Which oil

I’m approaching my first, to me oil change on my 2018 Cummins. I’m trying to decide between the Valvoline Premium Blue and the Shell Rotella T5 or T6, but I’ve heard these trucks don’t benefit from using synthetic oils.
Also is the standard Mopar oil filter really a good filter to use?
This truck rarely gets worked hard. It just gets a lot of highway miles put on it. I try to not idle more than required also.
Please help me on these matters.

Wont matter. I'm a fleet mechanic and the yard shifter trucks I work on have a lower output 6.7 Cummins that move semi trailers around the hubs. The engines go 30K+ hours on bulk Delo 15W40.

As long as the oil is API CK4 rated and is approved for Cummins CES-20086, you are good to go.
And while some people say that synthetic oil is not required for the ISB Cummins, it will definitely not hurt anything. I use 5-40 synthetic in my 22’ model with good results so far.
The Mopar filter is a rebranded LF 3972 FleetGuard oil filter. The LF 16035 is the upgraded Stratapore version that is more efficient at reducing smaller particles in the oil. A lot of people use the standard filter and have zero issues.

Last edited:
I will add that my 18’ I had liked the Mobil Delvac Extreme. It just seemed to be smoother and quieter with it.

I’m approaching my first, to me oil change on my 2018 Cummins. I’m trying to decide between the Valvoline Premium Blue and the Shell Rotella T5 or T6, but I’ve heard these trucks don’t benefit from using synthetic oils.
Also is the standard Mopar oil filter really a good filter to use?
This truck rarely gets worked hard. It just gets a lot of highway miles put on it. I try to not idle more than required also.
Please help me on these matters.
FWIW I use Semi-synthetic Mystik JT8 15w40 in my Ram currently with Fleetguard LF16035 filters. I don't drive in 0F or colder so 15w40 works for me. The Mopar filters are also made by Fleetguard and they are good filters IMO. I have used them in the past. I have run Mobil Delvac 1300 as well. Again these things aren't fussy. Pick a lower cost oil that meets the spec and run it. When my stash of Mystik is gone I'll likely look at Super Tech.

Fuel filters are crucial to replace on these things! Use Fleetguard on your under hood one and I think it is Parker on the rear one.

Just my $0.02

As long as the oil is API CK4 rated and is approved for Cummins CES-20086, you are good to go.
And while some people say that synthetic oil is not required for the ISB Cummins, it will definitely not hurt anything. I use 5-40 synthetic in my 22’ model with good results so far.
The Mopar filter is a rebranded LF 3972 FleetGuard oil filter. The LF 16035 is the upgraded Stratapore version that is more efficient at reducing smaller particles in the oil. A lot of people use the standard filter and have zero issues.
I knew about the CK4 rating but didn’t know about the CES-20086.
My truck came with the owners manual but not the diesel supplement book.

I knew about the CK4 rating but didn’t know about the CES-20086.
My truck came with the owners manual but not the diesel supplement book.
You can pull it up online. They also list MS-10902 as a Ram oil spec but according to Mobil that’s just the CJ oil rating and has been superseded by CK4. As TNT stated, these engines are not particular about what oil you run as long as it meets the requirements. What kind of climate are you located in?

You can pull it up online. They also list MS-10902 as a Ram oil spec but according to Mobil that’s just the CJ oil rating and has been superseded by CK4. As TNT stated, these engines are not particular about what oil you run as long as it meets the requirements. What kind of climate are you located in?
I live in SE Texas. Our temps can get into the 30’s during the winter and 90’s for the summer.

That’s about like it is here. Any 15-40 that has the specs will work fine. Super Tech (Warren) just introduced a synthetic 15-40 that looks really good according to the VOA posted for it.

Run whatever meets the Cummins spec at whatever viscosity you feel like. These engines have no care.

My 2017 has survived the cold prairies foe 7 years now on a steady diet of 30 weight. Plenty frigid starts, long idle times amd somw decent towing in the summer heat. 10w30 synthetic, conventional and even tried semi synthetic 5w30. The only issue I noted was some oil consumption with the 5w30. Maybe one litre in a full 24,000km.

I second the use of quality fuel filters. Still no substitute for the OE Fleetguard FS53000 underhood, final fuel filter. The OE rear is made by Racor, which is under the same umbrella as Baldwin and Hastings. From my conversations with Baldwin/Hastings several years back, the rear filter is exactly the same whether it says Mopar, Racor, Baldwin, Hastings and very likely Fleetguard.

Wont matter. I'm a fleet mechanic and the yard shifter trucks I work on have a lower output 6.7 Cummins that move semi trailers around the hubs. The engines go 30K+ hours on bulk Delo 15W40.
What hour interval do you guys use?

Back