep adding oil and find out later it was the wrong check screw.

Last edited:
that is the correct screw, is the car level when you are checking? if you've got it jacked up it could skew it, sometimes what I'll do is start the car and remove the screw and lower the car level with a pan underneath, if its good I'll jack it back up and put the plug back in.

Sorry to bump an old thread... life has been crazy busy lately and I haven't been able to check in. How is the transmission doing now with fresh fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back