Chevron Delo 15W40 CK4/SN still current?

I noticed one bottle of Delo 15W40 synthetic (I think), CK-4 / SN, on the shelf at Walmart. I had the impression from reading some things on here that HDEO 15W40 oils will no longer have the SN (or Sx?) rating, is that wrong? I would have bought it but I need more than 1 gallon. I've used that oil before (before they changed to CK rating). This is for a gas engine car btw.

They may switch to SP but I can't be sure that api s ratings are not allowed anymore on hdeo's. Some gas oils can have a better anti wear pack in them actually. I'd look into Quaker state Euro 5w-40. If not I'd say Mobil delvac is usually your best bet. Great price for a syn blend. I don't believe delo comes in synthetic just conventional and syn blend. I believe the Mobil delvac extreme and t6 are the only on shelf full synthetic diesel oils.

They may switch to SP but I can't be sure that api s ratings are not allowed anymore on hdeo's. Some gas oils can have a better anti wear pack in them actually. I'd look into Quaker state Euro 5w-40. If not I'd say Mobil delvac is usually your best bet. Great price for a syn blend. I don't believe delo comes in synthetic just conventional and syn blend. I believe the Mobil delvac extreme and t6 are the only on shelf full synthetic diesel oils.
Chevron's PCMO synthetics may be found under their Havoline label.

Delo comes in full synthetic 5W30 and 5W40, but they do not have a full synthetic 15W40, there best offerings are syn-blend in 10W30 and 15W40, even the new 600ADF stuff is only syn blend. Delvac extreme is up on the CK-4 limit for phosphorous and is probably not the best thing to be putting in a gas engine with a catalyst. All the dual rated Delo oils are less than 800ppm of phosphorous, Rotella T6 multivehicle should be as well, Delvac 1300 super is below the 800ppm limit too.

Delo comes in full synthetic 5W30 and 5W40, but they do not have a full synthetic 15W40, there best offerings are syn-blend in 10W30 and 15W40, even the new 600ADF stuff is only syn blend. Delvac extreme is up on the CK-4 limit for phosphorous and is probably not the best thing to be putting in a gas engine with a catalyst. All the dual rated Delo oils are less than 800ppm of phosphorous, Rotella T6 multivehicle should be as well, Delvac 1300 super is below the 800ppm limit too.
Thanks. Need to brush up on the hdeos I've been focused more on gas oils these days.

And I do know of the delo xsp synthetic but I usually refer to Walmart when talking about "on shelf" and at Walmart I only see t6 and delvac extreme as the only full syn diesels. I know Chevron makes full syns but aren't on shelf most of the time. A bit more rare and they're almost pointless as they cost the same as t6 which not only is readily available a Walmart but is only CK rated and not dual rated which arguably is better for a diesel. For a gas it's fine but then again a gas engine would be happy enough with a Euro 5w-40 like Quaker state euro 5w-40 which is a good bargain.

Last edited:
Back