6.7 Cummins oil recommendations

Before you think to yourself "oh great, another what oil is best thread" I want to mention that this isn't entirely one of those threads.

I have a friend with a 2011 Ram 2500 cummins, and she's spending about $150 on oil changes. She does her own oil changes, and that's her cost in parts! She said she runs Royal purple 5w40 and the RP oil filter. I cant for the life of me find a diesel rated RP 5w40, just a 15w40 so I'm wondering if she's running the gasoline engine rated oil in her truck. I gently mentioned how motor oil is a "hobby" of mine and that we can cut her costs down most likely. It's been a couple of months since and she finally inquired about it. From what I've gathered the manufacturer oil spec is two parts because of their useage of the word and, "Chrysler Materials Standard MS10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required". From what I can find the only oil that has the MS10902 certification is valvoline premium blue, probably because it's the only oil endorsed by Cummins. I'm thinking we can just brush that cert. under the rug and call it politics and really just go with the API CJ-4 rating.

Now, the CJ-4 rating seems to be outdated, with the latest being CK-4. Seems like a lot of people are bitching about the new CK-4 since ZDDP levels were cut similar to what happened with gas oils with the SN rating. From what I've read this seems to have been a change to address DPF clogging, something her truck has so this may be beneficial to her long term. I'm not a diesel guy, but based on my experiences despite people complaining about ZDDP reduction in gas oils, UOA samples show good wear on modern engines so I'm thinking the same applies here and it's not some conspiracy to blow up your engine.

The truck sees 2-3 short drives a week, sits the rest of the time, and is used for towing ~8000lbs about once a month through various types of terrain. Sometimes it's flat highways, other times it's through the mountains of West Virginia. I'm thinking any 5w40 CK-4 oil will do, preferably the cheapest one, and to lower the OCI from 7500mi to 5000mi. Especially given the combination of short driving and sitting for long periods of time, as well as having read some posts about fuel dilution issues with the 6.7 motors.

I'm guessing you cant go wrong with either Valvoline Premium Blue, Rotella T6, M1 turbo truck, M1 Delvac, or Delo. Coincidentally VPB is the cheapest of them all on amazon coming to a total of $54.77 for 3 gallons. Perhaps the Cummins logo on the bottles will persuade her to switch:ROFLMAO:

Any thoughts? Again, I'm not a diesel guy but I put in the research and think I have taken a logical approach though I may have missed something.

I will take recommendations on oil filters though since I know absolutely nothing about them and kind of laugh a bit at people who take them apart. Being a toyota guy who runs $3 OEM filters I was thinking we'd order a bunch of Denso 1502051 oil filters from Rockauto since they are $5.70 a pop, we're not doing extended drains, and I personally believe that Denso makes decent stuff(some bias here). Or is it worth getting the "premium" filters such as the Wix XP, Fram tough Guard, or Bosch Distance Plus?

Last edited:
Stick with a name brand quality filter. Its more of a CYA thing in my opinion. Wix, Donaldson, Fleetguard, Baldwin and all very good options. Check with your local heavy truck dealership and you’ll likely find the best price on filters. I am a Schaeffer guy myself so I will recommend their 5w40 or 15w40 but you won’t go wrong with anything you listed. These engines aren’t particularly hard on oil and her use isn’t what I would call severe either. For transparency I will tell you that I sold parts at a Peterbilt dealership that carried Baldwin filters and we saw a lot of 6.7 engines for maintenance mainly as they’re used extensively in the medium duty truck market. They always got a basic 15w40 that we sourced in bulk from a local oil distributor.

You are correct, there is no best oil anymore. There is however personnel preferences. As far as filters go, Wix, Fram ultra, Fleetguard, Donaldson, Molbil1 filters are all good. Any of the oils you mentioned are excellent choices, as is Walmart's Supertech. 5w40 or 15w40 will work just fine. If you were to search the oil sample results in this forum, you will find what people are using and how the oils performed. There is even a filter section where they are cut open, you can see build quality of them. Synthetic vs conventional has been debated since the beginning so the values for each are prominent. Hope this helps some but you and her have some research to do.

My pops has an 09 2500 with the Cummins. Rarely driven. Has 35k ish on the odometer last I looked.

I put in T6 a5w40nd a Mopar filter annually. Get both from Walmart.

Any name brand oil that meets the specs and viscosities will be fine. Fot the filter Fleetgardvvwould be the best filter choice Don't forget the Air filter quality and seal ,, that would be the rookie move to avoid at all costs.

Just about every name brand oil carries the CES20086 (ck4) which is what you want. If climate dictates, just get a plain Jane 15w40. I found that the hastings LF608 and its red Baldwin cousin, the BT7349, are well built, have a micron rating or beta or whatever it might be called that is very close to the Fleetguard LF16035 but half the price. Up here the LF16035 is around 22 bucks on sale and the others run 9.

Unless she has continual cold starts with no block heater, 15w40 is fine. Every one gets all worked up on cold starts and seems to need 0 or 5w40. My rancher neighbor runs two 5.9's, I think 2004 and a 2006. They are parked outside, have high miles and see hard use. Somehow they have yet to blow up on a diet of cheap 15w40.

This is an uncomplicated engine and it can have an uncomplicated answer.

Before you think to yourself "oh great, another what oil is best thread" I want to mention that this isn't entirely one of those threads.

I have a friend with a 2011 Ram 2500 cummins, and she's spending about $150 on oil changes. She does her own oil changes, and that's her cost in parts! She said she runs Royal purple 5w40 and the RP oil filter. I cant for the life of me find a diesel rated RP 5w40, just a 15w40 so I'm wondering if she's running the gasoline engine rated oil in her truck. I gently mentioned how motor oil is a "hobby" of mine and that we can cut her costs down most likely. It's been a couple of months since and she finally inquired about it. From what I've gathered the manufacturer oil spec is two parts because of their useage of the word and, "Chrysler Materials Standard MS10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required". From what I can find the only oil that has the MS10902 certification is valvoline premium blue, probably because it's the only oil endorsed by Cummins. I'm thinking we can just brush that cert. under the rug and call it politics and really just go with the API CJ-4 rating.

Now, the CJ-4 rating seems to be outdated, with the latest being CK-4. Seems like a lot of people are bitching about the new CK-4 since ZDDP levels were cut similar to what happened with gas oils with the SN rating. From what I've read this seems to have been a change to address DPF clogging, something her truck has so this may be beneficial to her long term. I'm not a diesel guy, but based on my experiences despite people complaining about ZDDP reduction in gas oils, UOA samples show good wear on modern engines so I'm thinking the same applies here and it's not some conspiracy to blow up your engine.

The truck sees 2-3 short drives a week, sits the rest of the time, and is used for towing ~8000lbs about once a month through various types of terrain. Sometimes it's flat highways, other times it's through the mountains of West Virginia. I'm thinking any 5w40 CK-4 oil will do, preferably the cheapest one, and to lower the OCI from 7500mi to 5000mi. Especially given the combination of short driving and sitting for long periods of time, as well as having read some posts about fuel dilution issues with the 6.7 motors.

I'm guessing you cant go wrong with either Valvoline Premium Blue, Rotella T6, M1 turbo truck, M1 Delvac, or Delo. Coincidentally VPB is the cheapest of them all on amazon coming to a total of $54.77 for 3 gallons. Perhaps the Cummins logo on the bottles will persuade her to switch:ROFLMAO:

Any thoughts? Again, I'm not a diesel guy but I put in the research and think I have taken a logical approach though I may have missed something.

I will take recommendations on oil filters though since I know absolutely nothing about them and kind of laugh a bit at people who take them apart. Being a toyota guy who runs $3 OEM filters I was thinking we'd order a bunch of Denso 1502051 oil filters from Rockauto since they are $5.70 a pop, we're not doing extended drains, and I personally believe that Denso makes decent stuff(some bias here). Or is it worth getting the "premium" filters such as the Wix XP, Fram tough Guard, or Bosch Distance Plus?
Filter wise go with the Donaldson if you want one of the best spin on filters, specs are nutz with it 99% efficiency at 20 microns or 15 microns I believe, although I wouldnt be worried going with a wix or the other name brands here since its a 5k oci. Also for the air filter the best ones are the thick mopar/wix filters they have the best efficiency ratings and hold the most junk before needing to be replaced. Oil wise go with what others put above, although if vpb is the cheapest compared to the rest and checks all the boxes I'd pull the trigger on it

The one you like that meets Cummins 20086
Chevron Delo etc...

As far as filter - Fram Ultra has the highest efficiency rated media AFAIK.

FWIW I use Mobil Delvac 15W40 in my 2012 with the Mopar filter. I just bought some Fleetguard LF16035's to try on my next few OCI's. Like your friend my truck is used for short trips of about 20 miles per day and used to tow our 11K travel trailer in the summer.

A little history... I bought my truck in 2016 and immediately put in Mobil Delvac 5W40 ESP. I started doing oil samples and noticed a few things. Due to the short trips and the emissions system I was seeing fuel dilution and shearing in the oil. I also had high iron, but that I associated to the new short block in the truck. I have always followed the OCI in the EVIC on the truck. In Spring 2019 I switched to Mobil Delvac 15W40. This has cut down on the shearing and my wear numbers are getting better with break-in. I have posted a few sample reports on the forum if you go look.

I buy my oil at the local farm supply store Farm & Fleet. It is usually
Just my $0.02

Back