Checking and adding fluid to transmissions without a dipstick.

Came across this video that may visually show how it's done for those not aware of the procedure. Just freeze the video at 11:30 to see the pipe in the pan that is responsible for the fluid level. Any fluid in the pan that is above that level will flow out if the drain plug is open, and thus adjust itself to the correct level automatically if the temperature is in the correct range. No need to mess with a dipstick that may be hard to read or show a different level on one side. Also, do not remove the drain plug with the engine off as the level will naturally be higher than the pipe, so the fluid will be too low afterwards. Fast forward to 12:20 to see the checking and filling procedure.

Nice article. I am about to service our GS with the Asin 6 speed.
I believe on the Honda CVTs you check the level with the engine off.
I just did my VW Passat with the Asin 6 speed. There is a T55 plug on the side that can be used to fill the transmission.

I have never serviced a traditional Honda gear transmission without a dipstick. The newest I have touched is my niece's 2015 Odyssey.
But that's good to know.

The CVT doesn't have a dipstick, but does have the tube where you fill it from the top. At least in the 9th gen Accord.

Honda used to design their automatic transmissions differently. Instead of planetary gears, they were more like an automated manual transmission. This includes the 2015 Odyssey.

The new 10-speed auto is Honda's first in-house automatic to use planetary gears, and there is also the ZF9 which is also planetary.

Nice article. I am about to service our GS with the Asin 6 speed.
I believe on the Honda CVTs you check the level with the engine off.

Apparently, there is a way to check the transmission fluid temperature without a scan tool or a infrared thermometer.

Many multimeters come with a thermocouple. Tape the thermocouple to the tranny case.
1) you'll have to make sure the thermocouple is placed at the correct region for an accurate level.
2) Toyota, has an approved method that does not require special tools to check for the temperature in the correct range. a "Jumper wire" isn't exactly a special tool (go to about 9:28 on the video where he starts discussing it)... since it took you 3 minutes to respond, I assume you didn't watch the video.

1) you'll have to make sure the thermocouple is placed at the correct region for an accurate level.
2) Toyota, has an approved method that does not require special tools to check for the temperature in the correct range. a "Jumper wire" isn't exactly a special tool (go to about 9:28 on the video where he starts discussing it)... since it took you 3 minutes to respond, I assume you didn't watch the video.
Tranny cases are aluminum, an excellent conductor of heat. This method is not just for Toyotas, but for all trannys that specify a temperature. Do not put the thermocouple on the bottom of the pan, that is probably some sort of plastic, Only place it on shiny metal.

Back