Changing oil brands at 160k

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did you change to? I also don't know what smell you guys are talking about. I've been using Delo and the previous owner used Delo. Haven't tried Rotella yet but it's cheaper so I might have to switch. I'm thinking about going to 1/2 Rotella synthetic actually.

I changed from Rotella to Premium Blue. The smell comes from Rotella's zinc heavy additive package. I have heard that Delo does not smell either. BTW, Rotella is about a dime more than Delo. Everyone I know runs Rotella, and I am the only one that has the smell, so I don't know what to tell you about how it chose me.

Last edited:
I have two ambulances with 100k and 190K on them. We use whatever diesel oil we want. 15w-40 HDEO is 15w-40 HDEO. We only go about 6k between changes, so it probably doesn't matter.

2 cents

Originally Posted By: scottm1
I have no clue what this smell is you guys are refering to. I have a 5.9 Cummins Diesel that I use Rotella 15W40 in, and I really don't know what this smell is you're talking about. Is it the smell from the exhaust, or do you smell it only if you take off the oil filler cap and sniff in the oil filler tube???

The smell comes from the crankcase breather tube that is on the drivers side of the engine. My truck had the smell when new with the Valvoline in it. I changed it out to Schaeffers at 800 miles & the smell went away & haven't had it since.

I have also read about the "Rotella smell" from some Rotella users. I've used Rotella 15w40 for a while now in my 2002 F350 7.3 Powerstroke. When I was getting ready to pour the Rotella into my engine's oil fill, I smelled the jug and the Rotella did have a weird smell to it. The MC never had that weird smell? I guess it's the nature of the beast as they say. I never get the Rotella smell inside of my truck, guess I'm lucky.I'm not sure which of the top three sellers are better (Rotella, Delo or Delvac)although it seems Rotella is the easiest to find.

I use rotella 5w40 synthetic all year round. does have a slightly weird smell. so last change I also dumped in a bottle of stetson cologne! man, that is now one sweet smellin' truck! a real hit with the ladies.........

Originally Posted By: Arkapigdiesel
Rotella's smell that comes out of the PCV tube is due to the add pack that Rotella uses. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's ZDDP.

That's it

Originally Posted By: jduramax
I use rotella 5w40 synthetic all year round. does have a slightly weird smell. so last change I also dumped in a bottle of stetson cologne! man, that is now one sweet smellin' truck! a real hit with the ladies.........

That's got to be one of the funniest things in regards to an oil change PCV smell that I've heard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back