Single Data Point: CK-4 destroys the flat tappet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
So "CC" in a 1985 Corolla manual is an error and an artefact rather than a recommendation.

If Toyota, the most meticulous car manufacturer in the world by far makes such errors, you can trash all owner's manuals when you by a car. Toyota's documentation usually has scripture accuracy.

Why is it an error? The diesel version of my car (1C-LC engine) recommends SF/CC and the gasoline version (4A-LC engine) recommends SF or SF/CC.

CYwopbw0BGjjzudxH9IBRixZs6RtpopBdPA2O6mk3H87CRFNGe8segrRo4EqMglCZG73gus8RBTdjMbfFnWoSmGHhJvDw35-tIUFMmEi5ALUIhTAuy7bbA-lliK36IVDlFXwK7nBmPLDjeJtgpWWJAwRnHcorDUnjssgPZYo3K0JlUJu4k582_-1JcwGY9EeJbiY_g-I0QuKbDNcyCSD7LkIrOPh2wfwc8ZzI_ZS-BspD0MYJZxWYbXWewTnKbel45schxlqnqRrIu1OuTyJoKqpKibFKcL-tLRqRW5dgQM6flvUw0G2918QxJVgIRYqf5dRxVAP-0ntwVXSHezyqOOEXPBDLVzeRq0BYLDtSUgUnAI5ikDssLf5HxE3UDMFji6Qb82hTvdiqpHe-FH0YJ5Qin63fIBzKj2RP4MApSX-YpaiLSRzA1hbR5qVx5PwICm6JmPryWTwUd-bGehBb9ElUMyeo96Q7alKtQ6DVI0QFS8jgbk87ij8lomVI5qh_w_msfO3ugiW7t2DYlBljQoKTjb5pLvRYydqkXpMBh0fXd9Cpy_nJxH0alU3aembgE4BIuVAaJRW7wLXLhMGXHKWwOxR_6H6poy4nE62=w1601-h901-no

The using "SF/CC" to say that manufacturers were even remotely recommending dual rated oils in their engines is laughable (but not unexpected in this line of threads).

In the U.S., most common automobile oils (10W30, 10w40,30W, etc.) sitting on the shelf were dual rated up until 1995. In 1996 I bought my favorite NAPA 10w30 "car" oil for our Kubota tractor and I noticed the new carton stated "for use in gasoline engines only". Huh??? I gave Valvolene a call and asked if this was just a labeling change or was it a formulation change. I was told that 1995 federal regulations required a reduction in automotive additive levels and the new oils were no longer suitable for diesel use. At that time, it was difficult, maybe impossible to find the recommended 10W30 diesel oil Kubota recommended and the dealers told us to just use 15W40 HDEO.

CF is still on oil labels, although it's not even got a valid test anymore.

SF was obsolete in 1988,
CE was obsolete in 1983.

So "CC" in a 1985 Corolla manual is an error and an artefact rather than a recommendation.

As an aside, I have bottles in the garage that are dated, and of ILSAC viscosity, that have a CC/CD or something after the "S" rating. In the diesels of the day, my dad never bought such a product to use in the actual diesels of the day. He would buy a purposed HDEO from the distributor. I can't think that running QS 10w-30 in a Case 1270 would have been a good idea, despite having CC or CD on the bottle.

For the benefit of other readers in the thread, since Shannow certainly already knows this, Doug Hillary had told some of the history of how these lubes with a nominal diesel spec were rather problematic.

That thread is 455 days old. It is before CK oils really got going. It's prolly another bad lifter/soft cam saga ...

He does not say who's cam, who's lifters ... Spring pressures are up there if a small block. Not so crazy high if a big block, but still impressive for flat tappet. But does not say which engine either ...

Also does not go down the list of break-in procedures? So I have no idea what they are really doing ...

Scott's a good guy so I'll take his word, but why would he be breaking a serious ca/lifter combo on Rotella ... Those spring pressures call for something much more robust.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back