Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus vs. Redline SI-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read a number of posts on this site in regards to the deposit issues with VW 2.0T FSI engines.

My friend's VW 2.0T FSI has 20k on it now and it's probably a good time to use a quality fuel additive. He always uses top-tier 91 octane fuel, so I hope the deposit issues aren't too severe.

Pep Boys has Techron Concentrate Plus on-sale for $8 (Buy One, Get One Free), but it's the version that treats 12 gallons. Should I just dump 2 bottles in there? The GTI has a 14.5 gallon tank.

As an alternative, I could use the Redline SI-1. I used a bottle of SI-1 in my Saturn and in a Corolla, but I didn't notice any difference, so I'm a bit skeptical.

I don't see many Techron fans on this site. Is there a reason why? How does the Techron Concentrate Plus compare to the Redline SI-1. I heard that the Techron was recently reformulated.

Thanks!

You may also want to add Gumout w/ Regane.

Techron is better as strictly a fuel injector cleaner, methinks.

There are alot of Redline Sl-1 fans and it is at least partially due to the fact that people want to find an obscure brand that is special and only known about by aficionados.

Gumout is a Pennzoil product and maybe the best.

If your car is in good conditiion then none of these products will make a difference. Especially if you have less than 110K miles.

It is on high mileage poorly maintained cars were they really shine.

I've used both techron and redline sl1 in my 08 gti and I much prefer Lubro-Moly Jectron available at napa. I paid 5.09 a bottle at napa. much cheaper than redline or techron and more effective IMO. Suggest your friend should install a pcv bypass http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1463475#Post1463475 ASAP IMO or at least a catch can (BSH has an atmospheric version out now) is better than nothing. I would also seafoam (or lubro-moly valve cleaner) the intake valves http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1383285&fpart=1 unless he wants his valves to look like this at 22k

valve2pn3.gif

or this at 80k
4cylindervalves.jpg

Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux

If your car is in good conditiion then none of these products will make a difference. Especially if you have less than 110K miles.

I disagree with both these statements. I have seen immediate improvements on numerous low to intermediate mileage cars with high quality fuel injector cleaners. This includes MB, BMW, Porsche, VW, Honda, Volvo, Saab, Toyota, Subaru, Infiniti I have owned. Of course none of these improvements were seen when using gumout, which is perhaps why you think they make no difference.

Which fuel injector did you use that made this noticeable difference?

Originally Posted By: saaber1

I disagree with both these statements. I have seen immediate improvements on numerous low to intermediate mileage cars with high quality fuel injector cleaners. This includes MB, BMW, Porsche, VW, Honda, Volvo, Saab, Toyota, Subaru, Infiniti I have owned. Of course none of these improvements were seen when using gumout, which is perhaps why you think they make no difference.

Obviously everyone's experience is different, use what works for you.

I used Redline SI-1 on a 2000 Corolla(had 125K at the time), and noticed a big difference as well as increased mpg.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Which fuel injector did you use that made this noticeable difference>

Spartuss, I have tried pretty much every FI cleaner you normally see on auto part store shelves over the years and with these I have noticed no positive effect (I used to own a car lot and have had a ton of cars so I went through a lot of this stuff):

Pyroil, STP, Gumout, Gunk, Prolong, and lots of other cheaper brands I don't remember (wal-mart?, carquest?, napa???).

I used a valvoline "synthetic" product a couple times in the past and it made a small difference.

I have used Techron extensively and have noticed definite improvements. One concern I have is that the improvements seem to be fairly short lived.

"Outlaw" for some reason has always worked well for me in a number of cars.

Lubro-moly Jectron I have tried only recently in the GTI and Toyota and it did make a big difference in both those cars and the benefits have lasted much longer than Techron IMO. The Toyota has 80k and it used to chug, chug, quite a bit at lower rpms and now it never does that and is much smoother. I am really impressed with the Lubro-Moly. It only costs $5.09 at Napa here.

With the redline I saw a small difference right away but it didn't seem to last that long. All just my experience and others may have had different experiences. Bottom line is if I were to buy one of the above today it would be Lubro-moly for me.

Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Which fuel injector did you use that made this noticeable difference>

Spartuss, I have tried pretty much every FI cleaner you normally see on auto part store shelves over the years and with these I have noticed no positive effect (I used to own a car lot and have had a ton of cars so I went through a lot of this stuff):

Pyroil, STP, Gumout, Gunk, Prolong, and lots of other cheaper brands I don't remember (wal-mart?, carquest?, napa???).

I used a valvoline "synthetic" product a couple times in the past and it made a small difference.

I have used Techron extensively and have noticed definite improvements. One concern I have is that the improvements seem to be fairly short lived.

"Outlaw" for some reason has always worked well for me in a number of cars.

Lubro-moly Jectron I have tried only recently in the GTI and Toyota and it did make a big difference in both those cars and the benefits have lasted much longer than Techron IMO. The Toyota has 80k and it used to chug, chug, quite a bit at lower rpms and now it never does that and is much smoother. I am really impressed with the Lubro-Moly. It only costs $5.09 at Napa here.

With the redline I saw a small difference right away but it didn't seem to last that long. All just my experience and others may have had different experiences. Bottom line is if I were to buy one of the above today it would be Lubro-moly for me.

Not gumout. Gumout with regane.

I have seen no difference with Red Line on lower mileage Hondas.

On a high-mileage Plymouth Caravan with a 3.3L Mitsubishi V6 with 134K miles Gumout with Regane made a difference.

Redline not so much. Ditto for Techron.

Once again the brand DOESN'T matter. WHAT DOES is what detergent is in the bottle.

PEA is the best gasoline detergent you can find. Period. It is proven to be the most effective at removing carbon desposits while never leaving much of a trace of itself behind.
Other detergents are somewhat effective but not as much as PEA and they tend to leave significant traces of themselves behind which leads to buildup.

Known products to have PEA:

Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner

Techron Total Fuel System Cleaner

Redline.

I'm a big fan of Techron. I've seen it make a huge difference. However, I would not discount the latest Amsoil product - I haven't used it, but it seems to work well based on the experience of others.

Deftly Red line it has even the function of UCL.

I'm using it right now and I'm not even at half thank and the car goes much better.

I use it every OCI about 12.000 km.

Last edited:
How about this?

Ingredient C.A.S. No. % by Wt
==============================================
HYDROCARBON SOLVENT 64741-86-2 40 - 70
POLYETHER AMINE Trade Secret 30 - 60

This is neither Techron nor Redline SL-1

I will be trying this soon and I will update with the results.

- Vikas

RL SI-1 does worked. A few years ago I took out my inlet manifold, did some port and polish, seeing it quite dirty, i foolishly clean it with a strong doses of degreaser, not knowing that the degreaser will contaminate the injector.
After installing back, i took it for a drive. The car jerk and splutter under mid-heavy throttle, no choice i drove another 10mile jerking all the way back home. Once home, i pour a bottle of SI-1 which i happen to have in my garage, the next day while driving to work the jerking start to lessen. Convince that it maybe helping, i add another SI-1 into my next tank of fuel. The jerk is finally stop after that, problem solved.

I use Techron all the time in my 08" Chevy Impala SS and 01' Dodge Durango V-8 and have found it to be pretty good. I just don't know anything about Redline SL-1 except for the advetised additive of it having an "upper cylinder lube" mixed in the formula. Does it last for 3K??? Who knows. Perhaps one day I'll try it but until something comes out that's much better I'll stay with my tried n' true Techron,

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back