Chevron 10w-40, 97 Nissan Maxima, 3000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share a UOA. Been browsing this forum for years and finally got a UOA done on my 21 year old Maxima.

About the oil used: Typical 10w-40 Api SN Chevron Supreme. Car has mostly seem this and Pennzoil for most of its life.

This Maxima has 246xxx miles, original engine even with the original chain guides and tensioners. Oil has USUALLY been changed every 3k miles. Also, since ive owned the car since 194xxx miles...I have used mostly Fram Tough Guard oil filters as well as a 10w-40 oil.

Driving conditions on this oil run were somewhat severe. One 60 mile mountain climb, 100 degree weather running at 3500rpm 4000rpm. Mostly short trip city driving under 20 miles long, commute has lots of hills and im usually running the engine in 3rd gear. With AC running most of the time. Car still has its original automatic which works flawlessly.

For 246k miles I am extremely impressed with this car and this oil report. Its known that the nissan vq engine can be hard on oil but this oil held. The TBN was starting to get somewhat low but thats fine with me. I wont ever let my oil get past 3k anyway.

Last edited:
Looking at the VOA of Chevron it already comes with 2 ppm AL so there is actually 0 ppm of aluminum.
smile.gif

I used to buy 10w40 Pennzoil...then Walmart stopped carrying it. For a while they were stocking Chevron 10w40...so I went with that. They no longer will be carrying the Chevron. Unfortunately I wont be able to run it anymore. Unless I went with 10-30 of course.

So now i've settled on Smitty's SuperS Synthetic blend at Kmart...and guess what....they are clearing all 10w-40 out. I am running the SuperS now at only $2 per quart lol. One day I might have to settle with Mobil 1 HM 10w-40.

Last edited:
That’s a good generation of Maxima, especially if you can find it with the 5-speed. I did prefer the older ones, though (89-95).

That looks like a stout oil. Good shots of moly & boron, and plenty of Ca to keep dirt in suspension. And it’s doing a good job for you.

Looks like your engine wear has “settled down”. Bet you won’t see much wear for quite a while longer.

Thanks,

Well honestly I thought the Calcium was a little low and the main gripe ive had on Chevron are those lower Zinc numbers. These are even slightly lower then the VOA.

But hey ive switched to SuperS (sears closing store so good deals) and everyone agrees Chevron performs well regardless. Moly must make up for the Zinc?. The zinc is suppose to be higher in this one.

But none of this matters. Im happy. And I love changing oil.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Welcome fellow 10W40 user.
Chevron make a good oil and that generation Nissan is very strong. Together you have no problems.

Yep zinc is a bit low (687 ppm) but that is a good dose of Moly (122 ppm) your wear iron is only 2ppm in 3k miles, so you have nothing to worry about there.

TBN at 3.3 and a KV100 of 13.3 cSt means you can keep going if you want to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back