Chevy 2500 or Ford F250?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which would you get and why? Please don't give me the chevy's rule and fords suck or the other way around. I believe they are both good trucks with each having their own strong and weak points. I am just looking for people that might have some real world experience. The truck will be 4x4 and gas engines. If I get the Ford it will be the V10. If I get the chevy it will be eithe the 6.0 or 8.1. It will be used for a DD and hopefully towing a boat at some point. Nothing of real weight that would strain either of these trucks. Thanks in advance. I plan on keeping whatever I get for a very long time and both will be on 04 to 06.

I don't have experience with either, but I checked Consumer Reports (I'm a subscriber) to see what they said.

The last year reviewed for the Chevy was '04. Of their sixteen reliability categories, the ones that were less than "Good", "Very Good", or "Excellent" were:
* Engine Minor (Fair)
* Electrical (Fair)
* Suspension (Poor)
* Audio System (Poor)
Everything else was rated Good, Very Good, or Excellent. Their new car prediction was "Average".

For the F-250, they have it rated through '06. And for model year '06, they rated every category as "Very Good" or "Excellent", except "Body Integrity", which was rated as "Good". In other words, they didn't rate it low ("Fair" or "Poor") in ANY category, but for some reason, they said the new car prediction was "Much Worse Than Average". I can't figure that one out, unless it's because of the earlier year problems. Specifically, the F-250 looks like it had some issues (before '06) with Transmission (a couple of Fairs and a Poor), the Drive System (five Poors and two Fairs!), and the suspension (several Fairs).

Of course this is just one company rating, but it's probably as accurate as any individual examples you may hear on a forum. Probably much less biased and scientific, too. But take it FWIW...and as always, YMMV.

Good luck!

Thank you LouDawg. That is interesting how the Ford scored good or better on everything but was rated worse than average. Oh well thanks for the info.

Which to get is a very personal thing.
Drive both and see if either is a better 'fit' for you.
You'll be living in the cab, so which interior is more pleasing to you.
Trucks, generally, have a worse repair record than cars because they often(or at least sometimes) see work use, off road, towing, etc. duty.
Check the EPA mileage estimates. Talk to a few owners about their experiences.

If you're in a position to wait, I'd look closely at the new Chevy / GMC when it arrives. The 1500s are receiving high praise from auto journalists....especially with the optional diff locker (not LSD). They look great too.

I would recommend either brand of pickup. They both would give you years of service if maintained properly. The V10 Ford and 8.1LV8 Chevy are both gas hogs. If you don't tow often, consider a smaller engine. Test drive both, go with the one you like best.

This is totally anecdotal, but there was a gentleman here recently who is a shop mechanic for a coal mine in Wyoming. Basically he said the trucks are running 24/7/365 and to say they are abused would be the understatement of the year. Guys jumping them with feet of air underneath etc. etc. etc.

Just his word, but he said the Fords are hands down tougher than the Chevys; he said the frames on the GMs break way easier than the Fords and the Fords can simply take the abuse better.

anecdotal, but good info non the less

Hey Drew99GT...which mine? My dad was the maintenance coordinator for Cordero up until 1993....was wondering if we may know the same people! (Sorry for the thread jack).

I prefer the Ford and how it drives but was disappointed with the 6.0 diesel and its issues. However since your going for a gas engine than the V10 has been known to be quite solid.

Chevy is a Superior Daily Driver and has a better Small Block in the 6000.

Ford SuperDuty is in my opinion a Heavier Duty Truck and has superior fuel mileage in the V10 vs 8100.
The 8100 has had some teething problems in oil usage etc.

For a daily driver that could tow I would buy a Chevy 2500 6.0L.

For a working truck I would buy a SuperDuty V-10 although I would be inclined to go with the F350 SRW to get
the heavier front and rear axle and better RAWR (This has been a real issue if using a F250 with a fifth wheel.)

Last edited:
Based on appearance I would not get the Chevy, but the GMC instead. Well actually I'm a Ford guy and would buy the Ford, but the GMC IMO looks a lot better because I don't like the Chevy grill design at all.

My own experience is the Ford is a much heavier built truck.I drive a Chevy 1500 company truck and my brother is driving a 6.0 Denali,even compared to my Expedition which is based on a F150 platform they seems like a light weights,especially in the frame and susp dept.Even though the Ford only has a 5.4 it has more pulling power.

It's really just personal preference. The Ford Is probaly a little heavier duty if you really need it. solidfront axle and such. the Chevy has better steering feel and to me seesm plenty heavy duty enough for any reasonable usage. The 8.1 is very old tech and I personally like that. I have a 2006 with 8.1. It's just fine for 4-5000 miles a yr.
I have had Fords' V10 also. It's a great engine but I'd be wary of people telling you (and they will) that it's gets better milleage than the big block chevy. If there is a diff between them i sure couldn't tell.

BTW if you the auto Allison it's now a double OD. A 6speed auto. You may want to get 4.10 gears if you tow but really won't go wrong either way.

LordAbbet hit the nail on the head. Chevy/GMC better daily driver. Ford More heavy duty. I don't know about the Ford Transmition. But GM allison tranny is reaguarded as the best in the business. But you can't go wrong. That being said how big is your boat if you don't mind asking.

I have owned trucks from all the big 3. I would consider a Dodge 2500 also with the 5.7 Hemi.

If you want something more Rugged and Durable get the Ford.

Chevy's are nice daily drivers but don't plan on putting a plow on it or overstressing the frontends, the IFS on those can't handle it, my opinion is anything bigger then a half-ton should have a solid-axle in it

Nothing Against the Allison Transmissions but the Torqshift in the Fords is just as well built if not better.

Thank you all for all the info. Dave I don't mind you asking at all. I don't have a boat yet. I would like to get a boat that can be put into salt and fresh water conditions to some fishing, nothing extreme, nothing that would be hard for either to tow. In fact I know the chevy 1500 with the 5.3 would be able to tow any kind of boat that I would get. The Solid front axle in the Ford is the main reason I even consider the Ford at this point. I have driven the Chevy 1500HD with the 6.0 and I absolutely loved the way it drove. I enjoyed the way it drove more than any other vehicle that I have driven. I have not driven the Fords however and I don't expect it to drive as nice since it is a SFA however I will probably be doing some minor off roading in this truck ( should have mentioned that in the first post, I apologize ) and I would like to put a leveling kit on the Chevy if thats what I end up with. I would consider the Dodge but I just really do not like the interior in them. Lordabbett, what is the driving experience like with the 8.1 vs the v10, does the power come on fast and rev fast like the small block 6.0 or is it slow revving and all TQ? Same question with the v10 if you don't mind me asking? Thanks again to everyone and please keep em coming.

have you thought about a Ford half-ton? Ford has started putting heavier duty suspension in their half-tons since they've gone with the 5.4 liter, i dont' think i've seen any new ones with the dinky 8.8 yet, they are all coming with the heavy half-ton rear axles

Since you're a buying a gas burner, I would recommend going with whichever one has a more comfortable ride. Face it, every manufacturer has a lemon out there but odds are you won't ever get one.

Now, if you were to buy a diesel I would tell you to stay the hades away from the 6.0 PSD. I've owned one, and I will say that FoMoCo flat out dropped the ball on that engine.

From my experience as a technician I would go Ford.

While in school, I worked at Sears and everyone jumped at the chance to look at a Chevy(GM) just because the likely-hood of a Starter, Alternator, Serpentine Belt, Tensioner was so much greater. The rear brake system unless fixed was very prone to VERY poor wear patterns and rust build up in the rear rotors (Their drums worked great) so brakes were always pads and rotor out back.

As for the 10 Cylinder had one in the dealership recently that had the valve seals replaced and at 180,000 miles the crosshatch in the cylinders was still perfectly visible and ran great when done. It lives on Motorcraft and other dino oils in excess of 3K intervals.

F250 gas trucks are pretty solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back