Chevy Break In Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I just took in my pocession a super nice 08'Chevy Inpala "SS" and am curious what type of oil (brand) is used as a factory fill???
I know the cap say to use a 5W-30 and that's fine as I intende to switch to synthetic after the frist OCI according to the OLM.

Thank you all,

Durango

GMFan,

Thank you for your fast reply. I had a feeling it was Mobil oil.
Is this oil good for the first OCI??? I'm want to use the OLM in this car so if it wants my to do 7500 OCI then so be it. What's you take on this?

Durango

I'm sorry...you have the Impala SS which is superchared. I believe GM uses Mobil 1 as the FF for their supercharged cars. Since your car is supercharged, I would use a synthetic oil in it (5w30).

I'd do the first oil change at 3,000 miles. Then I'd change it next at 5,000 and then use the OLM from there. This is what I would do....JMHO

Congrats on the new car!

Use the OLM. Everything I have seen and read says it works well. Lots of people on here think a new engine sheds metal enough to do a quick oil change at 500-1500 miles. I think that is a holdover from the old days and it is not needed.

If you are going to use syn and go by the OLM I would use the cheapest syn I could find and sleep easy.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I'm sorry...you have the Impala SS which is superchared. I believe GM uses Mobil 1 as the FF for their supercharged cars. Since your car is supercharged, I would use a synthetic oil in it (5w30).

I'd do the first oil change at 3,000 miles. Then I'd change it next at 5,000 and then use the OLM from there. This is what I would do....JMHO

Congrats on the new car!

HUH? The 2008 Impala SS has a standard 303 HP 5.3L V8. No supercharger. No supercharger as standard/optional in the current Impala SS body in any year it has been offered. The 3.5L V6 is the standard engine and has been right along with the 3.9L V6 and 5.3L V8 as the optional engines. None are/have been SC'd.

Your FF is regular Mobil as mentioned previously. All 08 Impalas( and years of that body )come with 5W-30 conventional oil as FF. Decent oil if you like Mobil products.

I would change it around 1000 miles and go to the oil of your choice. Oil spec's for your vehicle are 5W-30, GM6094M, and that it has the API Starburst. The OLM wiill probably take you to anywhere from 5000-7500 before it gets down there. That is too long, IMO, on the initial fill. I would, as said, do an OC at 1000 and then you can go by the OLM. GM's OLM seems to be pretty accurate. It really does get effected by changes in driving, temps, etc...

TONS of options for you out there. The current 5.3L really seems to really like Penzoil Platinum if you are thinking synthetic. Valvoline conventional oil does well if you are leaning that way.

Nice vehicle! Enjoy it. If I was going to drive a vehicle it would be an 06-09 Impala. My Sister has an 06 and I really like it.

Last edited:
It is Mobil...run it a few thousand miles, change it to whatever you what (synthetic of any type I like for that 5.3), then just use the OLM....

The 5.3 V8 is the same as in the Silverado. I've owned three of them now with the OLM. Change the oil at 2500 miles with Mobil 5000 conventional oil and an AC Delco filter, and reset the OLM. Then at 5000 miles change to PP 5w-30 or 10w-30 and use an AC or Wix filter. Change oil every 5000 miles and rotate tires same time (just easier to remember). You'll get a free monthly report from Onstar for first year. Bet it will tell you to go to 10k mile oil changes after a couple of oil changes...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back