Checking & Adjusting Tire Pressure at the Repair Shop

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
California has a regulation that repair shops check and inflate each vehicle’s tires to the recommended tire pressure rating, with air or nitrogen, as appropriate, at the time of performing any automotive maintenance or repair service.

I'm wondering if other states or jurisdictions have a similar rule. Also, is this actually followed? What's been your experience with repair shops checking and adjusting tire inflation when a vehicle is brought in for repairs.

I work almost exclusively with two repair shops, and both of them make sure my tires are checked and properly inflated. However, perhaps in violation of the regulation, they inflate my tires to my specifications, not the manufacturers suggested or recommended inflation.

My only concern would be if someone has fitted a different spec tire, such as an E range LT tire, and the shop blindly follows the placard for the OEM-spec P-rated tires. That might not be a great surprise for someone who does heavy towing/hauling.

I'd wager that a majority of car owners today don't own or know how to use a tire gauge or know the proper pressure. Air pumps that (supposedly) inflate to a set pressure, usually at a convenience store, is most likely a go-to for most. I would suppose that the fast-lube places check tires, but I'm amazed, despite various TPMS systems in a lot of cars, how many vehicles I see driving with obviously under-inflated tires. Having been fortunate to have had several decent Honda dealers who service my cars, every service includes a Multipoint inspection that tells me tread depths and pressures set. I still always check the next day when the tires are cold and usually adjust and restart the TPMS calibration, but I'm a tad OCD about that.

I'd wager that a majority of car owners today don't own or know how to use a tire gauge or know the proper pressure. Air pumps that (supposedly) inflate to a set pressure, usually at a convenience store, is most likely a go-to for most. I would suppose that the fast-lube places check tires, but I'm amazed, despite various TPMS systems in a lot of cars, how many vehicles I see driving with obviously under-inflated tires. Having been fortunate to have had several decent Honda dealers who service my cars, every service includes a Multipoint inspection that tells me tread depths and pressures set. I still always check the next day when the tires are cold and usually adjust and restart the TPMS calibration, but I'm a tad OCD about that.

I mean, given the discussions over the years on here, an automotive enthusiast forum, where so many people have gone by the pressure on the tire itself, I'd say you are probably not far off.

I don't think that's a rule here, and I'm glad. I've never returned from Discount Tire with properly (or evenly) inflated tires. I wish everyone would dedicate a few minutes of their Saturday mornings to a tire pressure check. There'd be a lot fewer people running around with that telltale bulge at the bottom of the tire if they would.

I just think it is good business for repair shops regardless of location to make sure their customer's tires are properly inflated.
It's the law here in California, although I have my shops inflate to my specs which are kept in my file. The shops I use will always check a customer's pressure, just have to ask or drive into the shop. I've had shops where I'm not a customer also do it for me. Seems to be a standard practice around here.

Setting recommended pressure on a warm tire means the tire is under inflated. They need to be set while cold and out sunlight to be accurate. Setting while warm is better than doing nothing though.

Setting recommended pressure on a warm tire means the tire is under inflated. They need to be set while cold and out sunlight to be accurate. Setting while warm is better than doing nothing though.
That's why I always check, adjust pressures and recalibrate TPMS after a service, because it really takes 8+ hours for a tire to reach ambient temperature, service usually happens when the tires are at least warm (I'm a "waiter").Then there's the difference between active and passive TPMS. Recent Hondas have passive system that uses the anti-lock sensors and measures wheel RPM, can be fussy to set when temperatures change. It will also go off when the tires are overinflated and get hot from 90 degree temperatures and hot roads/high speeds. Lots of confusion even on the various Honda forums.

Last edited:
California has a regulation that repair shops check and inflate each vehicle’s tires to the recommended tire pressure rating, with air or nitrogen, as appropriate, at the time of performing any automotive maintenance or repair service.

I'm wondering if other states or jurisdictions have a similar rule. Also, is this actually followed? What's been your experience with repair shops checking and adjusting tire inflation when a vehicle is brought in for repairs.

I work almost exclusively with two repair shops, and both of them make sure my tires are checked and properly inflated. However, perhaps in violation of the regulation, they inflate my tires to my specifications, not the manufacturers suggested or recommended inflation.

The main goal is the tyres aren't underinflated to the point of being dangerous. The shop would be liable if that caused an accident. It's similar here, though not as litteral. We don't have the quick lube places that change just the oil and filter either for that reason

My MB calls for 37 front, 43 rear. Doesn't make sense to me to have higher pressure in rear so I use 37 all around.

It's the law here in California, although I have my shops inflate to my specs which are kept in my file. The shops I use will always check a customer's pressure, just have to ask or drive into the shop. I've had shops where I'm not a customer also do it for me. Seems to be a standard practice around here.
Tire pressure threads on this forum lately getting lots of attention? :)

In the shop there is a space specifically for a before and after psi. Here's the thing even in our shop we use the standard bayonet style inflator with pop out gauge. Some of you know the one everyone uses and kicks and toss all over the shop everyday. LOL

I use to rent cars from Enterprise (before they and most other rentals in the last year almost doubled their fee's) when we would go on our 4 day get always which is several times a year, I always rent the car a day ahead so that I can inspect it, i.e. brakes ,fluids, wipers, tire etc.. I always find something wrong with them. These cars are suppose to inspected routinely at a local chain and signed off. Yet I find tire pressure all over the place either to high or low and not even per axle.

BTW you all should you rent a car and find anything that is not correct note it and when you return the car/truck have them specifically add the comment to your turn in information. Then next time remind them and you should get a 1 or 2 up model from what you rented.
But dont try to rent the Corvette, or Porsches based on that they just look at you and smile. :cool:

tire pressure gauge/filler

Interesting: just checked filler door which says: 32 ft & bk...Normal. 33, 39 max load! Maybe I should lower my 37 all around to 35 or so?
Make sure you read the correct tire size. MB tends to specify different pressures for different sizes to make things extra confusing. ;)

I would follow their specified tire pressure for normal load. Be sure to also re-activate the TPMS monitor to establish the new thresholds.

Make sure you read the correct tire size. MB tends to specify different pressures for different sizes to make things extra confusing. ;)

I would follow their specified tire pressure for normal load. Be sure to also re-activate the TPMS monitor to establish the new thresholds.
Yes and BMW and MINI are the same. Have you found that the lack of customers changing there TPMS after 10+ years give less then accurate readings? :cool:
I have ...

Back