Chevron Supreme no longer at Costco

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Costco may have dumped or is in the process of dumping Chevron Supreme to make room for Kirkland oil.
Their website also says "warehouse only" ... Whereas you can order Mobil 1 or Kirkland.
I haven't seen it in the 3 Costco in our area. Now I see Kirkland oil.

Good thing I bought a bunch when they were $10 off. I like that oil.
Do you guys see any CS in your Costco?

None at my Costco or local Wally's. Something's up.. Could it be Chevron's ditching their signature brand after how many years? Can't believe they would.. it's been around since before dinosaurs!...‚

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Most cars call for Syn oil to use the oil life monitor, let alone turbo motors. So not much reason to carry it VS the syn kirkland oil.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Most cars call for Syn oil to use the oil life monitor, let alone turbo motors. So not much reason to carry it VS the syn kirkland oil.

Dunno, lot of pre 2000' made cars in my local Costco parking lot on any given day. And besides the 5w20 and 30 are a SB which are perfectly fine for NA, PI engines. Supreme 5/30 is easily the most used oil in all my cars over the years... never ever let me down. Kinda like QS, nothing fancy about it..just a good oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
None at my Costco or local Wally's. Something's up.. Could it be Chevron's ditching their signature brand after how many years? Can't believe they would.. it's been around since before dinosaurs!...‚

[Linked Image]

Cool pic. All you need to know is RPM
shocked2.gif

do you pour it through the slot?

You have to remember, to most people "oil is oil" and they likely wouldn't go for the Chevron over the Kirkland anyway. As hard as it may be to believe for members of this site. :p

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

[Linked Image]

Cool pic. All you need to know is RPM
shocked2.gif

do you pour it through the slot?

No, that's a replica piggy bank of the can but the artworks the same. I grew up in CA just 30mins from Chevron's HQ. Both Chevron and Unocal 76 were big in that era. In fact 76 was the first gas card I ever got. My father worked for ConocoPhillips for several years. He was a ChemE/ MBA. Prior to that he worked for Monsanto.

Here's the actual can from the 50's.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I too would like to know what is happening to Chevron Supreme. Seems to be on its way out at the local Costco,and has also disappeared at Fred Myers and Oreillys. I have used Chevron Supreme for years because Chevron's base oil plants are all group 2 (and will soon be upgraded to group 3 also). I hope that this is only a temporary transition to the new API category "SP" being released this coming May, but I am watching carefully since I don't like to mix brands or categories of motor oil except at complete oil changes.

Originally Posted by compratio10_5
I too would like to know what is happening to Chevron Supreme. Seems to be on its way out at the local Costco,and has also disappeared at Fred Myers and Oreillys. I have used Chevron Supreme for years because Chevron's base oil plants are all group 2 (and will soon be upgraded to group 3 also). I hope that this is only a temporary transition to the new API category "SP" being released this coming May, but I am watching carefully since I don't like to mix brands or categories of motor oil except at complete oil changes.

They make a grp2+ with a VI of 119, just shy of being a grp3 and also do mfg grp3, (also grp4 and 5 in a joint venture w/ConocoPhillips). Grp3 is made at both it's Richmond, CA and Pascagula, MS refineries.

So much going on with oil pricing right now maybe it has to do with blowing out inventory in preparation for the new ILSAC/API categories??

https://www.fuelsandlubes.com/chevron-produce-group-ii-group-iii-base-oils-u-s-refineries/

Last edited:
In the old days, Chevron always seemed like good stuff because it was from California and in the 60s all the cool stuff was from California.

You can go to the Chevron lubricants website and search for a "First Source" distributor near you. Holtzman oil near me is a first source dist. near me which means that they are certified by Chevron to bottle and sell their product line. I recently ordered a 55 gal drum of SN+ rated Chevron Supreme 5w30 for my shop. I'm sure pricing will very by location but I paid $430.65 delivered.

Chevron wants to make Havoline their consumer brand.

However, Costco still sells Chevron Supreme at their "business center" locations - but if Chevron wants Supreme to die a quiet death, Costco could replace it with Formula Shell or similar at those locations.

Originally Posted by nthach

However, Costco still sells Chevron Supreme at their "business center" locations - but if Chevron wants Supreme to die a quiet death, Costco could replace it with Formula Shell or similar at those locations.

I would bet on this.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by nthach

I would bet on this.

I didn't think about that angle. Could be it becomes only available from distributors in drums like the previous poster mentioned. That would suck..but I guess when you think about it, I bet you're essentially getting the same product in the Havoline 6qt boxes - dunno.🤔 When you visit Chevron's website, you kinda have to hunt for info about Supreme, it's not promoted like the Havoline or Delo lines are. It's not even listed under "Products"...but you can still find the PDS/SDS still using their built in search feature.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back