Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 CK4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been researching CK4 rated conventional HDEOs on this website, and I have read many informative postings. As a result, I have come to realize that there are many good conventional HDEOs available in the marketplace.

In my area, CK4 conventional HDEO from the big three, Delo, Delvac, and Rotella, is readily available. Additionally, each company, from time to time, provides rebates making overall pricing comparable between the brands with a slight pricing edge to Mobil Delvac. I am strongly considering Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 CK4 because of its positive reputation from its previous CJ4 formulation.

However, I understand the current Mobil Delvac 1300 Super only contains 800 PPM of phosphorus - a requirement to meet the dual CK4/SN API rating. I have further read that the phosphorus reduction in HDEO concerns many here. In doing additional research on Mobil Delvac 1300 Super, I have checked the UOA postings on this website hoping to find actual test results from users that have actual experience with this oil. Unfortunately, I can only find one posting from a light-duty diesel engine owner, and the oil was drained early in order to do a winter fill of lower viscosity oil. So, the wear data from that analysis provided limited wear related information.

With that said, I would appreciate feedback from those of you that have used CK4 Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40:

• Any concerns or evidence about the phosphorus reduction affecting wear protection for this oil?
• How has this oil performed for you?
• Would you continue to use the oil?
• Any UOAs for this oil? (Please post in the UOA section on this website).
• Would you recommend Mobil Delvac 1300 Super?

I wish I could help, but I'm still working on my stash of 20+ gallons of CI-4 Plus and CJ-4 I had stashed.

What vehicle or engine are you using it in? And what type of use does that vehicle or engine get?

Everything I have read indicates that CK-4 offers superior wear protection when compared to CJ-4, and that's good enough for me. How they get there is of little consequence.

I'd say that if a 15W-40 HDEO is what you need, then Delvac would be a fine choice.

Originally Posted By: rileyc
I have been researching CK4 rated conventional HDEOs on this website, and I have read many informative postings. As a result, I have come to realize that there are many good conventional HDEOs available in the marketplace.

In my area, CK4 conventional HDEO from the big three, Delo, Delvac, and Rotella, is readily available. Additionally, each company, from time to time, provides rebates making overall pricing comparable between the brands with a slight pricing edge to Mobil Delvac. I am strongly considering Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 CK4 because of its positive reputation from its previous CJ4 formulation.

However, I understand the current Mobil Delvac 1300 Super only contains 800 PPM of phosphorus - a requirement to meet the dual CK4/SN API rating. I have further read that the phosphorus reduction in HDEO concerns many here. In doing additional research on Mobil Delvac 1300 Super, I have checked the UOA postings on this website hoping to find actual test results from users that have actual experience with this oil. Unfortunately, I can only find one posting from a light-duty diesel engine owner, and the oil was drained early in order to do a winter fill of lower viscosity oil. So, the wear data from that analysis provided limited wear related information.

With that said, I would appreciate feedback from those of you that have used CK4 Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40:

• Any concerns or evidence about the phosphorus reduction affecting wear protection for this oil?
• How has this oil performed for you?
• Would you continue to use the oil?
• Any UOAs for this oil? (Please post in the UOA section on this website).
• Would you recommend Mobil Delvac 1300 Super?

Delvac http://pqiadata.org/Mobil_Delvac_15W40_4192017.html

Rotella http://pqiadata.org/Shell_Rotella_T4_15W40_4192017.html

Delo http://pqiadata.org/Chevron_Delo_15W40_4192017.html

IMHO the add pack to Rotella is very nice with healthy doses of detergents and anti-wear.

Rotella meets alot more specs such as JASO so i just stick with it in my past diesels/OPE/Generator and toys.

I would rather go by VOAs than UOAs..

If u can save $5 a gallon i would say go for any of them..they will all do their job as intended.

With all being equal i think Rotella is the top dog in conventional HDEOS.

Only my opinion, but I'd personally use CK4 Mobil Delvac Super 1300, Delo 400, Rotella T4, and any other CK4 oil made by the major companies, with confidence. As long as the oil meets the engine manufacturer's requirements, in my opinion, you're golden.

By and large, the majority of Owner Operator Truck Drivers I talk to are brand loyal to either Rotella or Delvac conventional oils. I used both CJ4 and CK4 Delvac 1300 and CK4 Delo 400, for better than 150,000 miles each, in my Detroit Diesel motor, and my UOAs showed no difference in wear between brands.

Buy whichever is cheapest and is easiest to find, in my opinion.

And for what it's worth, I've switched to Conoco Phillips HDEOs because I can buy them at a lower price in bulk than I can get any of the big three brands by the gallon at Walmart.

In reviewing the current CK4/SN and CK4 only 15W40 conventional HDEOs, it appears that there are two (2) formulating camps within the oil manufacturing industry: those using 800 PPM of phosphorus, and those using greater than or equal to 1,000 PPM of phosphorus. The 800 PPM formulation for the dual CK4/SN conventional 15W40 appear to be limited to Mobil Delvac 1300 Super and Chevron Delo 400 SDE. The majority of HDEO formulators are using 1,000 PPM of phosphorus in their CK4 only 15W40 formulations.

The previous HDEO conventional oil formulations for both Delvac and Delo have been know to provide very good performance based upon the multitude of positive user reviews. However, an interesting question is raised: what do Mobil and Chevron know/do that enables them to provide CK4/SN conventional HDEO with lower phosphorus levels whereas the majority of oil formulators have elected to stay with higher phosphorus levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back