Chevron Turbine Oil Varnish Webinar

Came across an interesting video on varnish formation in industrial turbines.

(starts at 25:10)

One of my cars shows symptoms similar to ones shown in the video

Photo taken today of the fill port:
IMG_2672.png

A few highlights for those who don't want to watch:
Screen Shot 2023-10-14 at 5.15.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-14 at 5.18.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-14 at 5.25.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-14 at 5.31.03 PM.png

Good video & I remember one member on here recently using this in their engine oil from Chevron. Was that you?

Good video & I remember one member on here recently using this in their engine oil from Chevron. Was that you?

Yeah. Everyone around me thinks the car will be ruined but I think the cleaner is something special.

It could be placebo but it felt like the effects were noticeable after 24 hours.

In case studies, they saw the operating temperature drop almost immediately so maybe that has something to do with it:
https://fr.chevronlubricants.ca/con...ECH_ISC_CaseStudy_Tahiti_Platform_Mar2020.pdf

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 7.27.01 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 7.23.18 PM.jpg

Still have to figure out a safe concentration and if it's best to run it continuously with lots of filters or only at the end of an OCI

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 6.59.23 PM.jpg

I thought that might of been you since the video mentioned it LOL I remember your filter too & I would say that it did some cleaning. Did you do any digging about the effects it has on seals etc? I think you've decided to go with HPL EC now... Is that right?

Did you do any digging about the effects it has on seals etc? I think you've decided to go with HPL EC now... Is that right?

In the marketing, they write "Excellent seal compatibility"

also came across this table:

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 12.00.13 AM.png

I think you've decided to go with HPL EC now... Is that right?

No.

Went with HPL Supercar 0W40 and if the UOA from the last run comes back as normal, plan is to add 5% cleaner to this OCI.

Considering HPL PCMO is stronger than EC at cleaning, the idea is ambitious but I have faith..

“Chevron Turbine…Webinar”

Sounds suspiciously like:

“Rockewell Turbo Encabulator”. Just saying.

Never underestimate the progressive power of an anhydrous dingle arm…

Last edited:
In the marketing, they write "Excellent seal compatibility"

also came across this table:

No.

Went with HPL Supercar 0W40 and if the UOA from the last run comes back as normal, plan is to add 5% cleaner to this OCI.

Considering HPL PCMO is stronger than EC at cleaning, the idea is ambitious but I have faith..
Ambitious indeed & it's interesting to see your results. 5% sounds quite substantial but I don't know much about it other than what you've posted. I'd never suggest anyone running over 5% fuel in their oil in a gasoline engine if we're comparing it to fuel in the engine oil. Do you think this could have detrimental effects like fuel or do you think it's in a better position than fuel in oil or that we can't compare it to fuel?

Ambitious indeed & it's interesting to see your results. 5% sounds quite substantial but I don't know much about it other than what you've posted. I'd never suggest anyone running over 5% fuel in their oil in a gasoline engine if we're comparing it to fuel in the engine oil. Do you think this could have detrimental effects like fuel or do you think it's in a better position than fuel in oil or that we can't compare it to fuel?

I don't think it can't be compared to fuel in oil. Fuel is 100% a solvent and according to the SDS, vartech is 70-99% oil based (Highly refined mineral oil (C15 - C50)

In the PDS, they recommend a concentration of 5-20%
https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=590623&docFormat=PDF

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 8.25.46 AM.png

In the Chevron cleaning guide, they say it has minimal impact on new oil performance in residual amounts up to 2% so we have an idea that 2% concentration should be perfectly fine. The UOA should also give an idea if it's ok to push it to 5% as the oil was in service for long enough.

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 8.22.41 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 8.23.31 AM.png

Viscosity looks perfectly fine @ 5% which I assume is the main worry

HPL Supercar 0W40 is 84.79 @ 40C
or 14.38cSt @ 100C

vs.

with 5% cleaner added, viscosity will be 83.20 cSt @ 40C
or 14.05cSt @ 100C

Last edited:
Very good information! I agree with your assessment that it's not comparable to fuel in oil until you reach a very high % of this stuff. I'm assuming they're referring to 40c temperature of the oil and not the 100c. when they reference the viscosity. So will you add the 5% toward the end of your oil drain or run it the whole interval? Where could I buy this stuff? Is it expensive? I've been talking about cleaning oils & or additives with another member here @buster & it would be nice if we could learn more from your testing. Understanding that this is supposed to be used in turbine engines though.

I'm assuming they're referring to 40c temperature of the oil and not the 100c. when they reference the viscosity.

You are correct

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 2.12.27 PM.png

https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=590623&docFormat=PDF

So will you add the 5% toward the end of your oil drain or run it the whole interval? Where could I buy this stuff? Is it expensive? I've been talking about cleaning oils & or additives with another member here @buster & it would be nice if we could learn more from your testing.

If I were prudent, it would be at the end of the oil drain as that's what the literature is suggesting is best practice.

For now, the plan is to run it for the whole interval as the ultimate goal is to remove discolouration which isn't something I think we've seen with other cleaners. Chevron suggests a higher concentration is needed to achieve this and I'm not comfortable testing over 5% with this car.

My hypothesis is running it for a long time at 5% will give similar results to doing short runs at 10-20%. We'll have the UOA @ 300 miles to see if it's a good idea and the next UOA will be 3000 miles.

Will make threads with the results once they're received. First one will be sent next week.

Where could I buy this stuff? Is it expensive?

So the main issue is it normally only comes in a 5 gallon pail.

Chevron sells direct for $278USD. Might be able to use coupons, not sure.

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 3.11.13 PM.png

https://buy.chevronlubricants.com/en/Brand/Chevron/VARTECH(TM)-Industrial-System-Cleaner-(ISC)/p/223000448

Their distributors also sell it. I was apparently the first to inquire in Canada and was quoted $800CAD / 579USD....

After a ton of research, came across a video showing they sell a 12 x 1 liter package in China. It's not sold anywhere else.
Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 10.16.37 AM.png

Got two bottles for $27 each.

Because of the risks (potential trouble from customs if inspected), buying direct from Chevron's website and splitting the pail is the way to go if the experiment works out. 5 people could get 3 litres for $55.

Understanding that this is supposed to be used in turbine engines though.

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 2.26.20 PM.png

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...industrial-system-cleaner.341212/post-5919033

Wish we could ask for more information but they haven't logged in since 2021. Not going to bother to look at their post history more than I have but they seem to have posted a lot about Chevron products in the past..

You are correct

View attachment 187899

If I were prudent, it would be at the end of the oil drain as that's what the literature is suggesting is best practice.

For now, the plan is to run it for the whole interval as the ultimate goal is to remove discoloration which isn't something I think we've seen with other cleaners. Chevron suggests a higher concentration is needed to achieve this and I'm not comfortable testing over 5% with this car.

My hypothesis is running it for a long time at 5% will give similar results to doing short runs at 10-20%. We'll have the UOA @ 300 miles to see if it's a good idea and the next UOA will be 3000 miles.

Will make threads with the results once they're received. First one will be sent next week.

So the main issue is it normally only comes in a 5 gallon pail.

Chevron sells direct for $278USD. Might be able to use coupons, not sure.

View attachment 187906
https://buy.chevronlubricants.com/en/Brand/Chevron/VARTECH(TM)-Industrial-System-Cleaner-(ISC)/p/223000448

Their distributors also sell it. I was apparently the first to inquire in Canada and was quoted $800CAD / 579USD....

After a ton of research, came across a video showing they sell a 12 x 1 liter package in China. It's not sold anywhere else.
View attachment 187904

Got two bottles for $27 each.

Because of the risks (potential trouble from customs if inspected), buying direct from Chevron's website and splitting the pail is the way to go if the experiment works out. 5 people could get 3 litres for $55.

View attachment 187900
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...industrial-system-cleaner.341212/post-5919033

Wish we could ask for more information but they haven't logged in since 2021. Not going to bother to look at their post history more than I have but they seem to have posted a lot about Chevron products in the past..
Wow, great info! Yeah, keeping it in lower concentrations for extended time might work just as well & not allow the oil properties to be disturbed too much. I'm really looking forward to your UOA on this to see if you see any spike in wear metals that might show a cleaning process going on. Sounds like this product is intentionally left in bigger containers at a high price to prevent misuse & target the specific market. I mean it has a lot of attributes that we would love to have. Reduced temperatures, cleaning up the system. I mean whats not to love about it except the price. Thanks for the warning about ordering & I know US customs has been monitoring imports from China & other countries. That picture you posted earlier I'm assuming is your oil filler area & that does appear to show some sludge/varnish. I don't blame you for trying to do something about that.

Back