Chevron Supreme 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Nissan Frontier 2.4L KA24DE engine.
46,329 miles on the engine.
3891 miles on the oil.

Aluminum 2
Chromium 0
Iron 4
Copper 3
Lead 1
Tin 1
Moly 7
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 18
Boron 3
Silicon 7
Sodium 9
Calcium 1714
Magnesium 5
Phosphorous 783
Zinc 868
Barium 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210 degrees 57.8
Flashpoint 395
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3

TBN of 5.0

John

Very nice report, john. It helps us make a bit more sense of OutlawTitan's report. You have less calcium and magnesium than he but a TBN more than twice as high. Your oil sheared a bit more, though. I'm very impressed with this Chevron Supreme.

I calculate 9.7cst at 100c, so I don't think this oil sheared too much, doesn't it start out around 10.0?

Yes, I'd be happy with those results. For $1.08 per quart, this oil (with ~4,000 drain intervals) seems to do a great job.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

If all would go back a few pages there is the same engine using Amsoil for comparison of sorts.

This looks to be a very good oil and I think it might better than the Group III Syntec in the same grade FWIW.

Will we ever know what the best OTC 10/30 dino is? Probably not but with analysis coming in like this,we will know what some are capable of and the weak ones will be easily seen.

I am running a OTC dino as a test" resorted to a friends car,I am out of test cars
smile.gif
" but after it I would really like to see the Motorcraft 10/30 used in a good motor. Then pretty much at least my mind will be made up as to the best OTC 10/30 one can buy.
In this weeks Lube report Chevron spoke about the new Havoline,it's been tweeked. Would be interested in knowing more about it as well.

This certainly makes me feel like 4,000 interval is what I need to be using. Wondered why he had a trace of Barium and I did not. Could that be residual from a prior oil fill?

John,

Will you tell us who did your oil analysis? I suspect it was not Blackstone Lab because of your good TBN score.Or maybe the TBN was good because you kept the drain interval just under 4,000 miles?

Bill

The analysis was done by Blackstone Labs.

The previous fill was also Chevron Supreme 10W30. The fill before that at 37617 was the 5W30 Castrol that the dealer used.

I do think the oil sheared considerably. The valves and timing chain on this engine are nice and quiet immediately after an oil change, but get much louder as the oil degrades. It starts getting noticably louder after only 1000 miles.

I was planning on going to Mobil-1 to see if it would hold up any better.

johnk,

I think imo those 10/30's that are on the low side of the 30 wt to start with and meet the Energy Converving Spec are going to shear down a bit by design. Does Chevron make a 10/40 motor oil you could try? Doubt you would have much to lose by trying it. I posted this earlier in another thread.I think it would apply to group II's as well, again,,,,IMO
smile.gif

"If these various group III makers would put the adds in the 10/30's like they do the 5/50's I think it would be a better oil.The companies should make two 10/30s in the line,one for the energy conserving spec and one nice 11.5 -12.0 or so VI with some good additives."

Yep, Chevron makes the same Supreme oil in 10W40. It's 5W30 which is the more difficult stuff to get ... at least around here.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Yep, Chevron makes the same Supreme oil in 10W40. It's 5W30 which is the more difficult stuff to get ... at least around here.

--- Bror Jace

You're not the only one Bror!! The only place that carries it here is at Walmart. Every single time that I go, the 5W30 slots are empty, so I grab the 5 qt. jug of Castrol GTX
dunno.gif
Maybe before next oil change I can find some
grin.gif
-Joe

FYI, I think the Kragen ad in this Sunday's LA times said you could get Chevron Supreme for $0.59/quart after rebate if you buy a case.

rolleyes.gif
Since I have the same engine in my truck and from my eyes this report looks great would my SCHAEFFER Moly E.P. Oil Treatment help with the Sheering.I too have a case of Chevron Supream 10/30 from Costco I planned on useing as my Auto RX goes to compleation. I would wait till the first change after the Rinse. My truck has used Castrol Syntec for the life of the truck so with 140000 mi I want whats best following a oil leak.I have AMSOIL 10/30 5/30 SYNERGYN 3/30 M1 10/30 and SCHAFFER 10/30.
dunno.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
gr_eek2.gif
spaz.gif

According to Chevron's data sheet this starts out as cSt at 100°C = 10.8. Shearing down to 9.7 is a drop of about 10%, assuming this is a linear scale. From eyeballing the chart this looks like it is either on the very thin end of a 30 weight or at the very top of the 20 weight spec.

Considering the wear numbers this bargain priced oil seems to have done a fine job.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back