Cherokee 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Seeing this post broke my heart. We have a Jeep identical to this one and, at the time of the head-on collision that totalled it, it had 378,218 miles on it. I praise Castrol GTX 10w30 for getting it there and it was still running strong though it did leak oil. I really wanted to see how far it would go.

As clean as that Jeep is and with only 156K on it, you've got an incredible beater.

David

Hello, I had to address you both. Sis has a 1999 XJ 4.0 w/NP242 4 door (had a 1988 XJ 4.0 w/NP242 2 door). Clean and silent using QS 10-30 jug dino. Lotsa miles. Check your ignition parts at that mileage as well. Enjoy it.
Friend's son runs a 1996 Explorer he got for free @~100K. Needed a radiator, and a control arm. I can't believe how good and strong it is. Either would serve you well. The Explorer takes highway runs a little better-Ford, you know. The Cherokee's running gear is the stuff of legend, however. Do like dreama-buy in Florida! HNY Kira

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about filters. The standard filter is a Puro L14670 size. However, the larger Puro L30001 (Motorcraft FL-1A) fits just fine, and at least for the purolators, is the same price.

As discussed in this thread, the L30001/PL30001 is a great filter to use on a 4.0 in a Cherokee. Over 350 sq. inches of surface area (at least for the Pure One PL30001 version), and it has the same bypass pressure, thread pitch, gasket diameter, etc. as the stock PL14670. It lets you use a full 6-quart fill on the 4.0, including filter.

Yup. Mom's 4.0 with the PL30001 usually takes 6 - 6.25 quarts to get it to the full mark.

Unfortunately, my Jeep doesn't have enough space for the big filter, so I'm stuck with the stock size.

Another echo of some comments above:

I'd definitely use the Valvoline MaxLife.
The NV 242 Selec-Trac transfer case with the "Full Time" position is a very desireable find.

But...Later models of that transfer case require Mopar ATF+4. I'd be very hesitant to put anything else in there. "Sticking" may occur, meaning that when shifting from 4Full Time to 2H it may stick in 4Part Time, not good on pavement.

Originally Posted By: number_41
Another echo of some comments above:

I'd definitely use the Valvoline MaxLife.
The NV 242 Selec-Trac transfer case with the "Full Time" position is a very desireable find.

But...Later models of that transfer case require Mopar ATF+4. I'd be very hesitant to put anything else in there. "Sticking" may occur, meaning that when shifting from 4Full Time to 2H it may stick in 4Part Time, not good on pavement.

My 2000 Cherokee Limited had that transfer case (had full and part time 4wd modes)...best thing out there. However - it DID NOT call for Mopar fluid....just regular dexron. I ran Mobil 1 trans fluid in it w/out issues.

Last edited:
This'll last you a long time, expect 250k at least. Change all fluids as previously suggested.

Oil - the older 4.0's like 10w30. With a leaky seal, it could be a bad seal or, if oil changes weren't done often, a bit of buildup around the seal. I'd try an ARX treatment followed by some synthetic oil, and see how the leak does.

Nice Beater!! The 4.0L 6cyl is a tank of a motor, I would use a high mileage 10w-30 oil in the crankcase as that is what is OE spec for it . If you want to do synthetic to lengthen out the oci's Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 is a very thick 30 weight with a nice strong SL add pack that should easily be good for 7,500 miles and would perform excellent in a freezing new england cold start as well as clean the motor out. As far as transfer case goes drain the old out and put a quart and a half of ATF+4 in it and it will last you 50K miles easy. Dont forget your axle fluids fill both with 2quarts of synthetic 75w-90 gear oil , good for at least 60K miles. Often overlooked is the cooling system give it a good drain,flush and fill and while your doing that replace the thermostat with a Mopar OEM T-stat, they just work better than aftermarket they might cost 2-3 dollars more but you know it will work. I have done all of the above on my Durango and in my years in WV have never had a problem in winter conditions, good luck to you and your beater.

You got absolutely lucky with that 96 Cherokee, pat yourself on the back for a great find. I own a 2001 XJ and I truly enjoy getting in it and driving it everyday. Not one major repair, now @ 130K. But of course I am a BITOG'r so I tend to it better than average and with that it runs like brand new. I run PennUltra with a mix of oil filter choices usually: royal purple/bosch distance plus/K&N. Absolutely love the NP242, it takes Dex II+ / Mercon.

TTFN

Just an FYI to all those who have pointed out that the NP 242 (and NP 231 for that matter) take Dexron/Mercon...

They were built when Dexron III was the norm, and yes they were origally spec'd for Dexron III. Today you can probably get away with Dexron V in them, but remember it is a thinner viscosity fluid than Dexron III. The closest thing still currently being spec'd for new vehicles is actually ATF+4. The transfer case doesn't care squat about the friction modifiers for torque convertor clutches that are included in ATF+4.

I strongly suspect that GM's "transfer case fluid" would be just fine in the NP transfer cases too.

Also, the Asin AW4 automatic slushbox in Cherokees was originally built with Dexron III in mind. But Chrysler issued a TSB to dealers a few years back stating that AW4 transmissions coming in for service should be now filled with ATF+4. I honestly don't have a clue how that transmission would react to thinner Dexron V. It would probably be fine.... but there's no downside to running ATF+4 in it, really. Its a little more expensive and the AW4 doesn't need the friction modifiers... but then its a very robust synthetic fluid and the modifiers don't harm the AW4 either. Your call on what you use... I'll use ATF+4 in my 2001 when it comes time for a tranny fluid change.

Yes, DexIII is still available aftermarket, but you gotta be a careful label-reader to get the right thing since Dex V is the new breed in the Dexron family.

I've heard of a couple of aging AW4s having them slip on ATF+4, but not Dex, due to the extra friction modifiers.

As far as the transfer case, any oil with a similar viscosity to Dex III or ATF+4 will be fine. That includes Dex, ATF+4, 5W-30 motor oil, a light gear oil, such as MTL. The biggest thing it cares about is that it's not too thick to pump in the cold.

Some people say using 5W-30 (changed every 10-15k rather than 30k like ATF) makes it a bit easier to shift, particularly getting out of 4wd without it sticking in 4PartTime for a couple seconds. FWIW, my 242 shifts fine with ATF+4 in it, although it could disengage a little faster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back