Checking the Oil

On a normal vehicle, ten to fifteen minutes is plenty of time. Some vehicles, Ford I think, have a longer time to wait. I find it safe to check after five minutes hot and just coming off the highway.
I also fine a difference in level between checking cold and hot (like an auto trans). I check mine hot.

I wonder how many engines had too much oil after stopping at a full-service gas station in "the good old days".

I remember working at my Uncle's Union 76 Station as a kid. We checked the air pressure in the customers' tires as well as the oil while I was filling their tank with gas. I remember pulling the dipstick and telling (and sometimes showing) the customer, "You're about 1 quart low..."

:oops:

Ed

What does your owners manual say? Most say bring the car up to operating temp, then wait at least 5 mins for the oil to drain back down and check it. I get the oil hot, and wait about 10 mins before checking it.

You could check it cold, but don't be surprised if the level is a tad below the full mark.

What does your owners manual say? Most say bring the car up to operating temp, then wait at least 5 mins for the oil to drain back down and check it. I get the oil hot, and wait about 10 mins before checking it.
'Most say'? I've never seen one that says that.

I always check in the morning dead cold. There are vehicles that call to be checked hot though. Harley motorcycles (dry sump) should be checked hot.

I check mine after sitting overnight, or at least 4 hours--like at lunchtime while at work, when I just want an excuse to go outside. Just easiest that way.

I'm sure there is some exotic out there that has to be checked 3 minutes after shutting down--or while running--but I'm not sure this method fails on any other engine. Reading the owners manual is best but... this seems like a fail-safe way. [Ok, I see Lyman's thread about Harley's being checked hot, got me there.] I also don't think +/-0.5 quart on the typical auto sump will matter, not unless if you have a 3 quart sump, and even then it likely doesn't matter.

I check mine cold. I think both manuals say three mins after shut down. There can’t be much difference hot or cold.

Not all cars say check it after the car has been at operating temperature, but many do.

Mazda 3 Owners Manual: Inspecting Engine Oil Level
  1. Be sure the vehicle is on a level surface.
  2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature.
  3. Turn it off and wait at least 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan.
  4. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, and reinsert it fully.

I find zero difference in oil level between a hot or cold engine on either of our cars. As long as I wait for oil to drain back when hot (15-10 min usually).

On my Rogue the difference between hot ↑ (10 minutes after shut down) and cold ↓ (first thing in the morning) is about 1/8 inch on the dip stick.

Back